Twilio - Elastic SIP Trunking
On this topic
Twilio offers a quick way of ordering individual phone numbers for international customers. We have tested their product “Elastic SIP Trunking” with 3CX and below is a short guide on how to set it up.
Reference Web Address: Twilio
Before configuring the SIP trunk it is required to go through the following checklist and make changes where necessary:
- NAT (when used) created to 3CX
- Firewall Checker passed
- Firewall SIP ALG checked and if present disabled
Further setup information can be found in our Academy: 3CX Academy Basic course
Some providers gained support and compatibility with 3CX on a specific product version. It is advisable to always run the latest version of 3CX to ensure ongoing compatibility.
Minimum 3CX Version: 3CX Phone System 15.5
Below is a short overview of the provider's capabilities and services and whether they’re supported or not:
- CLNS (Clip No Screening): Yes
- Catch All Routing: Yes, static SI per trunk
- Fax in T38: No
- CLIR (Number Suppression): Yes
- DTMF via RFC 2833: Yes
- Codec Order: G711U
- NAT Support: Yes
- Other:Static Public IP required, TLS is not supported
In order to use Twilio trunks with 3CX, some settings must be made within the provider's portal.
It’s best to start from the Twilio getting started guidelines: https://www.twilio.com/docs/api/sip-trunking/getting-started
- Navigate to Elastic SIP Trunking
- Create a new Trunk
- Leave all settings as default. However, you may need to allow countries to be called as Twillio offers an own country code blocking list
- In the Termination section select a Termination SIP URI. The selected URI must be replaced in 3CX with the string [Termination SIP URI] and is unique per Twilio trunk.
- Within the Authentication section create
IP ACCESS CONTROL LISTS - matching 3CX’s static public IP address
CREDENTIAL LIST - which needs to be entered into 3CX even if the provider settings would indicate the trunk is IP based.
- In the Origination section Add new Origination URI.
- Last add numbers to this trunk
The Twilio SIP Trunks must be configured solely using + e164 number format (+18135791691) or calls will be rejected.
Outbound Caller ID
For the operation of the trunks, the outbound caller ID of the trunk must be present. This will ensure that a call can still be placed in the event that no outbound caller ID is set for the extension.
In order to comply with the + e.164 number format, the setting must be disabled in 3CX Settings - E.164 otherwise every dialed +Number would be converted according to the ruleset.
Additionally, some outbound rules need to be created. As Twilio operates internationally you may need to update the list below to cover the “user's dialing pattern” in order to fetch each and convert it into + e.164 numbers. The sample below is for an EU customer (00), Germany (49), Hannover (511).
Hint: If Outbound Rules are additionally restricted to specific Groups and/or extension, system extension cannot place outbound calls, such as the Conference Server! More information about Outbound Rules and how they work can be found here.
DIDs / Inbound Rules
As the inbound numbers are fixed to the + e.164 number format each DID is is required to enter the full string format including the +
- Fullformat : +18135791691
In case a DID is not created, the call destination will follow the main destination number.