- Joined
- Jan 18, 2011
- Messages
- 166
- Reaction score
- 47
Hi,
I just wanted to put some info here in forum so I can find it in future if I need it / or if it will help anyone else in similar situation maybe.
Context. I've got a client with latest 3cx (16.0.8.9 running on stock linux 'express install cloud hosted with OVH public cloud')
They moved to a new office last week, and the AV subcontractor doing polycom gear in the board room and meeting room really (!) insisted on using poly gear for the AV Camera and also the speaker phone. So I was stuck getting an 'unsupported with 3cx' voip speakerphone working with their 3cx system.
Note: The 8300 trio is unsupported on 3cx, so this is 'best effort / FYI / your miles may vary / this may blow up and cause you pain. Or not.'
Short version. It basically works, and is not too hard.
Long Version.
- I setup a 3cx SBC in the client site specifically to support these 2 x voip speakerphones. Clients on the team use softphone app on smartphones otherwise (only)
( I think you could get the poly sip client phones to work without a SBC inside the client office, but I think it is a lot more drama in terms of firewall rules, tweaking setting in 3cx to 'allow external connect'/ opens up a can of worms of security that we don't really want / etc. SBC is stupid easy to install-deploy / especially if you have a VM platform box inside client site, or barring that an "Lenovo Tiny / Intel Compact mini-PC" dedicated box running the SBC role - really an inexpensive component given the added simplicity you get with this config. Anyhow.. I digress.)
- setup the poly trio 8300 with POE <> LAN connection <> DHCP assigned IP <> get IP of phone. Login to phone on my laptop via WebUI admin on the polycom phone.
- confirm I have access, it is alive and works as expected.
- in my 3cx, I drill into the desired EXT to link to this phone. Go to phone provision tab, tell it to add a new phone. From the drop-list pick an UNSUPPORTED POLYCOM. I chose Polycom VVX300 but I am guessing it does not really matter. It is just a place holder. In the provision config tell 3cx you expect connectivity via SBC. Take note of your EXT and also the "Auth ID and Pass" in the 3cx phone provision tab. These ID/pass are random generated by 3cx and are non-trivial random strings. Just leave them as-is but take note of what they are.
- on your poly phone web admin. Drill into the 'quick setup' wizzard tab.
- for line identification config, specify your EXT# / and then give auth ID and Pass as per the auto-generated strings from 3cx. This allows the polycom to show the "EXT ###" on the LCD resting state (correctly, hints to users the phone extension #) but also lets it work for proper auth with 3cx.
- configure your SIP server and Proxy, to be the same, LAN IP of the 3cx SBC host inside LAN where the phones are being deployed. Designate 5060 SIP port. Tell it UDP Connectivity only. small drop down box to change this setting re: UDP.
- drill into timezone settings, enable the polycom to use a sane time source, and set your TZ properly. So the phone LCD shows proper time
- SIP settings tweak might require you go into the settings>SIP area, not the 'easy setup wizard'. Also set a suitable timeout (300 not 3600 default is recommended I believe)
- finally change the admin pass on the polycom to be NOT default, otherwise you have a (!) warning on the LCD of the device which might bother end-users. Be sure to write down what you set this password to.
After this is done. LCD on phone will show registered state / EXT## in top left and top right corner. Clock should be correct, no (!) warn in top-right. And you can place outbound calls or accept inbound calls with no drama. The registration of the SIP client happens ~almost immediately after you have got the (SIP server, port, client ID-pass) info designated. I am not 100% sure if UDP-only is absolutely required config but it seemed to make sense so that is what I did / and it seems to work fine.
The first time I set it up I had the wrong ID for AUTH in the phone (ie, I was trying to use EXT### not the "auth string from 3cx" and in this case I could clearly see logged immediately on the 3cx server, the POLY client device auth fails were being logged / were visible as auth fails. So it was not hard to spot the config problem.)
There was no significant drama with this setup. Clearly it is not an officially supported device, may lack advanced integration features, etc, but if all you want is a sip phone to accept inbound or make outbound calls, this probably will do the trick.
note in my experience with ~3 different polycom devices so far - they all appear to have pretty similar web-admin-UI so I am guessing this basic setup process would be more-or-less suitable regardless of what polycom device you are working with.
hope this info is of slight help to someone.
