• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Cisco 7941G

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmansru47

SOHO User
Joined
Jan 9, 2021
Messages
122
Reaction score
20
Does anyone have any good references for setting up the Cisco 7941G phones to the 3CX system?
 
I will try it.. Thanks!
 
These instructions are horrible. They are incorrect as well. The provisioning file generated from the initial provisioning from the phone in 3CX is a cnf.xml file not the cnf file as in the instructions... then it doesn't say how to update the firmware at all. I have the file in place I have pumkpin up with the settings, I have the phone provisioned in 3cx (I think) I did the work on the DHCP, I used the IP for the phjone as the string since the instructions does not indicate where that IP address came from. Then the instructions stop. HOW DO I TFTP THE FIRMWARE TO THE BLOODY PHONE!!!!!!!!!! How does this phone get provisioned??? Where is the rest of the instructions?????
 
Those instructions should be correct. I will note that the 7941G is considered legacy and meant to be used until you can replace with a newer phone. Cisco deemed it EOL in 2015 https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/obsolete/collaboration-endpoints/cisco-unified-ip-phone-7941g.html

So I can try to help what are the details of your 3CX install?
https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/information-to-provide-when-requesting-help.67558/

The firmware is automatically downloaded from the TFTP server the phone gets from DHCP on boot. The IP they show is the PBX/PumpKIN install for Windows machines.
 
Each file from the CISCO firmware I downloaded from your site fails - File not found (initial error is - filename of type 'octet' is requested from IP address). When you go to the URL provisioning URL it is an XML and not a downloadable file, and it is not clear at all as to the SIPDefault.cnf file? I am using Pumpkin from a windows 10 machine.
 
What firmware are the phones on currently? If it is below 8.3.3 you will have to upgrade to 8.5.2 before updating to 8.5.4s.

The windows 10 computer you installed pumpkin on, is that your 3CX server as well or another machine? pumpkin needs to be installed on the 3CX server.
 
it is another machine but I have the portal up there. I am not sure what the firmware was. I can check on one of the other phones... I bought these 2nd hand
 
My 3cx server is a raspberry pi4 Raspbian OS is there a punkin TFTP for Rasbpian?
 
The firmware is SCCP41.9-3-1SR1-1S*
 
http://www.pumpkin-tool.org/Download.html
You would have to install pumpkin on the raspberry pi and set the tftp file system root to the provisioning folder located at: /var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Http/Interface/provisioning/[ProvSupDir]

However, it appears the phone is running a newer firmware of 9.3.1 AND it is using SCCP (Skinny Client Control Protocol) which is the Cisco proprietary protocol that won't work with 3CX.

You may need to find the same firmware version for SIP to get the phones to work as if the hardware version is too new you can't downgrade the firmware: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/do...8_00_rn-9_3_1_sr1-7900-series_chapter_00.html
 
That was wrong pumpkin program. I would have to search for it.

It probably would be worth looking at other options for the phones though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JohnS_3CX
Which ones would you recommend?
 
How about the Fanvil 3XG model.. it is on the preferred list.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JohnS_3CX
  • Like
Reactions: JohnS_3CX
How about the Fanvil 3XG model.. it is on the preferred list.
That should be a great phone and Fanvil seems to push updates for fixes quickly.

Yealink makes good phones as well. We usually sell Snom so I've only worked with them recently. Used to use polycom for another non 3CX system but Fanvil, Yealink and Snom make great phones for less than Polycom that may not have the best support.
 
Yealink are pretty solid to begin with, even though updates take longer.

Fanvil may be more cost effective and will push updates faster than other supported manufacturers.

Whichever brand you choose though in the end, they will both be supported and will both be tested for compatibility against 3CX so it really comes down to what features/price is right for your case.

https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
 
  • Like
Reactions: jcostlow
I ordered the FANVIL ones... got them cheap. Now the cat i bought the Cisco 7941G from will not do an RMA... Guess EBAY here I come!
 
  • Like
Reactions: jcostlow
Glad to hear, it should make your life much easier without needing special methods of getting them to provision like the Cisco needed.

Take a look at our Fanvil guides here to familiarize yourself while your order is being delivered
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
 
I have the FANVIL X3G phones... I am provisioning one of them and I have a RED triangle on the extension and it states: "Minimum Requirements: 10 cars, 1 lowercase, 1 uppercase and 1 digit. Deskphone password."

The problem is I have changed all the passwords I can find and I still get this error. I cannot find any option for DESKPHONE PASSWORD. Anyone?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,959
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us