• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

GXW4248 gateways, unable to downgrade firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_VIQ

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
Messages
19
Reaction score
3
I received some pretty new GXW4248 gateways and was lucky to do so given stock is low. They were so new they shipped with 1.0.23.2 firmware which according to GS is beta.

Surprise surprise I am having issues with them keeping a registration (they just stop sending/renewing registrations either randomly or via network blip) and need to get to a firmware which I know works.

The problem is I cannot. TFTP it doesnt want to even start a download. I see the TFTP read request, but because the firmware is newer it doesnt actually download it. I used a client to issue a manual GET and that succeeds.

Set it to HTTPS using a remote 3cx server (after uploading firmware and testing the link successfully) and still no luck.

Following all GS documentation to update the units fails which I think is due to the fact that its checking for newer, not older firmware but I cant find any documentation on how to force an older firmware.

Uploading firmware using the upload feature on the unit uploads, says file successfully uploaded, but no option to apply it. I have a suspicion "Firmware Key" has something to do with it.

Currently waiting for GS to activate my account so I can get a ticket directly but I dont have much faith of that approach yielding any results.
 
Hi!

Although it would be probably better to ask Grandstream about this, I had a look at the release note of their firmware on the GS official website. Could this be what is happening?
1645534457163.png


Would also explain your "luck" in getting the device fast (different hardware).
 
Hi!

Although it would be probably better to ask Grandstream about this, I had a look at the release note of their firmware on the GS official website. Could this be what is happening?
View attachment 28108


Would also explain your "luck" in getting the device fast (different hardware).
Oh boy. Yes probably as I just checked mine are GXW4248 V1.6A. I didnt think to check release notes for newer products, the older products didnt have this but I guess I missed the fact that my hardware revision didnt exist at the time of publication for the release notes I was reading.

My distributor when I was asking about industry stock was something along the lines of "We have plenty of 4216s and can get good pricing as supply is good and they come in by sea, I cant move on the 4248s because those came in by air." so I bet these units were pretty fresh.

I am STILL waiting on grandstream to activate my account but it hasnt been enough time to exceed the window they gave to review my info and create the account. Another few days and I should have an account with them.

Edit: my other site has V1.1A hardware running 1.0.21.1
 
  • Like
Reactions: NickD_3CX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,965
Members
165,170
Latest member
SupportRock