• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Polycom Phones ALWAYS can call pickup on BLF

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwindrood

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Joined
Jun 18, 2020
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Problem Defined:
Any user can add any extension to their own BLF on their desk phone and will be able to answer calls for that extension.

I have not seen this exact problem addressed ... so I am going to assume that this is a problem specific to a particular IP phone. I am about to go "live" with about 100 Polycom VVX 410 (Legacy Phones). Testing has gone great and I am able to address pretty much everything.,,

Except this.

I have checked about every setting in the system and I am able to prevent call pickups (from *20*...) that are not within a group.

However, if one of my BLF (to an extension) sees the the extension ringing, I can just pick up the call using the BLF. This works every single time and i am unable to prevent this. (even when the *20* option will not work.)

I realize that for most small installations this is not a problem. This is a useful feature.

Scenario: Say a salesman figures out this bug and adds all other salesmen to his BLF. Not only can he see when his co-salesman's phone is ringing, he can answer their calls.

According to the Polycom documentation for the configuration file, this parameter would fix the problem
attendant.behaviors.automata.pickupOnBusy=0

I absolutely did not want to create a custom config file (and void any support from 3CX) but this is serious enough that I may have to. I think I may need to dive into documentation on how to edit the config file for all phones. Any help would be much appreciated.

Alternative solutions to this problem:
  • Somehow prevent users from adding certain extensions to their BLFs
  • Run a daily report on all user BLFs to catch ones that should not be added.
 
Hi @edwindrood

You need to do something specific, and you can create a custom template if you wish in order to achieve it.

Just keep in mind that if you want to contact 3CX support in the future with a specific issue, revert the phones to the default template first.
 
I was successful at creating a custom template. I was successful in altering the BLF call pickup behavior. I tried using the string above in the global "behaviors" setting and that did not work.

What did work was adding a "restrictPickup="1" on each numbered BLF in the template.

Before:
{IF blf1}
attendant.resourceList.1.address="%%blf1%%"
attendant.resourceList.1.label="%%blffirstname1%% %%blflastname1%%"
attendant.resourceList.1.type="automata"
{ELSE}


After:
{IF blf1}
attendant.resourceList.1.address="%%blf1%%"
attendant.resourceList.1.label="%%blffirstname1%% %%blflastname1%%"
attendant.resourceList.1.type="automata"
attendant.restrictPickup="1"
{ELSE}


I did this on all 128 numbered BLF sections of the template.

This works and is a "minimal" change to the template

Note: I believe that there would have been a better way: If I altered the "Way" in which the BLF press does the "directed pickup" to be a the 3CX system *20*extnum this would be preferable because the control of who could pickup calls would be in the 3CX group permissions. This looked too complex for us to do. I gave up on that.

We will use small extension groups to allow global *20* pickups within the group. And (as always) we can use a BLF key to be a directed pickup for a particular extension or ring-group.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,959
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us