• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Phone Templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

travstoll

Reaction score
I use several custom phone templates. In v15, if I make changes and re-provision,

the template info on the phone seems to stay cached. I have tried changing the

templates for my Yealink T23G's in both the following locations, but the info for

the config still stays 'cached'. If I go to Phones "Specific Phone" > Config, I see

the old config even after a re-provision.

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Templates\phones

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\<AuthGenDir>

\CustomTemplates\phones

On v14, this was not an issue, if I made changes and reprovisioned, the changes would be reflected. There seems to be some sort of caching going on that isn't letting the phones grab the new changes in the template.

Not sure this is still an issue - but previously a template change had no effect on the template for a phone. a change had to be made to the extension - and only then the config file was recreated.
I thought i read a change was coming to this behavior... but maybe not.

I am having similar results with updating firmware on some Yealink T38 fw 38.70.0.221 & T48 fw 35.80.0.95.

roadwings said:
I am having similar results with updating firmware on some Yealink T38 fw 38.70.0.221 & T48 fw 35.80.0.95.

T23-44.80.0.130.rom for me. Works on the v14 latest build and yealink firmware though.

@travstoll

Here are the correct steps to have the up to dated custom templates:
1. Open Management Console and navigate to Settings->Templates page;
2. From drop-down list select the needed template (let say yealinkT4x.ph.xml) and press Copy button;
3. Rename the file (let say to custom_yealinkT4x) and press OK.
The new custom template will be saved in "C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\<AuthGenDir>\CustomTemplates\phones" folder.
4. Navigate to that folder, edit the "custom_yealinkT4x.ph.xml" file and do all needed modifications;
5. Open Management Console, navigate to Extensions page and edit/add the appropriate extension
6. Go to Phone Provisioning tab and add the new phone;
7. From the "Choose from available models" select the Yealink model which will have the custom template name in the description and press OK;
8. Press OK to save the Extension settings and provision (re-provision) the phone.

@roadwings
Can you elaborate more what is the issue?

Aram said:
@travstoll

Here are the correct steps to have the up to dated custom templates:
1. Open Management Console and navigate to Settings->Templates page;
2. From drop-down list select the needed template (let say yealinkT4x.ph.xml) and press Copy button;
3. Rename the file (let say to custom_yealinkT4x) and press OK.
The new custom template will be saved in "C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\<AuthGenDir>\CustomTemplates\phones" folder.
4. Navigate to that folder, edit the "custom_yealinkT4x.ph.xml" file and do all needed modifications;
5. Open Management Console, navigate to Extensions page and edit/add the appropriate extension
6. Go to Phone Provisioning tab and add the new phone;
7. From the "Choose from available models" select the Yealink model which will have the custom template name in the description and press OK;
8. Press OK to save the Extension settings and provision (re-provision) the phone.

Aram-

Thank you for the clarification. I was able to push the custom template to all my phones now, but I had to delete and re-create each on each user to push the new custom template to the phone. This functionality makes sense as it stands today, but I believe when using a custom template, whatever is in the template should be pushed when re-provisioned even if changes are made to it, not just what is cached on the that phones config as happens today. If I am missing something, please let me know.

As reference to phone-emplates-problems-45266.html , I also have problems with customizing templates.

I've done exactly the steps 1-8 from above, but my phone still uses the original template and not the copy that I've modified.

What function should have the button "+Copy" under the phones page?
When I press this +Copy button a window "Edit template" opens. But it isn't possible to edit here and it don't show my modified template copy.

-Markus

Are you an the final version of V15?

After you make the changes to the copy of the template that was created in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\<AuthGenDir>\CustomTemplates\phones
you should restart the services of the PBX and the ngix service from the services.msc.

Your new custom template should appear in the management console and can reprovision your phones with the new template.

YiannisH_3CX said:
Are you an the final version of V15?

After you make the changes to the copy of the template that was created in C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Http\Interface\provisioning\<AuthGenDir>\CustomTemplates\phones
you should restart the services of the PBX and the ngix service from the services.msc.

