• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

How to integrate Lync 2010 and 3CX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxesse

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I know this is a subject discussed to death in the past years, with 3CX considering OCS a competing product and not providing any plans of integration, but I was wondering if the situation has changed as of late?
I'm implementing Lync 2010 in our organisation, which is awesome for all the features it provides, although, like many other people I'd like to integrate the enterprise voice features with 3cx, so that I could use it as a gateway to the external PSTN network, do calls to internal extensions and receive them using the Lync client.

I know that although not supported, some people in the past managed to make the thing work, Lync supports plain SIP over TCP connection, we can force 3CX to use the G.711 codec, so it seems to me like we'd be 90% there already, has anyone got a little guide on how to set up the bridging between the 2 systems in the best and most effective way? I looked everywhere on the net at no avail unfortunately.

Let me know your thoughts/suggestions!
Thanks,
Max

maxesse said:
Lync supports plain SIP over TCP connection...

Which (I may be wrong) is part of the problem as most other systems/PBX's use UDP ?.

Get ready to be shot down as it seems that if you mention a competitor PBX you get the thread locked or deleted ;-)

Well I already noticed posts disappearing from the thread that were there a few days ago...

Anyways, re the SIP over TCP matter, I know you can enable secure SIP in 3CX by adding a certificate, which is basically SIP over TLS, so it *should* work.
Now, i'm not sure what's gonna happen if I enable it, will the normal UDP protocol still work or all my phones will suddenly stop connecting to the server?

Any ideas? Success stories?

Well if it's of any use, I found the following article that explains how to configure a Freeswitch as a bridge for the two protocols (SIP over TCP and SIP over UDP), they configure it in order to connect OCS to a SIP trunk, but I think I will manage to reroute the calls via 3CX using the Direct UDP bridging function.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsservertelephony/thread/0d5e8ca6-1b8a-4ed7-ac4f-816e5c814921

If anybody is interested I managed to integrate the two systems together using Freeswitch as a bridge, I posted a guide here.
http://blog.skinkers.com/2011/02/01/integrating-microsoft-lync-2010-and-3cx-using-freeswitch/

Of course it's not a supported solution, it's not endorsed either by Microsoft or 3CX and shouldn't be used in production, but if you're daring and don't mind to get your hands dirty, there you go.

Quality work. Please keep us updated on this.

Having integration between OCS/Lync and 3CX will help 3CX to beat its competitors who offer integration.

Thank-you! 8)

Hi All

Note: This is not officially supported. This is a tip to get routing of calls between 3CX and Lync working.

Assume that the Lync server has an FQDN of mylync.domain.com

To achieve this you need to do the following:

Create a Voip Provider in 3CX Management console (Add Voip Provider > Generic - Trunk)
In the SIP Server hostname or IP add the following:
transport-tcp.mylync.domain.com
(you need to add transport-tcp.FQDN of LYNC)
Port - Enter the SIP Port of the Lync Server - default 5060

Apply OK - You should get incoming and outgoing calls.

nickybrg said:
Create a Voip Provider in 3CX Management console (Add Voip Provider > Generic - Trunk)
In the SIP Server hostname or IP add the following:
transport-tcp.mylync.domain.com
(you need to add transport-tcp.FQDN of LYNC)
Port - Enter the SIP Port of the Lync Server - default 5060

Apply OK - You should get incoming and outgoing calls.

@Nickybrg
You are right, this works like a charme also to and from Lync 2013 :)

Would you happen to have a idea, how we can conenct to the Lync by using TLS. We are installing with a customer, and they demand that we use Lync as our SIP Provider, and they demand that we connect with TLS. I know about the "not supported feelings" however the Costumer only have one Lync, but we might be able to implement up to 30 3CX´s here, so a solution is needed. (We dont really need the TLS in the internal LAN, we just need it to connect to the SIP Trunk)

We currently use 3CX v11 SP4

Thanks in advance.
/JED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCTECHZONE
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.