• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

3CX phone for Android problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please keep us updated

Please try the following and let me know if that works for you:
Navigate to Dashboard / Push Account and delete the server key and sender Id values (save them somewhere as you might need them after the test). Press on to save the settings
Now the dashboard should say 3CX account next to the Push account.
Navigate to Activity log / Settings and set the logging level to verbose
Restart all 3CX services
Log back in to the management console once services finish restarting
Send a new welcome email to an affected device (very important)
Re-provision the device with the new welcome email.
Put the 3CX client to the background or lock the device and wait for 1-2 minutes to make sure that the PBX will use Push.
Make a call to the extension.
Let us know if the call was successful or not

I have been having the exact same issues (with various Android Phones eg. OPPO, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, etc). If the 3CX client is open and on the phone screen, it will ring in all situations. If it's actively running in the background (ie. visible in the task manager), it will ring in all situations. But as soon as you close the app, the Push notifications never seem to bring it back to life. I have done some verbose logging to capture it in a test I did, not sure what log files I'm supposed to be looking at specifically though.

My client also did some of their own testing and they have said that calls made directly to the specific extension number from another extension on the PBX (ie. not calls from a Call Queue) seem to Push through properly - and I confirmed that the users were definitely logged into the desired queues.

Even with Apple phones we are having some interesting problems with Push, but I'll save that for a non-Android thread.

- Jacob

Please keep us updated
I did exactly what you asked, including the welcome mail resent and here's the result 3 minutes after pressing the attachment in the mail and leaving the app open and the phone to put itself to sleep :

3 phones in 7 from this specific queue. the funny part ? if I wake them up then let them go back to sleep, I get any number between 2 and 4 ringing but never the same phones. keep in mind they were left entirely untouched between provisioning and call and work with the 3CX app open and in focus, as shown here :

and it's the exact same behavior with our own firebase push setup.

edit ps : all the phones have the exact same configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitrox
In my understanding app in such case should be reprovisioned with Whitelisting which is acceptable when basic function is broken.:confused:

An app can check whether it is currently on the exemption whitelist by calling isIgnoringBatteryOptimizations().
Users can manually configure the whitelist in Settings > Battery > Battery Optimization. Alternatively, the system provides ways for apps to ask users to whitelist them.

Last edited:
the app has been added manually to the energy use whitelist on every phone in these videos :/

they're also all on the january 30th update.

I have been having the exact same issues (with various Android Phones eg. OPPO, Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, etc).
But that's not enough. Oppo's software will still kill the app unless you take two more steps.

Questions.

1) Are all these phones registered on the same extension number or are they on separate extension numbers?

2) The number you're calling is a queue? What's your queue config? Ring all?

But that's not enough. Oppo's software will still kill the app unless you take two more steps.
Interesting, I had to dig in the options to find where Samsung had hidden it but it's there. I did all that on all the phones, I'll be back with results.

thanks.

edit : same behavior - random phones waking up on a ring all queue call after going to sleep, between 2 and 4 of them.

edit 2 : after a reboot, for the first time ever, ALL OF THEM ringed after going to sleep. Going to let them sleep for 15 minutes and retry.

edit 3 : nope. 5 out of 9 this time :(
Questions.

1) Are all these phones registered on the same extension number or are they on separate extension numbers?
one extension per phone.
2) The number you're calling is a queue? What's your queue config? Ring all?
it's a ring all queue, as you can see in the second video.

Last edited:
Can you send me a few files to check so we can further troubleshoot? I will send you a p.m. with what we need. Keep an eye on your inbox. Can you also let me know what model these Samsung phones are what Android version they are running?

Galaxy Xcover 4 SM-G390F running Nougat 7.0. But we have the same issues on Galaxy S6s and S7s.

I'll answer your pm as soon as I get it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Your video gave us some clues on what exactly to check to reproduce these inconsistent PUSH call results. We've managed to reproduce something similar on our side specifically on some but not all Sony/Samsung devices.

We'll get back to you as soon as we have more to mention.

We're having the same issue with Samsung, Sony, Xioami devices. All of them do not ring right after device goes to sleep, no exuse. In dialoer log I can see GCM reply OK OK...

Sorry if I'm adding unnecessary information - but we have two Samsung Galaxy S7 and we're having severe problems with the 3CX client simply not ringing. I'm using the latest beta version of the 3CX app.