Your new custom template should appear in the management console and can reprovision your phones with the new template.

The template was available in the management console without restart of services.
But, after I have restartet the services now, the template was pushed finally and it seems to work.
thanks
Markus

Yannish:

Just so I understand, if i make a change to a template i would need to restart the services on the PBX for the change to take effect. Once the services are restarted, then I can reprovision the phones with the newly modified template.

--Tracy

Yes that is correct. After you modify the templates you need to restart the services before re-provisioning the phones

YiannisH_3CX said:
Yes that is correct. After you modify the templates you need to restart the services before re-provisioning the phones

What? You have to restart the entire phone system to update a provisioning template?!

And from what I can see, you cannot restart services from the new web interface either?

Come on guys, this is getting ridiculous. I now understand the saying 'Zero Admin', as there are Zero ways to administer the system!

Yannish:

I just want to double check here. If i have 200 phones and want to change the custom template on 10, I would either RDP or someother way to restart all of the services of the pbx effectively shutting it down so that it would then read in the new customized template for me to then reprovision the phones?

If that is the case, can we change the behavior of this?

I find it very silly to shutdown the system to change a setting where in previous versions of 3cx, if i changed the customized template that affected some phones, all i had to do was change the template and reprovision those phones.

--Tracy

@Markus
Please follow the steps which I added above.
Copy button (step 2) allows you to save the default template in the Custom Templates folder. After that you can navigate the Custom Templates folder, edit the saved template and make your needed modification there (not in the Management Console).

@all others
First of all - modification in the template doesn't require the restart of all services, only Management Console service need to be restarted.

To use the custom templates YOU DON'T NEED TO RESTART ANY OF SERVICES.
Just follow the steps added above and you will be able to provision the phones with your customized templates.

You need to restart the Management Console service when using the custom templates ONLY if you already added that custom template and used it to provision the phones.
Yes, here you need to restart the Management Console service because the modified template is already in the system and used in the extensions settings.
Instead of restarting the Management Console service you can do the following:
1. Go to Custom Templates folder and copy/paste the template somewhere else (let say on desktop);
2. Go to Phone Provisioning tab of needed extension and delete the phone which is using that custom template.
3. Go to Template Settings page, select the custom template from the drop-down list and Delete it;
4. Do needed modifications in the copy/pasted template file, Add it again and repeat the steps 6-8.

YiannisH_3CX said:

But where do you re-start any of the services - in V14, there was an option to do this but it seems to have "vanished" from V15.

Or do you mean you have to go into Administrative Tools-> Services in Windows to do this ?

Thanks

Aram said:
First of all - modification in the template doesn't require the restart of all services, only Management Console service need to be restarted.

To use the custom templates YOU DON'T NEED TO RESTART ANY OF SERVICES.
Just follow the steps added above and you will be able to provision the phones with your customized templates.

You need to restart the Management Console service when using the custom templates ONLY if you already added that custom template and used it to provision the phones.

If you might need to restart the management console service you need to go to the windows services. Services can be restarted through the management console except the
Management console service
Database server service and
Configuration server service

The rest you can highlight and restart at once. Those 3 are vital for the operation of the PBX and if they need to be restarted is necessary to go through windows services.

After creating an extension and assigning a template and entering MAC Address and hitting SAVE - I am not seeing any CFG files.
Are these not in the provisioning directory anymore? The URL seems to indicate they should be here.

Craig:

It looks like from my testing with 15 that the NGIX webserver creates them on the fly when asked for them. I had the same problem where the files weren't created but when i typed in the url manually to the browser, i was able to download the cfg file.

--Tracy

When I clicked the Provision Now button on the Grand.stream phone - it didn't do anything. But when the phone showed up in the Phone Tab - And I selected and assigned extension it finally worked.
Interesting change. I guess this way the file is never stale like previous versions.

Can we please have the option to restart ALL services from the UI? I don't want people to be accessing the underlying OS for normal support operations. In many cases, this means gaining extra access to the site to ,be able to manage the underlying PC.

Cheers

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.