• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Linksys SPA-3102_unable to configure

Status
Not open for further replies.
CJay,

Been there. I guess I've tried dozens of disconnect tones I've found on the internet. From the official ones from Linksys to the one supplied by individual users. Problem still persists. :(

Who is your provider...the local phone company, or someone else? Many times "other" providers will sometimes use whatever they want and not necessarily stick to what has been traditionally used in a particular country, especially with something like a disconnect tone that isn't heard by everyone, as is dialtone or progress tones.

Have you tried calling them and asking to speak to someone "technical" about what tones they are using?

leejor,

I am using the regular national phone company. It should be as simple as that.

Calling them and asking to speak to someone more technical is just...well... impossible. You would have to pass a battlefield of call centers with predefined answers that lead nowhere. Trust me.

Given that it is the local phone company, any suggested tones for use in Portugal should work. Many times there is a delay, sometimes long, between the time the caller hangs up and when the tone is sent to you. have you confirmed that this is not excessive? Not that there is anything that you'd be able to do about it.

I have to assume that you've done some searches and come across things such as this...

http://www.freelycall.com/devices/sipura-spa-2100/spa-3102-disconnect-tone/

leejor,

I've been through dozens and dozens of sites like that. I've tried every single disconnect tone I've found from everywhere I could find.
I've downgraded the firmware of the spa3102 to all versions available.

Posts like these:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2028099
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2007053
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1398801
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=43&topicid=39694

leave me thinking that I am probably not alone.

I am moving to the next step: analyzing the disconnect tone.

After that...the next step is throwing the damn thing out the window!

Ok....

I've just recorded and analyzed the disconnect tone using Audacity.
Now I know my disconnect tone is 425@-10; 10(0.2/0.2/1)

I also know that the spa-3102 is not detecting it.

I am back to firmware juggling. :evil:

Before you chuck everything away could you post the PSTN Line config just in case.... (but I'm sure you've tried every permutation of parameters multiple times!)

Chris

MikeMelga said:
Now I know my disconnect tone is 425@-10; 10(0.2/0.2/1)

According to the reference manual (and this may have changed with a later firmware), the level setting is not used and should be set to -30. You may also wish to try changing the minimum duration time.

Recommended Portugal setting for Sipura/Linksys/Cisco = 425@-30,425@-30; 2(0.2/0.2/1+2)

If this isn't working, then there might be a problem with your specific 3102. As for changing firmware...unless you have come across an article that specifically mentions the problem that you are having being linked to a particular version, then I would not waste time loading different versions, you may introduce other issues. Disconnect tone has been feature from the beginning and probably not something that has been changed (much?) along the way. Most firmware updates will either fix a known issue, or add features, or improve functionality/options.

It is a shame that all PSTN providers, or rather, central office (Class 5) switch makers, do not provide CPC (momentary open on tip and ring) disconnect, it would make life a lot easier for us.

@leejor,

Thanks but still does not work :(

@CJay,

Here is a screenshot of some of the options of the PSTN line.
I've tried many combinations, especially of the disconnect tone and the port impedance.

Attachments

• pstn.JPG
    pstn.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 4,028
A couple setting that I question...

PSTN answer delay = 0 ...depending on how local CID works (or if you use CID), this may have to be increased. If CID works, then don't touch it.

FXO port Impedance = 600 ...this is the default, usually used in North America. In Europe there have been reports of echo if this is not changed to something more suitable. If it works for you, then leave it, but be aware.

Neither should affect the operation of disconnect tone.

Have you confirmed that CPC is not being supplied on your PSTN line? The easiest way (unless you have a Butt-in with polarity detection) is to wire two (red) LED's in parallel. but such that one is the opposite polarity to the other. Run one side of the phone line through this to a set. Place a call and have the other end hang up. Watch the LEDs, if they go out then back on, you have CPC. This a will also indicate if polarity reversal is use on your line equipment.

leejor,

leejor said:
FXO port Impedance = 600 ...this is the default, usually used in North America. In Europe there have been reports of echo if this is not changed to something more suitable. If it works for you, then leave it, but be aware.

It works ok. I've also tried other settings for the disconnect purpose only.

leejor said:
Have you confirmed that CPC is not being supplied on your PSTN line? The easiest way (unless you have a Butt-in with polarity detection) is to wire two (red) LED's in parallel. but such that one is the opposite polarity to the other. Run one side of the phone line through this to a set. Place a call and have the other end hang up. Watch the LEDs, if they go out then back on, you have CPC. This a will also indicate if polarity reversal is use on your line equipment.