When opening the 3CX app, it's simply stuck on "Disconnected". I have to manually quit the app and restart it to make it work again. I've tried both with wifi enabled and disabled for extended periods, same issue.
I can't really pinpoint when it happens either, because it doesn't seem consistent. Sometimes it can work for an entire day, sometimes it stops working after an hour or so (shortest time I've been able to detect anyway).
Also tried telling our phones never to put 3CX to sleep, but it makes no difference.
If the app is up and active on the display, it rings every time. So it must be a "background" issue.

Also, half the time there's only silence when answering. Next call from the same number may work right afterwards.

Note, we never place calls through the app, only receive.

Hi, There are certainly improvements that can be done to our Android client and we are actively developing an update.

However, you can not expect enterprise results when using Old models or consumer phones such as OPPO (??). Quite frankly best enterprise phone is an iphone, but if Android then stick to mid to high range phones from Samsung and Google for example - and recent ones.

The problem with Android is that there are many versions of Android OS, often customized and then coupled with many many different hardware versions and this makes it much more difficult to test. Also quite frankly Apple PUSH infrastructure is better. So yes Android is 150 euros cheaper than iphone but there is a reason for it.

But we will go buy an Xcover today and retest

Quite frankly best enterprise phone is an iphone, but if Android then stick to mid to high range phones from Samsung and Google for example - and recent ones.
this is quite worrying to read. Samsung phones are the worst offenders in term of system modification with their 250+ system apps preinstalled because they try to push Samsung apps and Knox for enterprise use (even if they're the most sold and most used because marketing), and Google phones lately are 1k€+ plus simply unavailable in Europe.
The problem with Android is that there are many versions of Android OS, often customized and then coupled with many many different hardware versions and this makes it much more difficult to test. Also quite frankly Apple PUSH infrastructure is better. So yes Android is 150 euros cheaper than iphone but there is a reason for it.
All the phones we have in our entreprise fleet are on the latest widely distributed version of Android, 7.1. All the phones we have range from 400€ (xcovers) to 800€ (s7), and I can confirm I have the same issues on a pure stock Android Google Nexus 5x as well. The Apple PUSH infrastructure might be better (because it's hard-coded in the phone itself and the only option you have), but there are plenty of Android apps that are working well. I hope you're not on the 3CX Android dev team...

Why don't you guys start by putting that persistent notification in the shade like every other app that needs to receive push reliably and quickly ?
But we will go buy an Xcover today and retest
It's not phone-dependent. You have reports from people using almost every kind of device on the market. And Android has become quite device-agnostic in the last two major versions...

Thanks for your comments Remy.

Please do be aware that PUSH in the Android app has been our #1 priority since your and many other people's reports about inconsistent calls. We're not at all mute to what people are saying.

There indeed seem to be some issues related to PUSH and we've been working very hard on identifying and fixing them. We're releasing a new version in BETA today with a small batch of PUSH fixes. To clarify, the fixes contained in this release won't completely fix inconsistent push calls, only partially we're still working hard on this. If we could give you and everyone a fix for this now, we would.

We're hard in development on this subject currently, we require more time until we can provide you something that directly fixes the holy grail issue of inconsistent PUSH calls. Stay onboard and we'll get there.

In the mean time, the new BETA will be available in the store soon(next hour or so). (Version .280) If you'd be kind enough to check it out and give us your feedback on it, that'd be great.

I installed it, I'll come back after testing it out.

edit : not a big fan of the unrequested unsignaled unsigned edit to this thread's title by some site admin...

Last edited:
Hello, I have read through all these posts and do not seem to find resolution to the call issue unless I am mistaken. One of my salesman is having issue where his samsung phone with latest updates is not receiving a single call in the 3cx app whether on cellular or wifi.

Will the beta assist with this? He needs his application working for his job.

Had also problems with my Samsung S8 not getting a call mostly on cellular.
After disabling the Tunnel option, the system seems to be much more stable.

Hello @Larry

Hello, I have read through all these posts and do not seem to find resolution to the call issue unless I am mistaken. One of my salesman is having issue where his samsung phone with latest updates is not receiving a single call in the 3cx app whether on cellular or wifi.

I suggest to delete his extension and re-create it again with all the appropriete options for in and out of office.

Hello, @Severin Meyer ,

Had also problems with my Samsung S8 not getting a call mostly on cellular.
After disabling the Tunnel option, the system seems to be much more stable.

We discussed the issue with the tunnel in another thread. Secure RTP cannot be use over tunnel. If you want full security you should also enable TLS.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.