"Send fax via email" feature not available for any US providers - V20 Update 4 Build 487

voyant

Silver Partner
Joined
Jan 6, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
I have been trying to get in bound faxes to work, but calls keep getting directed to voicemail. Sip trunks require a default route and the fax server or service is not avaialble.
I have tried all of the US providers...
 
I have been trying to get in bound faxes to work, but calls keep getting directed to voicemail. Sip trunks require a default route and the fax server or service is not avaialble.
I have tried all of the US providers...
You need to route the DID to the fax server. 3CX doesn't do fax detection, it has to be specific DIDs. Also, if even that doesn't work, make sure your DIDs are entered in the correct format required by your provider.
 
Sending a fax from email is not something you will find from 3cx, however I a working on a system that will do that very thing using Telnyx API, DM me if interested
 
Sending a fax from email is not something you will find from 3cx, however I a working on a system that will do that very thing using Telnyx API, DM me if interested
Documo... why reinvent the wheel
 
why reinvent the wheel? To manage from our booking system, as a manager of a RV Resort we have to sometimes send faxs from our system, as for receiving the fax 3cx handles that for us
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
why reinvent the wheel? To manage from our booking system, as a manager of a RV Resort we have to sometimes send faxs from our system, as for receiving the fax 3cx handles that for us
Take a look at Documo. It has an API, uses Telnyx in the backend, and is very cheap & modern. Instead of doing everything on your own.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GregG_3CX
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
@SnakeRiverWebDevelopment we have successfully used this with 3CX for years (though not supported by 3CX) and it can be deployed on the customer prem and can also use carriers directly like Callcentric:
https://www.t38faxvoip.com/fsp/

And for those that think faxing is dead they must have not met the government, courts, insurance companies, and financial institutions all are indices that still require faxes for certain transactions. :(

There are other similar solutions out there but hope this gives you some options!
 
Thanks guys but none or your comments have helped me. I have configured everything correctly and calls still go to voicemail of the extension identified in the faxserver. When setting up the trunk, there is no option to direct the call to the fax server.
Systems that had this in place in v18 and upgraded to 20 are working fine and the send faxt to email optioin appears in the sip trunk, but adding a new trunk does not have the send to fax option...
 
This is how it is setup, however nothing to do with Send fax via email, but it will receive a fax and send to email

Screenshot 2024-12-26 101604.png

Screenshot 2024-12-26 101412.png
 
please note that the default route for your sip trunk is "send fax via email"
This option is not availble using any of the sip trunk providers in my system.
Can you create a new trunk and still get that option?
Telnyx is no longer on the list of providers I have used them for years without any issues.
 
My trunk was setup 2 years ago, but you can route any provider the same way as I did. If your provider is not supported, you can use the Generic template.
 
Sorry, that doesn't work anymore.
My trunks from two years ago are fine as well.
Unfortunately, I need a new one and I can't get it to work...
 
And your fax DID is assigned to the Fax Server? The default route on the trunk should not be necessary.
 
The way we do it is setup a fax extension and let the software posted above do the fax routing or setup a fax forwards under fax extension booth work well.

1735249262443.png

1735249292070.png
 
Again, this doesn't work with the latest version of V20. The fax forward extension answers and plays the voicemail message associated with the extension that has that email address.
 
Somehow I think you are not setting it up properly, create your fax server extension first, assign a DID from the dropdown and add the default email address, be sure the DID is not routed to any other endpoint.

Screenshot 2024-12-27 070509.png
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
I appreciate your response, but have you tried this in the current system? With a new fax number and extension?

It doesn't work...
 
I just tested and can confirm it is working in v20?

Do the SIP provider support faxing currently only 6 support faxing?
https://www.3cx.com/partners/sip-trunks/usa/

If you're using one of the supported providers, then the fax forward extension should look like this, my understanding is once set in fax forward extension the call tree intercepts the call to specified DID and offers to the fax server so I am not certain how it would be routed to a voicemail unless sip trunk is not compatible:

1735307538336.jpeg


The extension looks like this as you can see the second assigned number is the fax, we have made no changed to call forwarding, so they are set to default:

1735307551267.jpeg
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
What does your sip trunk look like? I have this configuration and it doesn't work.
Are you using a pre V20 sip trunk or a new sip trunk?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
112,141
Messages
590,933
Members
165,157
Latest member
distrimed