• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Implemented 3CX SBC Status in Admin GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonymous

Especially with the emphasis on hosted installations, I forsee many SBC's being deployed, either hardware (Pi) or software on Windows clients. Rather than depend on the "Lost registration" notification per extension, Is it possible to treat the SBC similar to a trunk as for as visibility and notifications go? i.e. a new line item under the System Status or maybe show up in the Bridge section. The big difficulty in my mind is if 3CX tracks the SBCs differently from a 3CXPhone tunnel.

As it sits right now the only method of monitoring is status notification by extension, and that has the potential to generate mass amounts of email traffic.

Thoughts?

Upvote 134
@Nick Galea any thoughts on this? This would really help us.

3cx has issued a very kind formal reply to the encryption issue. Related to this, they have mentioned that moving forward "SBC will extended with an auto-update function which can be controlled remotely" . I have asked them to kindly check this thread and see if perhaps this can be something that could be worked in as well. Between this and the auto update function i think i can safely speak for most of the larger re-sellers in that we would be very satisfied.

Reactions: rite and tvdir
This is a must have feature. +1

As the title states, this is one of the feature requests that will at some point be implemented.

I had a word with the Product Manager and currently this is in the concept phase, so very early in the Development procedure. There is no ETA as to when this will be implemented, but it may not be soon as this feature may be part of a larger set of features all focused around the SBC which are also being considered.

Reactions: Johnbenj
Hi Troosters,

The Raspberry Pi, in particular, can be an excellent SBC - but it has some quirks that need to be addressed in order for it to be reliable. If you have the patience, you can create a provisioning formula that will let you roll out dependable SBC's. We create a standard Pi image that we know works and then we use that to create SBC's for clients as we on-board them. One specific weakness that many people encounter is that the SBC service can start up too quickly. I think this issue contributes to the opinion that the SBC's are unreliable. The service needs to be restarted after the network is up and connected for tunnel to establish itself correctly. This can be done by creating a script and adding it to the startup procedures. The steps below accomplish this.

############### SSH into the PI ####################
# make yourself a superuser for the next steps
sudo su

# create a shell script to use to fix the problem
nano /home/pi/3cxsbcrestart.sh
## script begin
sleep 10
service 3cxsbc restart
## script end

# <ctrl>x, then y, then <enter> to save the script

# set the permissions so it can be executed
chmod +x /home/pi/3cxsbcrestart.sh

# edit the list of startup scripts
nano /etc/rc.local

# add this somewhere towards the end
sudo /home/pi/3cxsbcrestart.sh &
# <ctrl>x, then y, then <enter> to save the script

##############################################
If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Best,

Kirk

@DSXDATA Kirk, do you find this approach to be more or less reliable than the wait for network boot approach? Should the both be deployed or only 1?

In theory the wait for network approach should work by itself. But they will not interfere with each other. We deploy both because I've always had trust issues.

Reactions: OCWI
Awesome, Thanks Kirk!

As the title states, this is one of the feature requests that will at some point be implemented.

I had a word with the Product Manager and currently this is in the concept phase, so very early in the Development procedure. There is no ETA as to when this will be implemented, but it may not be soon as this feature may be part of a larger set of features all focused around the SBC which are also being considered.

@Nick Galea Thank you for the kind reply and for speaking with your PM on it. I believe i speak for many of us on here when i say it is encouraging to hear some of some future SBC focused updates. As im sure you can empathize, some of our businesses' reputation rely on the reliability of these devices.

In further note, we have a made a mass switch out from windows BSC's to raspberry pi's and that has proved to be significantly more reliable. Please continue giving the Raspberry Pi devices attention in future updates - they are key to the success of this product line for us.

Indeed, also more people going to 3CX cloud and SBC are the only reliable option to do so, we really need this feature.
Maybe you guys need to hire more Software engineers to support the feature customers want and certainly need.
As many requested options should be basic.

Reactions: teldata1 and OCWI
Can I add another "bump" to this thread as it's now v15.5 and still no sign on the SBC windows implementation of a status display, nor any way to see if an SBC is alive on the 3CX console. :)
Would be really useful esp as more and more 3CX instances are going out on hosted services.

Reactions: Johnbenj and OCWI
We really need the ability to monitor and automatically restart the SBC services on the Pi which is all we use.

+1

Hi Guys
We are working on some designs on how to manage SBC slaves from the management console. We need this. SBC's have exploded in use and they depend on the pbx. With a many to one relationship, admins will go crazy. Also they also serve numerous small offices and also whole branches connecting to hosted pbx's.. all working behind 3CX SBC.

But merging non sip proxy features inside a pure sip sbc is a big and risky task so we had to postpone it. So we needed time to plan and prepare for it. In previous updates, we improved the updating mechanism for 3CX and now we can focus on modifying other parts.
Don't put your hopes too high because we need more time.

However, lets use this opportunity to raise any ideas aforementioned in this thread or from past experiences, and post here in one concise feature description followed by a short explanation why this is so important and benefits you get.
Example: Ability to update sbc's remotely via 3CX Management Console. Time saver.

Thank you in advance for all for your feedback!!

My biggest feature wish is to see SBC Status in the Console, and to generate an email Alert if an SBC has been disconnected for more than nn minutes. The alert will need to include the pbx URL and SBC ID so we know which one. (This will require that we can set an ID on the SBC.) Another alert should go out when it reconnects. We need to know when an SBC is down.

If the SBC can be configured as a named object we could then pre-configure this when shipping phones and the SBC so they work out of the box. As it is we have to wait and assign them after they are connected. This would save time, and not require the client and provider to co-ordinate setup times.

We install ScreenConnect on all SBC units now, so we can remotely manage them without direct access or firewall rules, but if you can proxy web requests to phone web pages can be launched that would be very beneficial.

Reactions: Nathan Boyd and nb
Nice - ok so far we have these proposals
Give a name + description to SBC
View SBC's in the management console
Notify when connected or disconnected for Time t
Upgrade SBC's remotely

Web pages of the phones you can already see from the phones page. Thats OK already.

Nice - ok so far we have these proposals
Upgrade SBC's remotely

Web pages of the phones you can already see from the phones page. Thats OK already.

Exactly!

Except for "Web pages of the phones", which is really outside the scope of this request. If the phones are behind an SBC the "Phone UI" option is grayed out, so we can't access the pone web page. They are on a different LAN, so that makes sense. However, it could be possible for the SBC to proxy the HTTPS requests for a LAN device back to the remote console session. I have used other management tools in the past that do this. I may put in a new idea for this one.

Yes you are right - phone ui is grayed out because you dont have port forwarding.
So I will udpate the list.

Upgrade SBC's remotely
Web proxy in SBC to launch phone ui remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.