On this topic
Extension groups are used to determine what information is shown to whom. In addition, they help group the extension for both users and administrators. Note that an extension has to be part of at least one group.
Users can be assigned rights to see details of other members in their group, managers can be assigned elevated rights over users in their group. Rights are assigned based on Group membership. That means that a manager will be able to see call details of any member of their group, independent of the call destination or origin. Extensions can be part of multiple groups.
The Default group contains all extensions, whereby users of the group have no rights, but managers of this group can see information about all the extensions. Any extension you create will automatically be assigned to this group initially (until you remove it or assign it to another group). The Default Group is a group that is always present in 3CX Phone System. Managers assigned to this group can:
- See the call details of ALL extensions and queues (since all extensions are part of the default group unless you remove them from the group).
- Perform operations on ANY call in the system (Pickup, Transfer, Divert, Reject, Barge-in, and Park).
To create an extension group:
- In the 3CX Management Console, click on the “Groups” node and “Add” button.
- Specify a name for the Group.
- In the members section, click on the “Add” button to add members to the group.
- Select who will be the manager of the group. Typically this would be a department supervisor. You can configure one or more “Managers” for any group.
- Group Managers will be able to see the call details of everyone within that group.
The “Group Rights” tab specifies the default rights that are assigned to members:
- Global Rights apply to users AND managers.
- Manager rights apply to the managers of the Group.
- User rights apply only to the users in the Group.
Publish Group information to all members: This option publishes presence between the Group members (all the extensions can see your group presence and calls).
User & Manager Rights
- Select what rights a manager or user should have when member of the group.
- The options available for both users and managers are:
- Can see group members – Allows the user to see all group members presence.
- Can see group calls – Allows the user to see calls made by group members.
- Show presence to group members – Shows the user’s presence to group members.
- Show calls to group members – Shows user’s calls to group members.
- Perform operations (divert, transfer, take) on any active call to group members.
- Can Barge in, listen or whisper – Can barge in to calls made by group members.
- Can Intercom – Allows the user to intercom other extensions.
- Can Park calls – Allows the user to park calls so that other users can pick them up.
- Can control IVR – Allows user to control the IVR.
- Can manage the Company Phonebook – Allows the user to add/ edit/ delete contacts from the Company Phonebook via the 3CX client for Windows.
- Click “OK” when done.
- Information on delegating 3CX Management Console access, along with use case examples read our Extension Management chapter.