• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Fanvil phones & Voice VLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUSALDADASHOV

Gold Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
Dec 30, 2021
Messages
68
Reaction score
15
Just wondering if you guys have the same issue. Please share your experience if possible

I used to install many phones like Yealink, GrandStream, Snom, Avaya, Fanvil and etc...
But only with a Fanvil phones I have difficulty to config voice vlan. Fanvill phones won't take right VLAN even if switch side configurred correctly
I even did test: I have two types of phones (Yealink & SNOM) and I used those phones instead of Fanvil, and vuala, Snom and Yealink gets VoiceVlan IP address, BUT Fanvill not

Below Command I always use for cisco switches

Code:
conf t
lldp run
interface range gigabitEthernet 1/0/1-48
sh
no cdp enable
switchport voice vlan 19
auto qos voip trust
spanning-tree portfast
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 17
no sh

To force Fanvill phone to obtain IP from voice VLAN I usually use option “Configure your VLAN settings below for WAN/PC port VLAN ID” under Advanced at IP Phone tab. Almost all PBXs has this kind of option. For example on FreePBX you can find it at Endpoing Manager Tab > VLAN Sub tab

What do you think I’m missing?
 
I'm not quite sure of the switch configuration you're using but I've come across a similar issue with older managed switches and new Yealink phones. There are two things that you need to remember:
  1. VoIP phones are quite dumb (mostly), and
  2. Managed switches aren't much better.
For simplicity of configuration you should set the untagged VLAN on the phone's switch port to the VoIP VLAN and the tagged VLAN to the VLAN used for the PC port.

You should then configure the phone in 3CX and set the VLAN Provisioning under Phone Provisioning (it's at the bottom of the page). You can set the VLAN for the phone there (You need to set the PC VLAN there) if you want but I don't guarantee that it will work.

If you just want the switch to figure out that it has a VoIP phone connected to a particular port and assign the correct VLAN then the switch needs to know the MAC address range(s) that apply to any VoIP phones that you plan to connect. I had an old HP Aruba switch that supported specifying a VoIP phone VLAN but it didn't know the MAC address range of the new Yealink phones we were using. Fortunately the switch allowed me to add the new MAC range but not all switches will have this capability.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kroose
Fanvil phones (might be true only for some models) do not like "switchport voice vlan XXX" command until they fully load config from working 3cx.
They will receive IP address and look completely fine, but will not contact RPS server if voice vlan is set on the switch.
Learned in very painful way! Also, you might want to set LLDP to "Enable" on the "Phone Provisioning" tab in the user configuration.
Try to provision a phone in a regular access port and then switch to the port with "voice vlan" config
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,959
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us