• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

3CX Door Entry System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_AIT

Silver Partner
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
76
Reaction score
17
We have a customer that I am creating a proposal to take over their dated ISDN system. However, they currently have a door entry system/intercom. They have no information on how it works or who looks after it. It would probably be easier to trash it and start again. I do not, however, have any experience in setting up a door entry system within 3CX. I have looked at the compatible door phones but don't know where to start in setting on up. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Hi Matt,

From the 3CX end, devices like the Fanvil i30 or i31S, or Grandstream 3705, 3710 for example can make and receive calls, and can also be instructed via a DTMF code to open the door. They also have a keypad so a user can optionally enter via pin entry or if have their NFC tag with them. Additionally, the VoiceMail PIN number is used as the Door Open password, so you need to set the VoiceMail PIN to the desired code on devices like the Fanvil.

You will of course have too hook up the door relay to the doorphone for this to work, but you will have to study the manual to see what to connect where. Perhaps this can serve as a starting point before you choose a device.

I will repeat the best piece of advice on this matter is to study the manual ;)

Look at the door phones section here for supported models: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
 
Hi Matt,

From the 3CX end, devices like the Fanvil i30 or i31S, or Grandstream 3705, 3710 for example can make and receive calls, and can also be instructed via a DTMF code to open the door. They also have a keypad so a user can optionally enter via pin entry or if have their NFC tag with them. Additionally, the VoiceMail PIN number is used as the Door Open password, so you need to set the VoiceMail PIN to the desired code on devices like the Fanvil.

You will of course have too hook up the door relay to the doorphone for this to work, but you will have to study the manual to see what to connect where. Perhaps this can serve as a starting point before you choose a device.

I will repeat the best piece of advice on this matter is to study the manual ;)

Look at the door phones section here for supported models: https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
Thank you for the information. I'll do some reading.
 
If the existing system is analogue and is simply connected with phone line, then, depending on cost (and any issues with the current system), you could consider using an ATA to interface to 3CX.

How that is set up will depend on how the current system operates. If it is a simple system...push one button, and the system rings a predetermined number, then the ATA could be set to dial that number upon seizure. If it is more complicated, where multiple destinations can be selected, then the ATA may simply have to provide dialtone. The numbers being dialed may have to be changed to match any changes in the 3CX extension numbers used.

The first thing to do is to find out what model they are now using, how it interfaces to the current system, how old it is (if it breaks down, can it be fixed), and how it operates.
 
If the existing system is analogue and is simply connected with phone line, then, depending on cost (and any issues with the current system), you could consider using an ATA to interface to 3CX.

How that is set up will depend on how the current system operates. If it is a simple system...push one button, and the system rings a predetermined number, then the ATA could be set to dial that number upon seizure. If it is more complicated, where multiple destinations can be selected, then the ATA may simply have to provide dialtone. The numbers being dialed may have to be changed to match any changes in the 3CX extension numbers used.

The first thing to do is to find out what model they are now using, how it interfaces to the current system, how old it is (if it breaks down, can it be fixed), and how it operates.
Thank you for the useful information. I will try and work out how the current door system operates but I'm not holding out much hope.
 
One of the Fanvil devices will be your best option.

You didnt mention anything on the door entry system - mag lock? What? is it a closed circuit or an open circuit?

You'd be able to wire the mag lock in to the Fanvil and configure it to open/close on entry.
 
One of the Fanvil devices will be your best option.

You didnt mention anything on the door entry system - mag lock? What? is it a closed circuit or an open circuit?

You'd be able to wire the mag lock in to the Fanvil and configure it to open/close on entry.
To be honest I don't even think they know what they have. I'll have a look to see what I can work out.
 
I have configured (unsupported) Fanvil intercoms to operate door entries. The intercoms have at least one relay (depends on the model you buy) and it can be operated in either normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) mode.

The biggest issue I found is configuring an extension BLF to be DTMF as this isn't supported in 3CX (up to version 16 at least - I don't know about version 18 yet). When I did it I had to create a custom template that was applied to the phones used to control the door locks.

Once configured on the phone, the person answering the intercom call just had to push a button to unlock the door. I found it to work quite well (as long as people waited until the door unlocked before trying to open it :rolleyes:).
 
I have configured (unsupported) Fanvil intercoms to operate door entries. The intercoms have at least one relay (depends on the model you buy) and it can be operated in either normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) mode.

The biggest issue I found is configuring an extension BLF to be DTMF as this isn't supported in 3CX (up to version 16 at least - I don't know about version 18 yet). When I did it I had to create a custom template that was applied to the phones used to control the door locks.

Once configured on the phone, the person answering the intercom call just had to push a button to unlock the door. I found it to work quite well (as long as people waited until the door unlocked before trying to open it :rolleyes:).
I just set up a custom speed dial with the unlock code to unlock the door and it works. No need for custom templates
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,965
Members
165,170
Latest member
SupportRock