• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Solution to using Obi110 with 3cx Phone System v10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ideasmiths

Reaction score
For the benefits of all users, here is a guide to setup Obi110 with the 3cx Phone System version 10.This guide is divided into different parts to make it easier to follow. Please read the Subject title of later posts for those areas of interest to you

I will try to use simple English terms so first time users of 3cx/SIP/voice gateways such as Obi110 can setup a working solution quickly. When I first started trying to setup my Linksys SPA 3102 with 3cx around May 2011, it was quite difficult following the jargons used in various forums so i can understand how first timers may feel lost. My apology to more advance users for the lengthy posts and 'twisted' SIP terms because I am still a beginner user of SIP.

Please be patience, I have just started setting this up on 28 July 2010 and from home, i will slowly add in more settings along the way and it will go live when i bring it to the office. The pictures and more posts will be made with additional settings

My apology if the pictures look fuzzy but due to the 50kb limitations of most images allowed on forum boards, I had to shrink the size and quality of the images to fit onto the forum screen. You can use the center button of your mouse (in firefox) to click on the picture which will display the better quality/larger size original pictures in a new tab.

Before we start, please read the Obi110 user manual to do the most basic of things first. For example, i recommend

a) Go to System Management->Device Update->Backup Configuration, click on all 3 checkboxes and do a backup of the Obi110 configuration along the way,especially when some settings worked. In the future, any changes that breaks the Obi110 you can then restore to a working solution.

b) How to use a analog phone to access the Obi110 star menu to find out various settings of the Obi110. For example press *** on the phone followed by 1 to find out the IP address of the Obi110. Then enter this IP into web browser (eg firefox) to reach the build in configuration page of the Obi110 to change the settings. The default user AND password of the Obi110 is admin

Note that Obi110 has a good user interface, any settings changed has the checkbox unticked, when you tick the box again, the default values will be used again. Hence from this point on, spot any unticked checkbox for the changed settings so I don't have to draw red boxes around them and clutter the image.

Step 1 is to setup a static IP addresses for the Obi110 and the computer running the 3cx

A static IP address is one that doesn't change (ie static) so that the computer running the 3cx Phone System software and the Obi110 can find each others on the network again if any rebooting occurs. The network setup part is beyond the scope of this guide so please google for knowledge

In mysetup:
Router IP is 192.168.100.1
Laptop IP is 192.168.100.26 (this is the computer running the 3cx Phone system Version 10)
Obi110 IP is 192.168.100.24
Linksys SPA3102 IP is 192.168.100.25

You can set the static IP of the Obi110 as follow.

5wWGL.jpg

Step 2 - Introducing the Setup Wizard of Obi110

From brand new out of the box, making a few settings changes on ONE single page on the Obi110 will enable it to work for some limited functions. (ie the phone will ring). This single page is known as the Setup Wizard page and it consolidate the most commonly used settings which when changed is 'mirrored' (ie copied) to the proper Groups and sub levels of the Obi110 configuration. You then only go into the various Groups and sub levels if you want to fine tune specific settings.

Reactions: yag
Register Obi110 as a voice gateway for 3cx

Step 3- Settings to be made on the 3cx Phone System Management Console

I want to connect a wire from the wall socket to the line port of the Obi110 so that i can make outward call using the traditional analog services. For this to work I need to register the Obi110 with the 3cx as a voice gateway.

At the 3cx Phone System Management Console, create a PSTN gateway with the settings as shown. For simplicity, I used the defaults value 10001 given by 3cx for port, ID and password. Copy these settings down

HJmsq.jpg

Step 4 - Settings to be made on the Setup Wizard Page of the Obi110

QOdvq.jpg

Step 5 - Check that the Obi110 is registered to the 3cx Phone System

Once you are correct in 'pointing' the computer and the Obi110 to each other, the obi110 will register successfully and turn green in the 3cx status. When I first started using 3cx in May 2011, I spend 2 days running in circle and my LinkSys 3102 cannot register to the 3cx. There were also tons of questions asking "why can't I register XYZ device to 3cx, ABC device to 3cx and so on" in many forums. The problems are normally 5 settings values.