Tim
I just wanted to put some info here in forum so I can find it in future if I need it / or if it will help anyone else in similar situation maybe.
Context. I've got a client with latest 3cx (16.0.8.9 running on stock linux 'express install cloud hosted with OVH public cloud')
They moved to a new office last week, and the AV subcontractor doing polycom gear in the board room and meeting room really (!) insisted on using poly gear for the AV Camera and also the speaker phone. So I was stuck getting an 'unsupported with 3cx' voip speakerphone working with their 3cx system.
Note: The 8300 trio is unsupported on 3cx, so this is 'best effort / FYI / your miles may vary / this may blow up and cause you pain. Or not.'
Short version. It basically works, and is not too hard.
Long Version.
- I setup a 3cx SBC in the client site specifically to support these 2 x voip speakerphones. Clients on the team use softphone app on smartphones otherwise (only)
( I think you could get the poly sip client phones to work without a SBC inside the client office, but I think it is a lot more drama in terms of firewall rules, tweaking setting in 3cx to 'allow external connect'/ opens up a can of worms of security that we don't really want / etc. SBC is stupid easy to install-deploy / especially if you have a VM platform box inside client site, or barring that an "Lenovo Tiny / Intel Compact mini-PC" dedicated box running the SBC role - really an inexpensive component given the added simplicity you get with this config. Anyhow.. I digress.)
- setup the poly trio 8300 with POE <> LAN connection <> DHCP assigned IP <> get IP of phone. Login to phone on my laptop via WebUI admin on the polycom phone.
- confirm I have access, it is alive and works as expected.
- in my 3cx, I drill into the desired EXT to link to this phone. Go to phone provision tab, tell it to add a new phone. From the drop-list pick an UNSUPPORTED POLYCOM. I chose Polycom VVX300 but I am guessing it does not really matter. It is just a place holder. In the provision config tell 3cx you expect connectivity via SBC. Take note of your EXT and also the "Auth ID and Pass" in the 3cx phone provision tab. These ID/pass are random generated by 3cx and are non-trivial random strings. Just leave them as-is but take note of what they are.
- on your poly phone web admin. Drill into the 'quick setup' wizzard tab.
- for line identification config, specify your EXT# / and then give auth ID and Pass as per the auto-generated strings from 3cx. This allows the polycom to show the "EXT ###" on the LCD resting state (correctly, hints to users the phone extension #) but also lets it work for proper auth with 3cx.
- configure your SIP server and Proxy, to be the same, LAN IP of the 3cx SBC host inside LAN where the phones are being deployed. Designate 5060 SIP port. Tell it UDP Connectivity only. small drop down box to change this setting re: UDP.
- drill into timezone settings, enable the polycom to use a sane time source, and set your TZ properly. So the phone LCD shows proper time
- SIP settings tweak might require you go into the settings>SIP area, not the 'easy setup wizard'. Also set a suitable timeout (300 not 3600 default is recommended I believe)
- finally change the admin pass on the polycom to be NOT default, otherwise you have a (!) warning on the LCD of the device which might bother end-users. Be sure to write down what you set this password to.
After this is done. LCD on phone will show registered state / EXT## in top left and top right corner. Clock should be correct, no (!) warn in top-right. And you can place outbound calls or accept inbound calls with no drama. The registration of the SIP client happens ~almost immediately after you have got the (SIP server, port, client ID-pass) info designated. I am not 100% sure if UDP-only is absolutely required config but it seemed to make sense so that is what I did / and it seems to work fine.
The first time I set it up I had the wrong ID for AUTH in the phone (ie, I was trying to use EXT### not the "auth string from 3cx" and in this case I could clearly see logged immediately on the 3cx server, the POLY client device auth fails were being logged / were visible as auth fails. So it was not hard to spot the config problem.)
There was no significant drama with this setup. Clearly it is not an officially supported device, may lack advanced integration features, etc, but if all you want is a sip phone to accept inbound or make outbound calls, this probably will do the trick.
note in my experience with ~3 different polycom devices so far - they all appear to have pretty similar web-admin-UI so I am guessing this basic setup process would be more-or-less suitable regardless of what polycom device you are working with.
hope this info is of slight help to someone.
Tim