Holding a video conference
On this topic
3CX allows you to organize video conference calls or webinars right from the 3CX web client using WebRTC technology. This means your participants don’t have to download and install any additional software or plugins.
- Some video conferencing features require the 3CX Click to Call Chrome or Firefox extension. Install it from here for Google Chrome and here for Firefox.
- To join a web meeting from your smartphone you need to download the 3CX WebMeeting app from the iOS App Store or from the Android Play Store.
To change the WebMeeting function settings, click on the “Settings” icon on the right sidebar. The “Settings” panel enables you to control “Multimedia” options including:
- Audio input source - microphone device
- Audio output device, i.e. speakers
- Audio quality - select depending on the Internet connection’s available bandwidth
- Auto Gain Control - increases or decreases your mic’s input and output automatically
- Echo cancellation - removes echo caused by the mic’s picking up the speakers output
- Noise suppression - filters out very specific noises like keyboard typing
- Video input source - webcam or camera device
- Video quality - select depending on the Internet connection’s available bandwidth
- Device test - click on the “Start” button to do a device test
On the panel’s left side, you can click on:
- “Statistics” - technical info, statistics and graphs for troubleshooting connectivity issues
- “Info” for more info on the current meeting and software version
Creating a video conference
- Click on the “WebMeeting” function in the 3CX Web Client.
- Click on the “Invite People” button on the left. Add their Name and Email address in the Participants list and then click “OK” to invite.
- If this is the first time you are using the 3CX video conferencing feature, you need to allow the use of the camera and microphone to enable video and sound.
You can record your video conference / webinar by pressing the “Start Recording” button on the WebMeeting toolbar.
Select the recording format from the available presets and click on “Start” to begin recording. The Record button turns red when recording.
When the participants exit the meeting, the organizer receives an e-mail report with the download link to the recorded MPEG4 video. Recordings are available for 7 days, after which are automatically deleted.
This feature is extremely helpful when conducting a product presentation or collaborating with colleagues. You can share your whole screen, including IM and email notifications, or a single window or application which only shows the shared window’s contents.
To share your screen press the “Screen Sharing” button to select from the available screens or application windows you can share. While screen sharing the message below appears at the bottom of your desktop:
To stop screen sharing, click on the “Stop Sharing” button on the message above.
The Remote Control feature is an excellent way to provide exceptional customer service and solve problems quickly and efficiently. To take advantage of this feature the “3CX Remote Control Client” must be installed on the computer to be controlled.
If the Remote Control Client is not installed, the above message appear on your screen. Download the client from the link provided.
Install the client and click on the “Request Remote Control” button.
Note: If the 3CX Click to Call extension is not installed, a notification message prompts you to install it. After you install the extension, a notification asks whether to open or not the 3CX Remote Control Client. Select the option “Remember my choice” and press “Open”.
- Once a participant clicks on the “Request Remote Control” feature the meeting organizer will see the above prompt appear on their screen. Click the “Yes” button to offer assistance.
- Only meeting organizers can receive remote control requests. If there are no meeting organizers, the “Request Remote Control” button will not be available
- The requesting participant then has to choose the screen or application to he wants to grant remote control to the organizer.
- To end the Remote Control session, click on the “Stop Sharing” button at the bottom of the screen.
During a meeting, notes, reports and presentations are often required. Being able to share those documents on the spot is essential for the meeting to go smoothly. With 3CX WebMeeting you can share PDFs with just a few clicks. You can upload these in your “Repository” during the meeting or before.
To share a PDF document:
- While in meeting, click the “Share PDF” button.
- The “Shared Documents Repository” window opens to “Upload”, “Preview” and “Share” PDF documents.
- All uploaded documents are saved automatically in the “Shared Documents Repository”.
- Double clicking a document or clicking on “Share” displays the document on all of the participants’ screens. Using the Sharing Toolbox above displayed at the bottom of the screen, participants can interact with the document using the Cursor, Marker, Eraser and Text tools.
- To stop sharing the document, press the “Stop Sharing” button at the right end of the toolbox.
The Whiteboard feature is the ideal tool for brainstorming sessions, business presentations or online classrooms. To use the Whiteboard:
- While in meeting, click the “Whiteboard” button.
- Choose a “Blank” or “Dotted Grid” template to use.
- When sharing a whiteboard, meeting participants can make use of the Sharing Toolbar’s available tools.
- To stop sharing the document press the “Stop Sharing” button.
You can take quick screenshots via the “Snapshot” button on the lower left of each participant’s video frame. Screenshots taken using this feature are saved directly on your computer.
Add more participants to an ongoing conference
You can invite participants from within your browser by:
- Clicking on the “Add Participant” icon on the top toolbar.
- A new window appears where you can add participants by providing their Name and Email Click on the “Add” button to add each participant. Once all participants have been added to the list, click on the “OK” button. An email will be automatically sent to all participants with the link to the web meeting.
Additionally, you can click on the “Copy Meeting Link” icon to automatically copy the meeting URL to the clipboard. You can then send the link to other participants.
Note: Participants entering an ongoing conference are not be able to see previous comments.