1) IP address of the computer running the 3cx Phone system : 192.168.100.26 in my case
2) IP address of the device : 192.168.100.24 in this example for the Obi110. Also this IP should be static (ie it stays 192.168.100.24) or else the next time you boot up everything, the registration fails again because the Obi110 or your device is assigned another IP address
3) Check that each service of a device has a different Port address. For example, Line 1 of the Obi110 i use 5060, and if I am going to use the Phone line then I need to set this to 5061 (ie different from 5060). Most devices like Obi110 and Linksys 3102 default the ports to 5060 and it is a subtle bug that is hard to spot.
4) Obviously make sure the username and password is correct. In this case my Obi110 is username:10001 and password: 10001

wkl5Z.jpg

Set Obi110 Line 1 for analog calls

Step 6 - Setup the Line 1 of the Obi110

The Obi110 can have 2 Internet Telephony Service Provider defined as ITSP Profile A and B. These are for you to register your additional SIP services besides ObiTalk. Because we are going to use the 3cx Phone system, we set the ITSP Profile A to the 3cx phone system back in step 3 to 5. The Startup Wizard page send the settings to the default ITSP which is Profile A.

The Obi110 defined any attempt to use it from outside as inbound calls route. So when 3cx tries to use port 10001, Obi110 will detected this as ITSP InboundCallRoute) By default the value of ITSP InboundCallRoute is ph which is the Phone port of the Obi110. (ie the analog phone will ring if connected to the phone port)

Change the value to LI1 to use the Line 1 of the Obi110 (shorthand as LI1).

RXEpd.jpg

4rTqX.jpg

That's it, the OBi110 is now working. When I dial a number using the 3cx softphone version 6, it rings and a call is made out of the Line 1 of the Obi110.

Very nice, thanks for pointing this together. I am sure it will help someone out.

Step 9 - Disconnect tones and dial tones

I am from Singapore, so here are the tones settings. The various official settings for Singapore tones as set by IDA in Singapore. Setting up the disconnect tone is important to me as when I made calls using the 3cx softphone on my PC and out via the PSTN line, I want the softphone to detect when the other party hangs up the call. The disconnect tone is different for each country so you may need to set it up for correct detection.

You can check those for your country at this great 'free' resource at 3am systems

YD6IL.jpg

KKORU.jpg

Obi110 user manaul states that the tonepattern definitation are as follow.

For example dial tone 350-18,440-18
means 1st frequency at 350Hz with strength at -18dBm, the 2nd frequency at 440 Hz with strength at -18dBm and the expiration time is infinite, the tone active time is infiinite

Busy tone 480-18,620-18;10;(.5+.5)

1st frequent at 480 Hz at -18dBm and 2nd frequency at 620 Hz at -18dBm, the expiration time is 10 seconds. It has only one cadence segment, which has tone active 0.5 second and tone inactive 0.5 second.

dVPX9.jpg

As you can see, the Obi110 has quite a good user interface for you to enter the settings. The rest of the settings are customizable to your location so I won't be able to help there

Where are the incoming settings? PSTN to 3CX call..

Ideasmiths said:
Most devices like Obi110 and Linksys 3102 default the ports to 5060 and it is a subtle bug that is hard to spot.

The 3102 defaults the line port to 5060 and the PSTN port to 5061. Problems (frustration) arise because 3CX chose to default the FXO port, when using a 3102, to 5062 (don't ask me why). So... if it isn't changed to that in the 3102, it will have problems.

leejor said:
Where are the incoming settings? PSTN to 3CX call..

Still in the progress of updating my post :D as I just tested this at home. I should be setting it up in the office for live usuage and that I will need to enter the settings for line to 3cx. As of now, I am just using the PSTN services and no SIP.

Anyway, here is the outbound rules

DIs5Z.jpg

Sorry, should have been a bit more clear. Where in the Obi110, do you put the equivalent of Dial Plan 8: (S0<:100xx>) to pass a PSTN ringing call onto 3CX?

On a separate note...I wonder if the Obi110 is able to handle the # and * characters sent, in a dialstring, from 3CX. I know that the 3102 can't.

setting the dialplans

Still in progress.....

The dialplans are actually also in the SetupWizard page (see step 6 above) but can be finetune by going down to the Voice Services SP1 and Sp2 pages.. See the image below for the ITSP and phone digitmaps

I will update the next few posts when I bring the Obi110 to office
. My first glance at the Obi110 dialplan is similar to linksys SPA3102 because basically the ObiHai engineers are ex-Linksys ?

RXEpd.jpg

By the way, I have went through the forum rules and still unsure, is there a file size limitations to the images posted to the forum? I would rather use bigger and clearly images so the guide is easier for other users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.