• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Yealink T29G firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemailey1

Customer
Reaction score
Can anyone help shine any light on this:

I'm trying to update Yealink T29G firmware from 46.82.0.30 to 46.83.0.130 but I can't get the firmware to update.

The phone reboots, then goes to the welcome sceen - initialising ..... please wait.

But it just comes back on as normal, without doing the actual firmware update or attempting to from the looks of things.

I migrated from on prem to aws and switched to direct sip last night.

I've not moved all phones away from the on prem 3cx yet, but I was able to do firmware upgrades on the devices I've not migrated to the AWS server.

Just can't seem to get the firmware update to kick off devices I've move to the AWS server.

Hi Joe,

You can download the firmware from our website and try to apply it manually to the phone and see if you are successful but if local ones upgrade just fine, then this might not be necessary at all..

If the issue is the AWS server, then you will need to do some work in analyzing the traffic, and requires some wireshark knowledge to see if the TLS connection is failing somewhere (one possible reason that would prevent the upgrade). No session established = no firmware file downloaded = no upgrade.

A couple of questions

1. are you using your own custom FQDN and SSL certificates?

2. can the phones provision remotely off of the AWS-based PBX?

3. give us full details on your AWS system https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/information-to-provide-when-requesting-help.67558/

I have Discovered Auto Provisioning wasn't working since my original post.

Even though my local server is running fine and able to update & provision etc, but i guess that wasn't probably using the FQDN.

I've been doing a bit of work on this, managed to get a PCAP of the yealink, followed a different thread somewhere to enable more detailed logging. I was using my own cert and FQDN, but noticed a cert error in the pcap, level: fatal unknown CA.

Not sure why it doesn't like my cert as its used in other places and passes sslchecker fine. But the yealink doesn't like.

So I setup certbot on my windows server and got lets encrypt working. - not sure on the impact this will have when it renews. I think nginx needs restarted for this to work possibly and maybe some other services i guess. I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Auto provisioning now works, but firmware upgrades still didn't work.
I was using a custom template - which was a copy of yealink t29g template probably outdated.

When I delete and re-add the phones and used the proper template, firmware upgrades seem to work fine.
So I'm nearly there, still moving devices from old 3cx server to the new one.

Best part about this is all soft phone clients continued to work and no one is in the office, so plenty of time for me to mess with this without disrupting anyone :)

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,

I suspected this might have been the case, and this is why we generally recommend to customers to use a 3CX FQDN since we have pre-tested the devices+firmware to contain the same SSL as the one we use, making everything seamless (including auto-renewal). LAN provisioning is plain HTTP so no certs were involved = no problem here.

If a 3CX FQDN is not an option, then you will indeed incur the extra work of manually managing the certs (and nginx restart) but if you are OK with this then LE certs should work fine for you. The clients probably worked fine because the OS the clients run on (ie. Windows) probably already accept the cert provider you had before, but phone manufacturers have limited ROM space so they will include a limited list (which they publish in their documentation).

If you have the option, consider using a 3CX FQDN as it will reduce the amount of admin you need, and hopefully also reduce any user complaints that may arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.