• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Old Polycom phone - custom template is not taking effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwebb

New User
Joined
Apr 28, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have an old Polycom IP550 phone and I've followed the template guidelines and made a copy of the default template and edited the copy. No changes that I am making are taking effect. My system is running on Debian Linux and so I've tried restarting the box (don't see any links on the dashboard to restart services) and changes are still not taking effect.

Not trying to change anything major - just want to apply a dialplan digit string to the phone so that we don't have to hit send all the time to place a call - otherwise everything is working correctly.

EDIT: I also want to add that yes, I have associated the custom template with the extension under phone provisioning. The extension appears red in the list with (custom template) behind it.

Thanks,
Rich
 
Are you able to confirm, on the set, that your modified dialplan has not been uploaded? Have you tried a :factory reset" of the phone, then a re-provision?
 
Are you able to confirm, on the set, that your modified dialplan has not been uploaded? Have you tried a :factory reset" of the phone, then a re-provision?
I did look in the status section under configuration and it shows 2 duplicate entries.. when I take out the change it only shows 1 so apparently there must be a "master" setting somewhere overriding my change for the dialplan. I just learned a little bit about how the provisioning works with it being a http url. It seems as though the phone server generates the files that the device needs on the fly - they aren't actual files stored on the filesystem anywhere. So they are all generated based on the template.

Polycom's SIP software has always had a number of files - a config file, a reg file, some default files like sip.cfg and then the custom ones.. I don't know if all of that can be combined into a single file or not. According to the status page on the phone there are 240 errors in the template file so I think something is not formatted right in the template.
 
On Cisco sets, I've used, and as i recall, the dialplan is a different file. I can't confirm that on a Polycom.
 
Last edited:
I was able to get it working. I didn't notice the dialplan section further down in the file - I missed it the first few times through the file. After I put my dial plan in there it worked like a charm! Also was able to add the user preference to allow the messages button to bypass the message summary screen and go direct to voicemail! Cool!

Rich
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,964
Members
165,170
Latest member
SupportRock