• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3cx not showing latest updates on raspberry pi

rtsindy

Free User
Basic Certified
Reaction score
I am running 3cx version 18 update 2 on a raspberry pi. When I go to check for updates, it shows the system is up to date, even though I know 3cx is up to update 5 now. How do I fix this?

Reactions: Ifrix Solutions
I am seeing the same issue and it seems to be limited to the Raspberry Pi 3cx server installations only.

Reactions: Banana Jack
Reactions: Banana Jack
So given that upgrading to v18 update 5 is a requirement by the end of Oct, that means:
a) migrating my installation to the cloud and dealing with whatever issues I'm going to have trying to integrate my local devices at home or
b) migrating back to Asterisk and something like FreePBX for managing the configurations

Neither one of these is particularly appealing. I have VoIP hardware here, I don't particularly want to use my network bandwidth to talk to the cloud just to make phone calls. That was the appeal of 3CX in the first place, no cloud dependencies.

Reactions: tomhoodjr and JimB
You could still locally host by upgrading to a desktop system that meets the Debian/3CX requirements.
Do a backup of your existing raspberry pi install/config and setup a new instance on the new machine and import the backup.
You'll have to make sure the IP settings etc are all the same but it should allow you to move forward with minimal downtime.

So is the upgrade to update 5 essential? Will our installation stop working on 1st December? There must be hundreds of installations like ours on Raspberry Pi, so it's pretty breathtaking that we should get dumped out of the blue like that. No, I don't want to go hosted, not the startUP route, and we have a considerable investment in hardware. So now we need to buy a PC to run 3CX under Win10 (NB: current version is Windows 11, shame that's not supported..) or Debian. That's expense we hadn't planned on. Thanks, 3CX, very kind.

Reactions: tomhoodjr
So is the upgrade to update 5 essential? Will our installation stop working on 1st December? There must be hundreds of installations like ours on Raspberry Pi, so it's pretty breathtaking that we should get dumped out of the blue like that. No, I don't want to go hosted, not the startUP route, and we have a considerable investment in hardware. So now we need to buy a PC to run 3CX under Win10 (NB: current version is Windows 11, shame that's not supported..) or Debian. That's expense we hadn't planned on. Thanks, 3CX, very kind.
This information is nearly one year old. Enough time to upgrade. To host a 3cx locally nearly any tiny pc will do it, cost maybe 50$.

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
> This information is nearly one year old

How on earth do you work that out?

Doesn't answer my questions:

> So is the upgrade to update 5 essential? Will our installation stop working on 1st December?

And $50 for a USFF PC or a NUC, or similar? I don't think so!! I'll take ten if you can do them at that price. (I sell and support PCs for a living.)

How on earth do you work that out?
The information that Raspberry isnt supported anymore is on the website and you got it by email.
> So is the upgrade to update 5 essential? Will our installation stop working on 1st December?
Some things allready not working anymore for you (Iphone push etc...) You cant activate your installation or change any information regarding your license.
And $50 for a USFF PC or a NUC, or similar? I don't think so!! I'll take ten if you can do them at that price. (I sell and support PCs for a living.)
Any cheap (could be used) pc will do it. If you have any vm somewhere, you could put the 3cx there as well.

> The information that Raspberry isnt supported anymore is on the website

A year ago? I think not. As above in this thread, the website is still not saying,

> and you got it by email.

No, first I've had by email is the one yesterday saying update 5 is required. You are still not answering my questions either. They require simple yes or no answers, not fluff about what's already not working - we have NO interest in things like iPhone push. The system works perfectly for our purposes at this time.

> Any cheap (could be used) pc will do it. If you have any vm somewhere, you could put the 3cx there as well.

I'm well aware of that, but the whole idea was a fanless and silent ultra low power consumption device to host it. "Any cheap PC" does not fit that description, and having committed the funds to the required setup already, it's more than a little annoying that to continue, when everything currently works well, that we have to spend hundreds - not $50. And there must be many, many users in the same boat. It's not broken, so doesn't need fixed, and if this stops legacy installations from working - I have zero interest in new or different features - then shame on 3CX.

