LetsEncrypt Certificates automatic Update for selfhosted 3cx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Dragon

Customer
Joined
Aug 29, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

i am running a self hosted 3cx v20. Currently i copy the LE certs manually every 10 weeks, and want to automate this.

Does 3cx has already something onboard, which only needed to be configured ?
Or do i need to install certbot manually?

How have you solved this ?

Regards,

Jack
 
Do you use a 3CX FQDN? If so, you're wasting your time, it already handles that.

If custom FQDN, 3CX doesn't automate this. You gotta set it up yourself.
 
I have a self hosted instance, with my own domain, i.e. "3cx.mydomain.com".

Any advice how to automate certificate actualisation?

Is manual installing certbot on 3cx VM the way to go ?
 
Hi, for clarity, the simplest thing is to use an FQDN which is managed by 3cx, not a custom FQDN that you manage. So this might be "yourOrgName.3cx.ca" or "yourOrgName.3cx.OtherSuffixHere" (ie, 3cx have a variety of suffix / FQDN / depending on your region). This is just built-in to 3cx, there is no 'cost' for this DNS stuff.

Assuming you deploy your 3cx instance with the FQDN that 3cx have assigned / with your collaboration at setup
then the SSL cert renew is 100% automatic and built in under the hood
and
if you choose to not go that route, you are looking at unsupported config, I think, and need to either
manually update certs yourself
or
manually install certs yourself (ie, purchased non-free certs)
or
figure out your own way to make the update happen automatically. This might be a manual config of certbot and letsencrypt - stuff - maybe - depending on your comfort / familiarity with various solution/options.

for all the 3cx instances that I manage on behalf of my clients, I simply go with the default - pick the name - at install time - go with vanilla 3cx DNS - everything is automatic, zero effort, smooth operating. ie, I can recommend that method.

Tim
 
You did not mention whether you are running 3CX on Windows or Linux. For Linux I use Certbot. For Windows, I use a tool "Certify The Web". You can get the free version from our downloads page. Use the older version on our website because newer versions require payment.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
I am runnig a self hosted 3cx as linux VM on Proxmox with my own Company FQDN and do not want to use a 3cx domain. if i would buy a certificate, i still need to copy them, so not advatange over LetsEncrypt certs.

i think this is not a unusual setup and hoped, others already had tested solution for this. i will try certbort installation on 3cx or a seperate instance and copy them via cron script.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,961
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us