3CX phone for Android problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rémy Faure-Vincent

Joined
Dec 4, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
We recently deployed around 20 Samsung Galaxy Xcover for use with our new 3CX phone system, and they have been randomly unable to receive calls even after re-doing the entire Firebase configuration and checking twice that everything should be running fine.
  • "no network" issue (while phone is running over reliable 4G mobile access)
  • phone that doesn't ring at all, or does so a minute later (probably when finally acknowledging the firebase push)
  • touchscreen accepting input from users' ear while on a call (what is the proximity sensor option for, really ?)
  • application not restarting properly when asked to quit or quit without push
  • application not coming to front when call is received on some phones (only the notification appears)
  • calls take one to several seconds to be connected when touching the accept button
  • bluetooth headsets have audio and microphone routing issues, not working at all in most cases
we tried a variety of solutions including switching from wifi to 4G, removing the lockscreen pattern, automating an application restart every minute but none worked reliably.

all the phones are running the same official Samsung Android build, with all Samsung system apps disabled via Gsuite admin (ensuring a nearly pure Android OS), with the same lack of restrictions.

Please take a look at Zoiper for something that works and take example.

We are extremely disappointed in this system, given that we switched to those smartphones because our old Aastra DECTs "have not been tested" by 3CX and thus are "incompatible".

We would also appreciate the application to be allowed for install on Chromebooks, since it is still locked out on the Play Store.

I am available for any inquiry and/or test on our deployment, before we switch back to the reliable SIP/DECT solution we had before.
 
  • Like
Reactions: nitrox
Happy to share this if it helps

Running latest PBX version of 3CX V15.5, Update 2 on our own LAN.
Have 3CX App version 15.5.166
Running on Androd HTC 10
Android software Version 7
We have setup our own Firebase Cloud keys

If the Android phone is in sleep mode and you ring it from a 3CX extension it "wakes" up and receives the call. That would indicate to me that everything is configured correctly and PUSH is working. However if the phone goes back into sleep mode and you try it again after say 30 second or so it does not answer. If you wait a few minutes and then try it will work again.

I've gone over settings a few times and everything looks right. I wonder if it's something to do with Google Firebase?
 
We've made a small beta release (Not so small) with several fixes to what i've already mentioned. There's additional fixes to several other small things that have always plagued the 3CX Android Client.

Check out the changelog:
https://www.3cx.com/blog/change-log/3cxphone-android-build-history/

To sign up for the beta:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.tcx.sipphone14


This is just a start, more are to hopefully follow quite soon.

Take note that if you install this version and then want to switch back to the production version of the 3CX Client, you'l need to uninstall the beta first as it contains a batch of big changes related to app permissions.
 
after 4 days of testing now i cannot receive call via push anymore. I just leaved the phone connected to the wifi network and when i came back to work i tried to call the phone and no ringing is coming. I just updated the app to version 15.5.170.

so this the testing phone/pbx version right now
huawei P9 lite (huawei VNS-L31) / Android 7.0 / 3cx app 15.5.170 / 3cx pbx 15.5 SP2
 
Nitrox, I believe if you have updated the app you will have to re-provision all your other phones to ensure PUSH works correctly

I tried the Beta version and it looks fine - but I was unable to get PUSH working. Not sure if that's because my Windows Softphone is version 15.5.7262.2 and maybe it's not compatible with the app beta version.
 
Nitrox, I believe if you have updated the app you will have to re-provision all your other phones to ensure PUSH works correctly

No, you have not.

I tried the Beta version and it looks fine - but I was unable to get PUSH working. Not sure if that's because my Windows Softphone is version 15.5.7262.2 and maybe it's not compatible with the app beta version.

Why are you mixing the windows softphone with the app smartphone? The windows softphone doesn't get push notification.
 
I should have explained that I'm just using a Windows 3CX Softphone to test PUSH is working on the Android phone and when I ran the beta version of the 3CX App I was unable to get PUSH to work for me. It worked when I went back to the last version of the Android App 15.5.170.
 
Keep in mind that only 1 device can be registered for push at a time for the same extension number.

If you have 2 Android phones registered with the same extension number, only the one that's most recently subscribed for push will receive push notifications. Mentioning it just in case this is what you're facing.


Also if push is suddenly no longer working for you, please verify the following for me, simply press the "Exit" button in your app's "More" menu and try again. Let me know if this somehow fixes it.
 
Keep in mind that only 1 device can be registered for push at a time for the same extension number.

If you have 2 Android phones registered with the same extension number, only the one that's most recently subscribed for push will receive push notifications. Mentioning it just in case this is what you're facing.

i know that.