Have you tried to use command line to run updates? sudo apt-get update followed by sudo apt-get upgrade .
Not sure if it will update 3CX, but it is a free option to use. I use ESXi as well as Lightsail for my installs, seems to work fine for me.

Its official not supported anymore... https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/v18-update-3-final/

This Info is from march this year, also enough time to do your work. To answer your question, your 3cx will !!maybe!! work for a while. Any other answer is not possible. Have a look for any hardware that support a debian install, could be a tiny pc or any other hardware. Its on you to make it possible for your customers to have a secure uptodate 3cx, the last update is more than a year old and you are missing a lot of security fixes.

Thanks, yes, bitn2, I'd already started looking, but I remain annoyed - it's not broken, they don't need to fix it, AND as 3CX encouraged people to install on a Raspberry Pi, to suddenly drop support is shockingly poor practice. And yes:

> This Info is from march this year, also enough time to do your work

We had no email notification until the one yesterday, and why would I visit the website when everything was working well? No support yet for W11 which is now hardly a new OS, and most Windows PCs are now on that. I do recommend 3CX to our customers, and now I'm less than keen. What next, suddenly drop support for Windows? They need to realise that not all people want cloud hosted systems.

Reactions: tomhoodjr
You can still use 3cx debian and windows based locally. I would always use debian, on windows major updates is always a reinstall and not automatically. When you are the Partner for your customers you have to inform yourself about this stuff and do what you have to do. The email you got now is the last information to switch to a different platform. My oppinion to Raspberry is not to use it in an professionel enviroment, its a developer hardware. (sorry for my english, i am german)

Please don't apologise for your English, as it's 10000 times better than my German! I'm still very annoyed at 3CX for this, but I will go to either an Intel NUC on Debian, or perhaps a Lenovo Tiny PC on Windows. But either way is a considerable expense, when really it's unnecessary. If V18 Update 2 is working happily, there can be little work for 3CX in keeping it so. Many people will not use the additional stuff, and don't want it or need it. If it's not broken, they shouldn't be fixing it.

Please don't apologise for your English, as it's 10000 times better than my German! I'm still very annoyed at 3CX for this, but I will go to either an Intel NUC on Debian, or perhaps a Lenovo Tiny PC on Windows. But either way is a considerable expense, when really it's unnecessary. If V18 Update 2 is working happily, there can be little work for 3CX in keeping it so. Many people will not use the additional stuff, and don't want it or need it. If it's not broken, they shouldn't be fixing it.
I understand you, but its not only features. The main part is security updates. I am running most of our 3cx installs on VMware locally or Hetzner Cloud. Some of our customers and myself using a Lenovo tiny for this stuff. Please considure using debian and not windows, its so much easier to update and mantaine this installs and you didnt need any windows licence as well.

Reactions: JimB
Yes, that was my thinking too, Debian would be best. All 3CX need to do to allow the legacy installs of V18 update 2 to continue is to manage the security stuff though, and keep that up to date. If people want more features, then they can spend the money and upgrade - but for those who simply want to keep their silent, low power consumption phone system that works perfectly well, this sort of thing is neither necessary or good business practice.

Yes, that was my thinking too, Debian would be best. All 3CX need to do to allow the legacy installs of V18 update 2 to continue is to manage the security stuff though, and keep that up to date. If people want more features, then they can spend the money and upgrade - but for those who simply want to keep their silent, low power consumption phone system that works perfectly well, this sort of thing is neither necessary or good business practice.
The problem is its not possible to maintaine many different systems when its easy to have just 2 (Windows and Debian). For you its also easy to switch, just take a Backup from your 3cx, install a debian ISO on some new hardware and put your backup back. Be sure to use the same local ip and you wont have any problems.

Reactions: JimB

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.