I only did a plain cpc test: activated it with no result. :(

Next weekend I am going to perform a final firmware update and reset. After that if still does not work... I will consider a new gateway.

Any suggestions for a reliable, cheap 1-port gateway?

waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt

I've entered all the settings again and double checked each of them.

I've done additional testings and found out this:

1 - If I call the PSTN and hangup before going to the voice mail...the SPA-3102 does not detect the disconnect tone and the call goes all the way to the voice mail until timeout.

2 - If I call the PSTN answer it with 3CX softphone and then disconnect...the call gets immediately terminated like it should.

So...I guess now the problem is ONLY when the call is not answered. Could it be something else besides the disconnect tone?

MikeMelga said:
So...I guess now the problem is ONLY when the call is not answered. Could it be something else besides the disconnect tone?

The thing is...the call is being answered via 3CX when it goes to voicemail (or an extension), in the same manner as with the softphone test, or, at least it should be. You can check to see if the 3102 is seeing some difference, between the two calls by making use of the Syslog feature in the 3102. Then you see everything it sees. Compare the two logs.

MikeMelga said:
Any suggestions for a reliable, cheap 1-port gateway?

The 3102 (and a 3000) are the ones I've used extensively. I did try a Grandstream unit a few years ago but it eventually died on me. I find that the ATA portion on Grandstream lacks decent dialplan options (just my opinion). There may be a newer model out now but configuring it to work with 3CX may require some tweaking. I believe that Cisco has a new replacement for the 3102 but you may run into the same issue unless they have re-worked that bit. Obihai makes some units but if you find the 3102 a challenge, then you won't want to touch one of these. Getting it to work properly with 3CX takes some work.

I've activated the debug logs on the 3cx system, pstn line and line 1.
The output from both an answered by voicemail and unanswered by voicemail call was the same.

To my surprise...the $#&%$&%#&$#%&$#&%$%& thing seems to be working now!

This is going to my top 5 of strangest problem I've ever faced.

Bottom line: looks like it's solved. Will backup all this config to HOPEFULLY never touch it again!

leejor,

Thanks for all your patience and help. Nice to have someone like you helping the newbies.

MikeMelga,
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am having issues getting the Cisco 3102 working as an ATA device. I have the extension setup in 3CX and have entered all the settings on the Line 1 tab and it keeps failing to register. I have nothing in the logs in the 3CX server that I can see from the 3102. I am trying to get this setup as a remote extension and not a local one.

MikeMelga, can you share your configuration screenshot for the Line 1 tab on the 3102? Also any other information to get the 3102 to register with the PBX remotely.

Is the 3102 behind a router?

Is STUN enabled?

What server address are you using? Public IP, Domain name?

Are other , remote extensions currently working off the same 3CX server? If not, are you certain that you have all of the required ports forwarded at the 3CX end router?

Run the 3CX firewall checker if you are unsure.

Yes, the 3102 is behind a Cisco ASA 5505 router. STUN is disabled on the 3CX server as we are using port forwarding through the router. STUN is also disabled on the 3102. I have the 3102 setup in bridged mode and I am connected to the ethernet port.

The router that the 3CX server is behind is a dlink DIR 628. Here are the ports we have forwarded.
* SIP - 5060 TCP & UDP
* RTP - 9000-9199 UDP
* 3CX Phone Presence - 5000 and 5001 TCP
* SSL - 443 TCP
* 3CX Tunnel - 5090 TCP & UDP

We are using a public FQDN name to access the server. I can connect just fine from the 3CX softphone on a remote computer, just can't get the 3102 to register with that extension. Just ran the firewall checker and everything passed. Not sure where to begin troubleshooting from here. Maybe I should just used a Cisco SPA 112 device. Those seem to be easier to configure and usually work really well.

business44 said:
I have the 3102 setup in bridged mode and I am connected to the ethernet port.
[

I think that this may be your problem. You should be using the Internet port (blue). Bridge mode works just fine, if you want to plug a computer into the Ethernet port and use a single RJ45 coming from the wall. The 3102 will no longer function as a router, which, in most cases, is fine. However, the internet port should be facing your existing router, or DSL/Cable modem.

Leejor, thanks for the suggestion. I will plug the ethernet cable into the blue Internet port and report back. I thought I tried that and it didn't work, but I will try it again and let you know.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iTVerse
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.