• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

MWI on analog phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbryant84

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
Apr 6, 2016
Messages
124
Reaction score
49
We're using a new vendor of analog phones, and they're asking: "Will the msg light work using low voltage,high voltage,reverse polarity, or fsk?" Is there any way to get the message waiting indicator light working on analog phones with grandstream GXW4200, or any other 24+ port analog adapter? to my knowledge it's not possible, I believe the adapters are capable, but 3CX doesn't send the voicemail status of an extension to the adapter.
 
We're using a new vendor of analog phones, and they're asking: "Will the msg light work using low voltage,high voltage,reverse polarity, or fsk?" Is there any way to get the message waiting indicator light working on analog phones with grandstream GXW4200, or any other 24+ port analog adapter? to my knowledge it's not possible, I believe the adapters are capable, but 3CX doesn't send the voicemail status of an extension to the adapter.
The 3CX sends a SIP MWI to the gateway/adapter. From that point, it's the gateway job to send that MWI the right way to the analog phone.

We used HT80x in the past and they work great. I never used the GXW series with 3CX, but I know they do support MWI when configured correctly.
 
Hmm. I feel like I'm missing something. we've used these adapters in hotels before, and the MWI hasn't ever worked, but it was never a big deal for past clients, however it *is* a big deal to this customer. I guess I will have to provision an adapter in 3CX, remove provisioning, and see if I can play with the configuration to get it working. There's nothing in the 3CX config for which notification type to use, and I can't find the template that it sends to the adapter in the 3CX settings, to be able to make a custom template.

1626283031855.png
 
In the adapter webui, under Profiles>Profile1>SIP Settings>Basic Settings there is a Subscribe to MWI option that's set to off. I toggle that to on, then apply settings, then reboot the adapter (to force a provisioning update) and upon reboot the setting is toggled to off. It appears that the adapters are programmed by 3CX to ignore the MWI, so I will have to provision the adapters to get the extensions registered, then remove the provisioning afterward to enable this feature. In addition to that, under Profiles>Profile1>SIP Settings>Call Settings, the Visual MWI Type can be set to either FSK or Neon (which I believe is the same as High Voltage). so it looks like it's possible, but requires a bit of custom config. I asked the vendor to send us a phone to do some testing, and will update the thread with what I've found.
 
. I feel like I'm missing something. we've used these adapters in hotels before, and the MWI hasn't ever worked,
If the hotel was using the (analogue) phones that they had before the change to VoIP, it may be that they used the neon MWI lamps (about 90 volts DC). Most ATAs support CLASS MWI, but not neon.

I find it surprising that the default 3CX template has the Indicators set to disabled.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Grandstream generally sends us these templates, but I see the your point.
We will have to test this and if we find that there are no strange behaviors and it works OK on a SIP level, then we shall update this in a future Template update.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,148
Messages
590,963
Members
165,169
Latest member
Isaac415