"Teams Direct Routing will be deprecated in favor of sip gateway"

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnesdata

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
May 25, 2020
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
I just installed the update 5 Alpha 2 and saw this message in the Microsoft 365 Integration: "Teams Direct Routing will be deprecated soon"
Haven't seen anything more about this in the blog. Can someone confirm?
 
I read that different on the blog:
  • MS Teams support is now in maintenance mode. We are not planning new updates for the Teams feature.
So, for me, that means it remains, but with no new features. I have to agree, that any time we have added extensions to Teams, the user ends up going back to the 3CX client. The only exception to this tends to be low-use users (management people).
 
I read that different on the blog:
  • MS Teams support is now in maintenance mode. We are not planning new updates for the Teams feature.
So, for me, that means it remains, but with no new features. I have to agree, that any time we have added extensions to Teams, the user ends up going back to the 3CX client. The only exception to this tends to be low-use users (management people).
Microsoft keeps changing the APIs on their side so I understand why it's a waste of time to fix the 3CX side every time. To be honest, we have 1 customer using that.... 1.
 
I read that different on the blog:
  • MS Teams support is now in maintenance mode. We are not planning new updates for the Teams feature.
So, for me, that means it remains, but with no new features. I have to agree, that any time we have added extensions to Teams, the user ends up going back to the 3CX client. The only exception to this tends to be low-use users (management people).
About this.

https://www.3cx.com/blog/change-log/phone-system-change-log/
 
  • Like
Reactions: garnesdata
  • Like
Reactions: garnesdata
I believe that Microsoft will make a proper SIP trunk at some point such that you can connect 3CX to Teams using a bridge. Now granted, Microsoft knows less about open standards than China does about Copyright, human rights and democracy, but i believe they will understand to really be in the telephony business they will need to make some form of SIP trunk connectivity. Microsoft are generally quick learners :)

We will retest the SIP trunk connectivity of teams at some point. There might be SIP proxies that can take Microsoft SIP and make it into Open Standards SIP. We might consider making one too but we cant commit yet.

But i believe this is the correct direction of Teams with 3CX and indeed other telephony systems.
 
Microsoft knows less about open standards than China does about Copyright, human rights and democracy
This made me snort my coffee this morning :)
 
That's a pity, I have 2 clients who heavily utilize Teams and were looking forward to deploying this feature across their organizations.

Might be best to remove the advertising in this case:
https://www.3cx.com/phone-system/microsoft-teams/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Bruce Brewer
@Nick Galea we are a customer organisation at a UK-based further education college using 3CX. Can I please request you retain the existing Teams functionality in the product while ever it still works? Teams integration was a big selling point for us as we use it rather than the 3CX app for 90% of our users. We undertook the app migration when v18 update 3 launched, in good faith based on your marketing blogs promoting the feature. Appreciate that Microsoft are been a pain for you but we would like to keep using it "as is" for as long as we can. Thank you for your consideration.
 
@Nick Galea That is very very unfortunate to hear and really unexpected given the massive marketing push from 3cx in the last couple of months.

We've on-boarded multiple clients recently and have multiple planned for roll out in the second half of this year. Teams is a big selling point and the customers love the option to use either 3cx or teams. They love that freedom.
 
@Nick Galea I need to echo the thoughts of some posters above, this is a huge blow to our organization. We selected 3CX for our company PBX based in large part on its ability to integrate with Teams. My management team is extremely disappointed by this news.

We are literally within days of a company wide rollout of 3CX wTeams integration, so I've got the unfortunate duty of trying to figure out an alternative solution.
 
@Nick Galea I need to echo the thoughts of some posters above, this is a huge blow to our organization. We selected 3CX for our company PBX based in large part on its ability to integrate with Teams. My management team is extremely disappointed by this news.

We are literally within days of a company wide rollout of 3CX wTeams integration, so I've got the unfortunate duty of trying to figure out an alternative solution.
Not to derail the above conversation, but a stop gap / alternative option is a certified teams direct routing SBC, such as an AudioCodes device, that sits between the SIP trunk and 3CX/Teams. Calls go from SIP to SBC, which then routes to 3CX/Teams.

Once again, not really related to 3CX but I know the feeling of "I have to find an alternative in a tight timeline" and providing another solution.
 
@Nick Galea we are a customer organisation at a UK-based further education college using 3CX. Can I please request you retain the existing Teams functionality in the product while ever it still works? Teams integration was a big selling point for us as we use it rather than the 3CX app for 90% of our users. We undertook the app migration when v18 update 3 launched, in good faith based on your marketing blogs promoting the feature. Appreciate that Microsoft are been a pain for you but we would like to keep using it "as is" for as long as we can. Thank you for your consideration.
This is not a good use case of 3cx. ,(As in not the intention of the future integration) If you prefer to use teams client it's better to go all the way with teams....

So to be clear we will definitely support a trunk like connection between the two. However to use the teams client as a replacement for using 3cx app is not the future strategy and I don't recommend deploying it as such

So teams sip gateway YES. Teams app replacement for 3cx app or queues etc, NO
 
Last edited:
I've just came here to post that the User Script isn't working anymore:

WARNING: OnPremLineURI will be deprecated. Please use LineURI to update user's phone number.
Set-CsUser : This cmdlet has been deprecated. Use the new Set-CsPhoneNumberAssignment and
Remove-CsPhoneNumberAssignment cmdlets instead. Refer documentation for more details.

But now I'm discovering that the feature is getting binned entirely?

I read that different on the blog:
  • MS Teams support is now in maintenance mode. We are not planning new updates for the Teams feature.
So, for me, that means it remains, but with no new features. I have to agree, that any time we have added extensions to Teams, the user ends up going back to the 3CX client. The only exception to this tends to be low-use users (management people).

Where are you seeing this in the Blog?


I can't see this in the Changelog anywhere?

We have the vast majority of users using the 3CX App but we have some specific use cases where the Teams integration has worked really, such as Teams Rooms.

Is the currently functionality going to be maintained? Are the current Scripts going to be fixed?
 
Last edited:
Hi all,

We too have our LARGEST client using this Teams integration heavily! This could be catastrophic, but i'm not entirely clear on what the plans are on 3CX's side here.

3CX - Please clarify whether the integration/ability to sync users will be removed entirely in upcoming releases OR if there will simply be no further development to the integration. I was not able to find a concrete statement that clarified this on this thread.

Thank you in advance,

Justin Lippolis
Cortel Technologies.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dean C and RSIT
Regarding your question, form what I have understood, the post relates to the team's integration specifically. It is not planned for further development in its current implementation and may not be available in upcoming versions of 3cx. Microsoft 365 integration, on the other hand, which relates to User, Contacts, Calendar sync, and SSO features, should not be affected.
 
Last edited:
To be clear we will keep teams integration, just its method might change, specifically the SIP forking will not be supported between a 3CX and a teams account, i.e. you can not target both endpoints at the same time at some point. We cant give an exact time frame it might remain working for a long time.

Teams is hard to configure, you probably must open a support ticket if you have issues with the script. It can be simply the way you run it or you dont have licensing of teams or the correct SSL cert or things like that. Teams integration is still working.
 
@RAS_dw @Dean C

OnPremLineURI and Set-CsUser methods shown on the warning message are depricated from Microsoft, but we have already addressed this on previous releases.

This means that the script you are running was generated on an older version PBX.
Please ensure you are running the latest 3CX Phonesystem and regenerate the user script
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,148
Messages
590,963
Members
165,168
Latest member
Stephan Eusebe