• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Delay in the talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
landfiets said:
there is no delay when calling the own Voicemail.

and please tell me where to change the jitter buffer.
I tried it in my SPA962, but there it didn't change a thing.

Maybe in the software itself it should be changed.

Thanks

Edwin

What is jitter buffer and why do you try to change it?
Which kind of problem did you meet?

How do you change Jitter buffer and where is it in 3cx?

Good morning,

Where do you find the "Jitter Buffer" setting in 3CX?

Thanks again :)

IT IS RUNNING PERFECTLY (FOR) NOW

Hi everyone.
Thank you very much for all your help.
The problems I had were due to malfunction of the motherboard and it was the problem of a too old computer with to much of problems.
After all I bought a very small and cheap new one and now it is running smoothly without delay.

Again Thank you and when you have such terrible delay in your phonecalls as I had, first look to your own hardware caus that was my problem.

greetings from a happy voiping Edwin Landman

Nevermind I found it :)

Please disregard my question re jitter buffer.

I found the setting on the phones :roll:

Take care

Same issue

I am having same issue. First time user with Aug 3 Free Edition build. In my case I am running in a Virtual Server 2005 r2 virtual image, running Windows Server 2003 R2 fully patched and updated.

I have tried both a softphone from a PC, as well as multiple Polycom IP 601 running latest bootrom and firmware.

Symptoms are identical: typically start call with little noticable delay, and as call progresses (after 1 min) delay gets as bad as 5 seconds.

Audio is fine -- just longs delays between transmittion and receipt on the other end.

Update

I have noticed that if I pull the media server out of the call (don't bind), the delays go away. However then I noticed that phone features (like Hold) do not recover properly using the IP601.

In that case, when I place the call on hold, the caller gets music until I go to pick up the call at which time the call is lost.

Re: Same issue

cmclendon said:
I am having same issue. First time user with Aug 3 Free Edition build. In my case I am running in a Virtual Server 2005 r2 virtual image, running Windows Server 2003 R2 fully patched and updated.

I have tried both a softphone from a PC, as well as multiple Polycom IP 601 running latest bootrom and firmware.

Symptoms are identical: typically start call with little noticable delay, and as call progresses (after 1 min) delay gets as bad as 5 seconds.

Audio is fine -- just longs delays between transmittion and receipt on the other end.

Could you please repeat your experiments with X-lite/eyeBeam phones? Do you have the same problems?

Update

I have tested with NCH Express Talk SIP softphone, with exactly the same results. This seems to be isolated to the media server since additional testing produces exactly the same results between two extensions on the same server.

In all cases, calls start out OK and after about 1-2 minutes have a predictable 5-6 second delay in audio transmission. If I deselect to use the PBX for audio the problem is completely resolved.

A bit of a headache, but I am going to try and load the server under the host OS (take it out of the virtual server) and see if this is not some kind of weird timing issue resulting from running inside a virtual machine. I'd much rather run inside the virtual machine.

Check your Jitter Buffer settings

You may want to check your Jitter Buffer settings on the phones.

My Polycom Soundpoint IP 501 phones had a default setting of: 40 - 160. I was having significant call delay problems.

I have moved them down to: 40 - 60 and my call delay has dropped to almost nothing. In fact I am considering reducing them to 30 - 50 right now.

With Jitter buffers it is possible to have to much of a good thing. The larger the buffer the smoother the sound but also the greater the delay.

Take care

Hi cmclendon,

In that case, when I place the call on hold, the caller gets music until I go to pick up the call at which time the call is lost.

Please try to temporary remove authentication which is leave password blank in both extension setting at PBX and phone.

In 3CX PBX, enable both support replaces and support re-invte. And also tick "Bind to Media server".

Let us know can fixed it or not.

Regards,
5Q

Re: Update

cmclendon said:
I have tested with NCH Express Talk SIP softphone, with exactly the same results. This seems to be isolated to the media server since additional testing produces exactly the same results between two extensions on the same server.

In all cases, calls start out OK and after about 1-2 minutes have a predictable 5-6 second delay in audio transmission. If I deselect to use the PBX for audio the problem is completely resolved.

A bit of a headache, but I am going to try and load the server under the host OS (take it out of the virtual server) and see if this is not some kind of weird timing issue resulting from running inside a virtual machine. I'd much rather run inside the virtual machine.

MediaServer work depends on timer quality, because of RTP... Please inform us about results of running PBX on non-virtual environment.

Thanks,
Stepan

Quick question re timer

Good morning Sy,

When you mention RTP work depends on timer quality, what timer are you referring to?

Thanks again

Re: Quick question re timer

Ralph said:
Good morning Sy,

When you mention RTP work depends on timer quality, what timer are you referring to?

Thanks again

A timer that counts a time. :)

Stepan

:lol:

So you aren't referring to a subroutine or service running on the 3CX server or at the provider?

Ralph said:
:lol:

So you aren't referring to a subroutine or service running on the 3CX server or at the provider?

No, I referring to articles (that can be found by google search keywords - "timer VMWare" for example) in content of problem with cumulative delay in case if RTP streams handled by MediaServer running on virtual machine.

(Probably I'm wrong but) All "timer" services and subroutines will have exact the same problem inside system running on virtual machine.

Anyway, thank you to force me to pay attention on this problem :)

Stepan

I'm working on some delay problems of my own...

http://www.3cx.com/forums/categories-1/3cx-phone-system-general-1/latency-expectations-through-3cx-server-2964/

What should we expect for the least possible time delay through the 3CX Media Server for the situation where two internal phones are talking to each other, and BOTH are bound to the media server? I'm getting 130 mS with the media server task at "normal" priority. I'm going to change to realtime tomorrow and see what happens.

thanks!
Joe

try this link and make a voip call simulation. you see if your connection is good for voip and also you can see yur jitter level.

http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/

Urbok,

Thanks for the tip...I'll check it out later today.

However, the best connection in the world will not reduce the 130 mS delay that the Media Server is introducing. Anybody know how to reduce the delay THROUGH the 3CX software?

thanks!
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mendy E
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.