Configuring Welltech WellGate 2424s FXS with 3CX
Supported Models Welltech WellGate 2424s
FXS gateways connect internal analog devices such as fax machines and phones and register them as extensions / fax extensions to your 3CX. Those extensions can be addressed as normal phones however their functionality is limited due to the capabilities of the analog technology.
- The device must be local to 3CX, in the same subnet and/or locally routed subnet (including site to site VPN)
Prepare WellGate FXS Gateway
Make sure that your Welltech device is factory reset. If not, reset the Wellgate by pressing and holding the “Reset” button for 5 seconds.
Important: All the IP configurations are done via the LAN port but the device later utilizes the WAN Port!
- Connect your network to the device’s LAN port.
- Assign your PC the IP address 192.168.123.122.
- Open the browser to the IP http://192.168.123.123 (device boot needs ~5 minutes)
- Log in with root / root.
- Download the following firmware wg24.4.02b and apply it from the web interface “Maintenance” → “Firmware Update”. (device update needs ~5 minutes)
- Once the device is updated navigate to “Device Settings” → “Advanced” and ensure that “Service Access” is allowed from WAN.
- Switch to “Device Settings” → “Network” → “WAN Setting” set “Network Type” to “Fixed IP” and define an IP address from your local area network (e.g 192.168.3.100). Important: Set the LAN Settings Mode to Management!
- Apply the changes (reboot the device).
- Unplug your network cable from the LAN port and place it into the WAN port. Once you can access the web interface on the above assigned IP address proceed with the setup.
Step 1: Add and Choose Device
Navigate to “FXS/DECT” within the 3CX Management Console and select “Add FXS/DECT”:
- Select Brand: Welltech
- Select model/device: Welltech WellGate-2424s FXS GW
- MAC Address: Enter the Welltech’s “WAN MAC Address”
- Press “OK” to save the device.
Step 2: FXS Line Setup
You need to define the device and line specific options:
- Gateway Hostname or IP: Enter your Welltech FXS device’s IP address.
- Gateway SIP Port: Enter “5060”
- Subnet Mask: Enter your Network Mask size (e.g. 255.255.255.0)
Step 3: Map extensions
Navigate to “Extension” tab in the “FXS/Dect” device to assign the extensions which should be housed on this device.
Follow the above table in order to define which extensions will be using each port on the FXS gateway. In the example above, port 1 on the FXS Gateway will be mapped to extension 101, port 2 will be mapped to extension 102 and so on. Finalize the configuration by saving the config with “OK”.
Note: If you plan on using fax machines on the FXS gateway, please create dedicated fax extensions in the “Fax Extension” menu (Refer to step 5 for information on how to do this).
Step 4: Provision the Gateway
Reopen the just created FXS device and click on the “Provisioning URL”. A file will be downloaded to your PC which will be used in a few moments.
- Open the web browser and connect to your Welltech FXS device.
- Log in with root / root.
- In “Maintenance” → Select “Restore (*.cfg)” and press “Apply”. A new dialog opens in which the previously downloaded XXXXXXXXXXXX.cfg file needs to be imported.
Step 5: Add Fax extension (Optional)
In case you are using fax machines connected to your FXS gateway, “Fax Extensions” must be used instead of using a regular extension. You can do so by:
- Go to the 3CX Management Console.
- Navigate to “FAX Extensions → +Add”.
- Define the “Fax Extension”, the “Fax Extension Authentication ID” and the “Fax Extension Authentication Password”.