Also if push is suddenly no longer working for you, please verify the following for me, simply press the "Exit" button in your app's "More" menu and try again. Let me know if this somehow fixes it.

sometimes the phone doesn't ring at all. From my test (3cx app 15.5.170) it is working randomly . I need time to test it completely . I want to sniff the packet on the wireless so i could see the push packet coming. I want to be sure that is the app that is still not working and not the push packet which are not coming. With the latest stable version 15.5.170 took time to see the app to not ring.
 
Hello @nitrox,


Can you check your 3CXDialer log file to see if the Push is send successfully each time you making a call?

Dialer log file is locate under C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Logs\3CXDialer.log. You should see this on the log file "GCM response: OK OK " . However, if the response is OK and the phone do not ring then we need to check further.

Thank you
 
I've been testing the beta version with two users, and apparently our smartphones are now ringing more or less reliably, if a bit later than the deskphones.

I'm considering deploying the beta to the rest of our users since I can't find any real issue with it...
 
Hello @nitrox,


Can you check your 3CXDialer log file to see if the Push is send successfully each time you making a call?

Dialer log file is locate under C:\ProgramData\3CX\Instance1\Data\Logs\3CXDialer.log. You should see this on the log file "GCM response: OK OK " . However, if the response is OK and the phone do not ring then we need to check further.

Thank you

ok.

for the linux one who are watching this thread the path is:

/var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Logs

what exactly means the GCM response OK OK?

at the moment the phone is ringing so i cannot reproduce the problem. I am waiting for the problem.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: nitrox
Hello @nitrox ,



It means that Google Cloud Messaging server received the message and response with OK
is it possible to know from the log if the push message was correctly delivered to the smartphone?

Because if the Google Cloud Messaging has answered with OK OK doesn't really mean that the message was delivered. Am i wrong?

thanks

--
nitrox
 
Last edited:
is it possible to know from the log if the push message was correctly delivered to the smartphone?


Yes you can. If the call did not stuck on google push server or on any firewall :) then you can see the push call under Android logs in Verbose logging like :
regId="FCM#dcoY1akWTbQ:APA91bHjWkZQEEFJQj8f_vAiQOvrMgHSpn61xke3oV2HuMpV0xYKoNHYJ22dGzCy15oylnEfT0ee_Y6c2Dhajhjdkashdad868as6d8as6daskjdkahskdhakshdfsdkfjdls".
 
  • Like
Reactions: nitrox
ok, 5 minutes ago i had the same problem. Phone not ringing when the call is coming. I had under:
/var/lib/3cxpbx/Instance1/Data/Logs/3CXDialer.log
this log:
GCM response: OK OK
and i saw the push packet coming from the wireless access point (i have sniffed from the wireless side as well). I have tried to call the phone (huawei P9 lite "huawei VNS-L31" / Android 7.0 / 3cx app 15.5.170 / 3cx pbx 15.5 SP2) 5 times at least and never was ringing. The push packet was correctly delivered to the phone. Before open the 3cx app i have tried to go and open the browser and search something and i was able to browse. After that i tried again to call the phone and always NO ringing. The phone has 39% of battery life and doesn't have a SIM. So it has just connected to the wireless. When i open the app i was able to call the phone after 5 minutes of standby. From my point of view the app was like stopped. I was able to call another android phone (Samsung S8 android 7.0/Samsung experience 8.1) under the same access point. I have sent the log (huawei) from the app to 3cx.
The test are done inside our data center so i am 100% sure about the infrastructure. The phone it is just leaved on my desk and every 2 hours i am trying to call it for testing purpose.

--
nitrox
 
Last edited:
Hi LeonidasG.
Would it be possible to name the version in the History log as the version on the Client
3CX Client for Android BETA 15.1.190, December 2017

Thank you


Is this not how it's already named?
 
Hi LeonidasG.

No, my client on a android say 15.5.190
 
You're quite correct. I've gone ahead and corrected this on the changelog.

As a small update:

1) No Network, we've made a fix for this internally. You'l be getting a beta for this soon.
2) Push issues. We've found a little something internally that may or may not be an issue. We'l be fixing it and releasing it in the next beta. You can let us know if this affects your push notification reliability or not.

In regards to the audio routing issues, this will take us a bit longer to fix as it's not something simple. It's core functionality.
 
You're quite correct. I've gone ahead and corrected this on the changelog.

As a small update:

1) No Network, we've made a fix for this internally. You'l be getting a beta for this soon.
2) Push issues. We've found a little something internally that may or may not be an issue. We'l be fixing it and releasing it in the next beta. You can let us know if this affects your push notification reliability or not.

In regards to the audio routing issues, this will take us a bit longer to fix as it's not something simple. It's core functionality.

2) ok. At least everyday the app doesn't ring. I need always to open 3cx to wake app it again. So the 170 is not reliable for me and i decided to become beta tester and try to give my help to solve this problem. So i will let you know if in the next beta release i discovery the same problem or not. I am waiting for the next beta.

thank you for your help

--
nitrox
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,967
Members
165,171
Latest member
Mahlon