How to Configure Grandstream GXP17XX Series
On this topic
Supported Models: Grandstream GXP17XX series
Step 1: Upgrade to the Required Firmware
Ensure that the phone is running on the required firmware by 3CX. In case the device needs manual updating download the latest distributed required firmware by 3CX here. To check the phone firmware the phones and how to upgrade read this guide: How to manually upgrade Grandstream IP Phones.
Step 2: Factory Reset the IP Phone
Before provisioning the IP phone, the phone must be brought back to its factory default settings in case the device has residual settings of a previous configuration. To reset the device read our guide on How to Factory Reset Grandstream phones.
Step 3: Provision the phone
There are two ways to provision a phone:
- Plug & Play - For phones on the local LAN or behind the 3CX SBC.
- RPS - For phones on remote networks that will connect directly to 3CX and use STUN
For more information, see “When can I use which provisioning method?”.
Local LAN or SBC: Provision via Plug’n’Play
- Connect the phone to the network. A PnP request will be sent automatically to 3CX.
- Go to the Management Console ⇒ “Phones” page. The new phone will be marked in Bold.
- Click on the BOLD entry and choose between “Assign Ext” or “Add Ext”, depending on whether you want to assign the phone to an existing extension or create a new one.
- All major provisioning settings are pre-populated. If your PBX has multiple network cards, select which network this IP Phone is connected to.
- Click “OK”. The phone will automatically configure and reboot to finalize the setup.
Remote phones: Provision via RPS server
- Take note of the phone’s MAC address, usually written at the back of the phone.
- Navigate to the Management Console ⇒ “Phones” and press “+ Add Phone”.
- From the dropdown list select the extension to which this phone must be assigned.
- In the next dialog select the Vendor/Model of the phone and enter the device’s MAC address.
- Switch the “Provisioning Method” to “Direct SIP (Stun - Remote)” and click “OK”.
- You can make sure that the extension is ready to be configured via RPS by checking the “Event Log” from the dashboard:
If the message appears as a “Warning” follow the instructions outlined in the message and use the Manual Link Provisioning method outlined here.
- The phone is now ready to be provisioned - you can boot up the phone anywhere.
- The phone will boot twice and prompt for username and a password: Enter the the extension number as the username (press OK) and the voicemail PIN as the password (press OK again).
Step 4: Extended Phone Configuration
IP phones can be tweaked to match the user’s needs or the phone can be rolled out in default configuration. They can also be altered at a later stage and changes can be applied via the “Management Console → Phones → Select Device → Re-Provision”:
- IP Phone Configuration Options, configurable per device of the extension
- IP Phone BLF/DSS assignment, global for all devices of the extension
- IP Phone Vlan management, configurable per device of extension
- The first two keys are configured as line keys (via the template), and can't be changed, otherwise the phone will not be able to make calls