• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Polycom VVX 250 Provisioning - Firmware Version, Provisioning Files not on 3cx server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zacman

Customer
Joined
Nov 2, 2022
Messages
10
Reaction score
1
Hi,
I just started to get serious with 3cx for our (small) phone system. In the past I was scared away by not being able to use ip phones without an SBC for cloud hosting. Now I setup a self-hosted instance at Digital Ocean and everything is up and running with a Voxtelesys SIP trunk. I have 2 offices with 1 IP phone each and so I don't really want to use an SBC at each just to run the phone, if thats the case I will just use the 3CX app. But I do like IP phones.... So I find that the VVX 250 is on the supported list.

I have recent VVX 250 phones and I have multiple issues here I think.
1. The supported firmware is listed as 6.4.3.5018, however the phone is 6.4.3.5156. I am only given 4 choices to select from. I tried downgrading to 6.3.1 to see if I could select other 6.4.3 versions but I only got the choice for 6.4.3 B still. So I don't know if this is an issue or not, but it was #1 to try.
1667409551713.png

2. Since I can't use RPS or LAN multicast provisioning, I logged into the UI and entered the provisioning info. The phone restarted and the 3CX logo shows up but the line is unregistered still.
1667409728427.png

I go to the logs, see attached
Code:
1102101237|dectU|4|00|DECT_UPDATER size of (updateStatusDetails) 384
1102101237|dectU|4|00|DECT_UPDATER Read Could not open file
1102101237|so   |4|00|[soMainWriteBootProvProxies] Provisioning proxy resolve state '0'
1102101238|copy |4|00|Could not set the custom header Content-Range for HTTP/s request. Head request failed to get content-length of server file.
1102101238|copy |*|00|Server '--------.ca.3cx.us' said 'provisioning/u1avr1yt9glijey/4825672403e3-phone.cfg' is not present
1102101238|cfg  |4|00|Prov|File transfer failed due to curl error code:22 and respCode:404
1102101238|dect |4|00|Dect Base macId from config:. Len:0
1102101238|log  |4|00|UtilLogServerC::uploadFifoLog: upload error. protocol 0 result = 0
1102101239|copy |*|00|Server '--------.ca.3cx.us' said 'provisioning/u1avr1yt9glijey/4825672403e3-web.cfg' is not present
1102101239|cfg  |4|00|Prov|File transfer failed due to curl error code:22 and respCode:404
1102101239|copy |*|00|Server '--------.ca.3cx.us' said 'provisioning/u1avr1yt9glijey/4825672403e3-cloud.cfg' is not present
1102101239|cfg  |4|00|Prov|File transfer failed due to curl error code:22 and respCode:404
1102101240|copy |*|00|Server '--------.ca.3cx.us' said 'provisioning/u1avr1yt9glijey/000000000000-license.cfg' is not present
1102101240|copy |*|00|Server '--------.ca.3cx.us' said 'provisioning/u1avr1yt9glijey/4825672403e3-license.cfg' is not present
1102101240|cfg  |4|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg: Unknown parameter "voice.volume.persist.usb.bluetooth.headset" found, ignoring.
1102101240|cfg  |4|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg: Unknown parameter "homeScreen.features.enable" found, ignoring.
1102101240|cfg  |4|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg: Unknown parameter "homeScreen.status.enable" found, ignoring.
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg: Value "" for configuration parameter lineKey.2.index is invalid, ignoring
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg: Value "" for configuration parameter lineKey.2.category is invalid, ignoring.  Valid values are:
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "Unassigned"
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "Line"
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "BLF"
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "SpeedDial"
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "Presence"
1102101240|cfg  |*|00|Prm|4825672403e3-config.cfg:    "EFK"

Okay maybe connectivity issue here, so I run all tests, including the firewall test and all come back okay.
I then try to access the files from the provisioning server via web browser, error 404 comes back.
So I log into the machine via SFTP and look in the provisioning folder and the files aren't there....
From what I could find online, this is the correct directory to look in and the one that 3cx directs me to:
1667409935194.png

So there are no MAC address based files here like the phone is looking for.

3. To fix the provisioning issue, could I use a local SBC to provision the phones, and then move them back to talk directly with the server? (shutdown SBC) Maybe this will get everything on the same page first.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.
Zac
 

Attachments

So I provisioned it via an SBC and it joined and it works, but clearly shows the firmware is not supported. So I would still like to be able to use and provision remotely via STUN.
1667424366851.png
 
No you must use an SBC not stun....
 
@Zacman

You kinda discovered the reason why we went into the trouble of making the SBC in the first place.

In detail:
1. Your registration is failing due to STUN because your ISP/CPE/Firewall is blocking the traffic. SBC will keep the phones working reliably, otherwise if you don't want the SBC I would go with the apps like you said earlier.

2. You will never see files, they are generated on the fly when the devices requests them and are not stored on disk.

3. You can try to push the firmware to the device using the Firmware button you see above in your screenshot.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
John,
Thanks so much for your reply.

@Zacman

You kinda discovered the reason why we went into the trouble of making the SBC in the first place.

In detail:
1. Your registration is failing due to STUN because your ISP/CPE/Firewall is blocking the traffic. SBC will keep the phones working reliably, otherwise if you don't want the SBC I would go with the apps like you said earlier.
When I do the firewall test for STUN everything passes. Also I was able to do this with this same phone via Zoom and Voip.ms without anything in between, so I am fairly certain the traffic is allowed by the ISP. Also I do have port 3478 forwarded to my unifi controller already for STUN on access points outside of my network, and they work great for provisioning the remote APs?

1667488922445.png

Also on the list of ports nothing is specificially listed as being for STUN, so I can open ports if I know what port it is using, but as I said I didn't have to do this for zoom or voip.ms.
1667489426652.png

But most importantly, if you are saying that there is no way to have ANY supported phone setup remotely without an SBC, then it is kinda a big deal to me as I would like to have one phone at another location. Would this be different for the PREFERRED supported phones in terms of zero touch configuration?

2. You will never see files, they are generated on the fly when the devices requests them and are not stored on disk.
Ok, makes sense why the phone was able to pull the same files from the SBC.

3. You can try to push the firmware to the device using the Firmware button you see above in your screenshot.
Do you have any suggestions where I can find this version of the firmware?

Zac
 
1. You will need the SIP port and high RTP ports. The Firewall Check tests the firewall sitting in front of the PBX. This is only half of the requirement. However, there's always a firewall sitting in front of your phone too on the other end, that's usually the culprit. You can see the defined SIP and RTP ports used by your phone if you edit the extension.

2. The files are pulled from the PBX HTTPS port

3. The PBX has these files downloaded. Tick the registered extension in the Phones page, and click the +Firmware button on top that will become active once you select at least one phone.
 
Thanks, I was able to load the correct supported firmware using your suggestion.

I will try to look at the firewall rules further.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,959
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us