Managing Calls Using the Receptionist View
On this topic
All small and large companies have at least one receptionist or secretary. This person must be efficient and be able to manage many calls simultaneously. The 3CX clients offer the key to productivity. The inbuilt Switchboard provides you with the Receptionist view which allows you to see active calls, remote presence status and extensions all grouped together in tabs. To access the presence screen:
- Click on the “Switchboard” button in your 3CX client for Windows or Mac. The expanded presence window will appear.
- Change the View option to “Receptionist.”
Managing Incoming Calls
- In your presence screen you can see all the incoming calls marked in orange.
- You can pick up, divert or drop a call by right-clicking on the call and selecting the desired option.
- You can transfer calls to other colleagues by dragging this call and dropping it on the desired user.
Managing Answered Calls
You can also manage calls even when the call is answered by the recipient.
Right click on the ongoing call for the list of the following options to appear:
Additional information: You may have supplementary options such as Barge in, Listen or Whisper if you are running the PRO edition. In order to view the options, the administrator must give you the appropriate permissions.
Parked calls are calls that have been put on hold so that another user can also pick them up. You can park a call by right-clicking on the selected call through the Receptionist view. You can transfer, unpark or drop a parked call by right clicking on the call and choosing the required action from the drop down menu. The Parked calls feature is available only if you have been assigned the right from your administrator.
You can transfer calls in two ways:
- By selecting the call, right clicking and choosing transfer.
- By dragging the call from the top window onto the person you want to transfer the call to. This feature is available only for Windows.
Drag and Drop (Windows)
With the “Drag and Drop” feature, you can perform both “Blind” and “Attended” transfers. There is only one default transfer method which can be set from “Settings > Advanced Settings > Behavior” “Transfers using drag and drop” section. In order to use the other mode, you have to press the Ctrl button on your keyboard whilst dragging the call.
- Blind Transfer - The call will be transferred immediately to the recipient without any announcement. If the recipient doesn’t answer or is busy then the call will be returned to you and you can choose to take a different action.
- Attended transfer - The caller will be put on hold and you will call the recipient to announce the caller. To execute transfer click on the “Transfer” button. This mode is available only for calls carried out by you. In order to make an “Attended Transfer” to a call between two other people, you will have to first take the call and then proceed.