Outbound Rules - Routing outgoing calls
On this topic
Outbound rules dictate how 3CX routes outgoing calls. Calls can be routed via different trunks (gateways or SIP Trunks) based on who or which group is making the call, the number that is being dialled or the length of the number. You will need to create at least one outbound rule to start making outbound calls on 3CX!
Creating outbound rules
To create an outbound rule:
- From the 3CX Management Console “Outbound Rules” node, select “Add,” and enter a name for the new rule.
- Specify the criteria that should be matched for this outbound rule to be triggered. In the “Apply this rule to these calls” section, specify any of the following options:
- Calls to numbers starting with prefix – Apply this rule to all calls starting with the number you specify. For example, enter 9 to specify that all calls starting with a 9 are outbound calls and should trigger this rule. Callers should dial “9123456” to reach number “123456.”
- Calls from extension(s) – Select this option to define a particular extension or extensions range for which this rule applies. Specify one or more extensions separated by commas, or specify a range using a “-,” for example 100-120.
- Calls to numbers with a length of – Select this option to apply the rule to numbers with a particular digit length, for example 8 digits. This way you can capture calls to local area numbers or national numbers without requiring a prefix.
- Calls from extension group – Rather than specifying individual extensions, you can select an extension group.
- Now specify how outbound calls should be routed. In the “Make outbound calls on” section, select up to five routes for the call. Each defined gateway or provider will be listed as a possible route. If the first route is not available or busy, 3CX Phone System will automatically try the second route.
- The alternative outbound routes will have to be configured in order for calls to take these routes, when the first is unavailable. By default other routes “Block Calls.”
- You can transform the number that matches the outbound rule before the call is routed to the selected gateway or provider using the “Strip Digits” and “Prepend” fields for each route:
- Strip Digits – Allows you to remove one or more digits from the called number. Use this to remove the prefix before a call is dialled on the gateway or provider if it is not required. In the example above, you would specify to remove one digit, in order to remove the prefix “9” before it is dialled.
- Prepend – Allows you to add one or more digits at the beginning of the number if this is required by the provider or gateway.
Caller ID Reformatting (Caller ID Rewrite)
Here you can find more information about Caller ID reformatting