Migrating multi-tenant from AWS to 3CX hosting

robsonh

Bronze Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
May 12, 2025
Messages
34
Reaction score
18
I'm considering migrating my 3CX v20 multi-tenant instance from AWS to 3CX hosting and just wanted to check whether there's anything I should be aware of here. Is my understanding of the process correct:
  • My SIP Trunk provider is on the supported list and is registration based
  • I'll first take a backup
  • I'm already using a .3cx.uk domain
  • Select to re-install the instance and choose Hosted by 3CX
Do I need to do anything with the old instance (other than power it off)? Will my tenants experience any downtime?
 
  • Like
Reactions: ElenaF_3CX
that should still be as "simple" as backup restore. with all the trunks being registration based they'll re-link as soon as the new system powers up vs having to re-assign IP routes on the carrier side.

i'd backup, power off old, restore to new and verify the phones pick up the new system IP change after a few minutes and you're good to go. down time would be minimal as DNS updates. do it after hours and you'll be good to go!
 
Well I was going to say the TTL for a Pro license FQDN is 6 hours, but apparently they are 10 minutes now?

3CX has a doc for this: https://www.3cx.com/docs/switch-hosted-pbx/
TTL only applies during normal operations.

When doing a new install or restore, I noticed it does update faster, probably forced by the setup wizard to refresh the DNS to make sure Let's Encrypt works during setup.
 
The doc says 10 minutes and I checked a few existing clients yesterday, all 10 minutes.
 
For 3CX FQDNs, its not even 10 minutes, its 5.
This can be clearly seen and validated with Google DNS.
For custom ones, its another story :)

https://dns.google/


1773408384424.png
 
Hi Nikos, our Enterprise FQDNs are 5m but Pros are 10m, querying ns-cloud-b1.googledomains.com directly.

Pro used to be 6 hours...not sure when that changed but 10 minutes is quite an improvement, so thanks!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
112,134
Messages
590,911
Members
165,144
Latest member
trinadmin