V20 - Connection Issues - Stun - Remote Sites and Users

MarkyMark69

Bronze Partner
Basic Certified
Joined
Apr 14, 2023
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
We manage loads of 3CX tennants, The move to V20 we have tried to embrace. But we seem to always get stuck with the same problem.

This is the lack of connectivity options for remote workers and remote sites.

So it would seem we need a router phone or an SBC at every site. So huge expense. Especially for small systems.

This expense is something the customer an not understand. It used to work just fine, It works on my Mobile and my Laptop App. so Why do we need a router phone or an SBC.

One customer had three sites and only DECT phones at each site. - Only viable solution was to enable Stun via Custom Template. Something that is not supported by 3CX.

Other customers we have had to purchase Router Phones at our expense.

The next Customer our Largest are gearing up for the V20 switch. They have 5 remote Users out of 150. All have been working fine on v18 - We suggested they buy Router phones, which they have.

But now the router phones will not work for 3 of the 5 because they were using WiFi (and WiFi will not work with router phones fanvil x5u-v2) - and before you say it I know 3CX dont support WiFi - but this does not help us. As the solution that worked great under V18 now does not work and the customer has come back to us saying 'I am reading this as 3CX are no longer able to offer remote phones.'

This is 2025 and there needs to be a supported method of connectivity for phones that operate remotely without the need for SBC's, We cant be installing SBC's in customers houses - Its not supportable and in all honesty crazy that we would have too. I know i could use the STUN method via custom template but this particular customer does not like seeing unsupported in the dashboard.

I ask that 3CX review this with the end customer and your MSP's in mind. On reading other threads this is clearly an issue for many.
 
You can run an SBC anywhere technically. If you know how to setup the port forwarding and IP restrict access to it, you can have phones remotely connect to it without risk of security issues. I have an SBC with a public IP. Inbound is completely restricted by source IP (dynamic DNS where needed). At first it worked without RTP ports open in the firewall, but that was coincidence. I simply had to open port 5090 and the RTP port range found in the config file of the SBC.
You don't need to open any ports at all for sbc...!
 
You do when the SBC is not at the same location as the phone. I created an SBC somewhere (behind a firewall) that remote devices that are not router phones connect to.
 
T
You do when the SBC is not at the same location as the phone. I created an SBC somewhere (behind a firewall) that remote devices that are not router phones connect to.
That's not the way to use an sbc with 3cx.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fxbastler
Definitely not supported, but a very useful hack for an inconvenient situation. ;)
 
For what it's worth. I didn't disable anything. I just followed the guide's steps and everything else was defaulted per system settings I guess.
 

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
112,156
Messages
591,013
Members
165,188
Latest member
Teemal