Freshdesk CRM Integration
On this topic
3CX provides out of the box integration with Freshdesk. This plugin opens the contact record in Freshdesk, creates a new contact if the inbound caller is not found, and creates a new ticket bound to the contact when the call ends so the agent can take notes. Launching outbound calls from the Freshdesk interface is also available by adding a customization.
- 3CX v15 PRO edition
- The 3CX client for Windows installed and running
- FreshDesk account
Prerequisite: Your IT Admin needs to give your extension the right to integrate with your CRM of choice.
Configuring the Freshdesk Plugin
- In order to open the configuration dialog, press the “Settings” button in the 3CX client for Windows.
- Select “Advanced Settings” and then click “Integration”. The configuration dialog will be shown.
Click on “General” to open the general settings page. From here you can configure the “Contact Open Mode” and the “Behavior”:
Contact Open Mode
- From the drop down menu select when you want the contact record to be opened in Freshdesk (on ring, on answer, or don’t open it)
- “Only show CRM contact details when Caller ID length is larger than” - To open the contact record if the Caller ID length is larger than a number of digits set by you (so it’s not launched when another extension is calling you).
- Check the “Enable Journaling” option to automatically create a ticket to enter notes. When this option is set, the plugin will create a new ticket in Freshdesk, already bound to the contact matched, when the call ends.
- “Create a new contacts if not found.” Enable this to create new entries when the Caller ID is not found.
- “Maximum digit length to compare.” When an inbound call arrives at your extension, the caller ID may have different formats depending on your PSTN or VoIP Provider. It could have an international format (including the country code), national format (including the region or city code), or local format (including only the local number).
Also, you may have added your contact’s phone numbers in your Freshdesk account with prefixes that are not present in the caller ID, such as mobile phone prefixes. In this case, to match the caller ID with the contact’s phone number, you need to specify the maximum digit length to compare parameter. Usually this parameter should be the length of your local phone number.
The Freshdesk plugin will compare the final number digits of the Caller ID with the final number digits that appear in your contact’s phone number. If you configure this parameter to compare a high number of digits, there's a greater chance that the Caller ID will match up with the contact, but it's possible that the Caller ID will not always match up with some contacts. If you configure the maximum digit length to compare to a lower number of digits, you get less accuracy when matching the Caller ID with your contacts.
Now, you need to fill in the Authentication section with your “Freshdesk domain” and “API key.”
The Domain should be set to the URL that you use as your entry point to Freshdesk, as shown in the screenshot above.
To get your API key you need to login to your FreshDesk account, click on your profile icon and select “Profile Settings”. Your API Key will be shown on the right side menu.
Finally, when opening a contact record or ticket, you can specify if you want it to be opened in your default browser or configure the plugin to open them using a different browser.
Important: You must restart your 3CX client in order for the configuration to apply.
When an inbound call arrives at your extension and a contact is matched, the contact record will be automatically shown in your selected browser.
If the contact is not matched and the option on your client “Create new contacts if not found” is checked, Freshdesk will automatically open an empty form in a new tab to create the new contact.
When the call ends and if the option “Enable Journaling” is checked, Freshdesk will automatically open a new ticket in a separate tab, already bound to the contact matched, where you can enter notes about the call.
Launching Calls from Freshdesk
If your administrator has customized the Freshdesk account you will be able to launch calls directly via Freshdesk.
- Go to “Customers” tab and select the desired “Contact”.
- On the right side menu you will see the option “Call via 3CX” and the available numbers. Press on the desired phone to call.
- Once clicked on the number a pop-up will appear “External Protocol Request”. Press “Launch Application.”
- The 3CX client for Windows will be automatically launched with the number dialled. Just press the button to initiate the call.