Very difficult to "divert to voicemail" on Android if using Android 10 style navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Free User
Joined
Jul 7, 2016
Messages
25
Reaction score
7
I've been playing around with the new back/home/recent functions for Android instead of the on-screen buttons and it's almost impossible to use the "divert to voicemail" feature in the Beta app without accidentally sending the "home" command to the phone. Not really a 3CX bug, but something to be thinking about as the new Android 10 UI becomes more common.
 
We will check this.
Android 10 we will leave for later because it is changing. The beta worked one way, and the release suddenly started doing things completely different.
Im not sure they decided on the answering mechanism.
I think divert to voicemail is clear. Maybe we can increase the touch area or move the line a bit higher.. i get your point. Lets wait a bit.. Important are the answer and decline. You can quickly change the decline to send to vm. (I think its the default) so if you wanna send to vm you can also decline.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Thanks, a while ago hitting "decline" was simply dropping the incoming call. On my phone (back on the production version of the app) it appears to just take the smartphone app out of the call (not saying that very well, hitting decline stops my smartphone app from ringing, but my desk phone continues to ring the full time before sending the call to voicemail). That's a much better response for hitting decline, thanks!
 
Yes because decline is rough.. I suggest you change it. The default setting we ship follows a gentler voicemail etiquette.

The part where it rings for a while in your office, that might be 2 things.. Either the push to tell the server that you actioned the call, comes in late.. So do not expect it to stop ringing instantly. if you declined from smartphone, chances are you might not be at your desk. Thats why the delay is technically and morally accepted. BUT you can be there true. And it might remain ringing either till a timeout or forever..

If it remains ringing (say more than 3-5 seconds) check the timeout. If it obeys the timeout, then there is a parameter that is doing this. I will need to check on this. If it does not respect the timer, then this is caused by an issue in the beta android client. The next update of the client and server update 3 will fix it.
Thanks for reporting.
 
Do you have any links on changing the decline settings? I haven't been able to find anything. Are you just talking about the smartphone functionality or can you decline a call from a deskphone to send to voicemail? (our old Cisco CallManager had an iDivert softkey that would send an incoming call directly to voicemail and this was one of the only features that we missed from the horror that is CCM... Would love to be able to bring that back for our users without them needing to use the webclient). Thanks in advance, obviously not a rush.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
I understand - We need to do something about it. What phone is this?
We will increase the text area so you can start swiping 1 cm ABOVE the line.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
OnePlus 7 running 9.x, but my understanding is that Android 10 has a similar gesture navigation system.
 
OnePlus 7 running 9.x, but my understanding is that Android 10 has a similar gesture navigation system.
Will be done in the next update. We will increase the swipe area. So you can start swiping well around the line.
 
I have a Samsung S9+ and i removed the bottom NAV bar for gesture (as it's allowed in OneUI) and im experiencing the same issue with divert to voicemail
 
I have a Samsung S9+ and i removed the bottom NAV bar for gesture (as it's allowed in OneUI) and im experiencing the same issue with divert to voicemail
Yes but we cannot make an app that is customized for all changes that one can make. So you need to use decline call and set your rules to go to voicemail when you reject the call. So you do not need the slider to transfer to voicemail. Custom changes you can make to your phone, but then work around them.

I did't even know you can remove the gesture bar..
 
Yes but we cannot make an app that is customized for all changes that one can make. So you need to use decline call and set your rules to go to voicemail when you reject the call. So you do not need the slider to transfer to voicemail. Custom changes you can make to your phone, but then work around them.

I did't even know you can remove the gesture bar..

That's not what i'm saying though, just meant to say, Samsung users can configure their (newer) phones like a OnePlus device and not have a nav bar. So whatever change you will do for OnePlus will benefit Samsung users configured this way as well.
 
That's not what i'm saying though, just meant to say, Samsung users can configure their (newer) phones like a OnePlus device and not have a nav bar. So whatever change you will do for OnePlus will benefit Samsung users configured this way as well.

I understand what you say - But we do not make an app, because one manufacturer allows gestures to be removed and a user (from the millions they have) decided to remove it. (I hope you get my point - not being sarcastic but being realistic from a dev point of view)
We work with the defaults.
Android development is already a horrible playground where the players (manufacturers) are barbarians and their documentation is heinous with all manufacturers doing and stating whatever they want, when they want, or nothing at all. You just cannot keep up.

So if you want to divert to voicemail, then set the forwarding rules to reject and divert to voicemail. It is also a neater and more polite way to cancel a call.
 
Not to be rude, but what we're both talking about is what will be the DEFAULT Android 10 interface with no navigation bar at the bottom. OnePlus and Samsung (and Motorola) are allowing some Android 9 devices access to this navigation already.

I have found that you can touch the screen well above the "divert to voicemail" indicator line and it works, visually however it encourages you to touch near where the home gesture happens.
 
Would you mind going into where I can "set the forwarding rules to reject and divert to voicemail."? I don't know where to do this, is it on the phone itself or is this something done at the extension level on the PBX? Thanks in advance.
 
Yes lets wait for android 10 to be a couple of months old because as I said before, android changes every day.
To backup my argument, for example, The android 10 in Release preview was different than the android 10 that was released (so in 2 weeks until it was preview to release, Do you believe that they changed the internals? Madness... Right now, we will deal on all issues we find on Android 10 + Pixel phone. That is the safest bet we have at the moment. Once we get the pixel stable (believe it or not, we are not there yet) then we will move on the other devices.

For example, better you dig in the audio issues that you WILL experience with absolute certainty .. on any phone + Android 10. The gestures should be the lest of your worries right now.

Android 10 is very new. And it will change many times.

YEs we increassed the swipe area because on some phones the swipe area was very thin and the home button was being pressed instead.

Can you post a screenshot of your phone let me see.. or make a video just to make sure I understand you 100%
 
Would you mind going into where I can "set the forwarding rules to reject and divert to voicemail."? I don't know where to do this, is it on the phone itself or is this something done at the extension level on the PBX? Thanks in advance.


Hi you can do this from Webclient, or from admin console and even from the android client.
if you touched nothing, it is set to go to voicemail.

On the android / ios client click the status, and click the edit button on the status you want to modify. Cnfirm that when busy, calls go to voicemail. THis settings works both when you are busy and also when you reject a call (when we reject from app, server says 486 which is "BUSY here code" and the clal will go to voicemail.

From webclient it is straightforward.. MC edit extension, forwarding rules tab and follow the ui,
 
Hmm, thanks for the clarification. This doesn't really do the same thing though as many of our users need the ability to answer a second call. If I understand this correctly, any call that came in when a user was on another call (or slid up the reject) would go straight to voicemail. Appreciate the clarification, but it probably won't work for us.
 
Hmm, thanks for the clarification. This doesn't really do the same thing though as many of our users need the ability to answer a second call. If I understand this correctly, any call that came in when a user was on another call (or slid up the reject) would go straight to voicemail. Appreciate the clarification, but it probably won't work for us.

You have the same problem with the slider? Can I see an image or a video of your screen?
 
I posted the first video. I can use the divert to voicemail slider now if I touch just over the line on the screen (just above the text). I've mostly been just rejecting the call now that it continues ringing to the caller and eventually goes to voicemail. They're all just unsolicited vendors these days anyway... :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,969
Members
165,171
Latest member
Mahlon