• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Basic help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
mylove4life said:
Every thing some where down the road is VOIP...

Not necessarily...while it is true that may PSTN "phone companies" are now using VoIP for long distance trunking between toll centres, many incumbents (locally) are still using (digital) class 5 switches (space/time switching, T1/E1(type) trunking). A call may not go VoIP until it is passed to another company.

The eventual conversion to VoIP is obviously happening faster within some companies/countries, but there will be legacy switches around for quire some time as the cost to replace them (in many cases) can't be justified. VoIP conversion will take place in areas where service has not previously been available,or, where there is a choice with going for (staying with) legacy (and associated costs of maintenance), or a new install involving VoIP.

The cost of maintaining/installing (parts, expertise) will be one of, if not the major incentive to change.

mylove4life said:
you will have much less trouble... I would always use a normal phone line other than VOIP when you can.

I do agree that PSTN line is more reliable than voip since it is a 100+years technology vs voip only been around for less than 20 years and in the market for even lesser time. But I don't agree that voip have more trouble than PSTN. In fact, compare a pure IP setup with a mix of analog with IP base system. I see more problems when you mix an analog line with an IP base network. Simply because you have more points that can fail. With a pure IP setup, all you have to deal with is your existing IP infrastructure. But when PSTN comes into play, you will have to deal with the conversion between the two and quite often problems occur at the point of conversion like the gateway, ATA and so forth. It also increase the TCO since you have more to purchase and maintain. And that is why you see a lot of businesses and almost all enterprise is moving away from PSTN and adopt voip for their voice and video communication.

bertarecchia said:
I see that the Grandstream 4104 at compuvest.com is $144 and Amazon $243.20.

I was hoping the above difference in prices would raise some eyebrows but didn't see anyone reply to that.... Is it normal to see such a big difference in price?

Also, I will be using both VoIP and the Comcast line since, from what I understand , using the grandstream they will both work with 3cx. It'll be good to see how both preform.

bertarecchia said:
I was hoping the above difference in prices would raise some eyebrows but didn't see anyone reply to that.... Is it normal to see such a big difference in price?
Nothing surprises me regarding price differences, in almost any product, let alone VoIP devices. It is always worth shopping around. There are suppliers that are outrageously overpriced on some items. Sometimes it is worth paying more. You need to consider the total cost...shipping, customer service and return policy. It may be worth it to you to buy a product locally so that in the event of a problem, you may be able to get a replacement immediately rather than having your phone system down for several weeks. Something to take into consideration.

bertarecchia said:
Also, I will be using both VoIP and the Comcast line since, from what I understand , using the grandstream they will both work with 3cx. It'll be good to see how both preform.

In your case, both Comcast and Magicjack, are VoIP. They happen to come out of a box (ATA) as analogue and you are going to convert both back to VoIP with the gateway.

Thank you all guys!
Life-saving info for a person who has barely time to eat and sleep......

Please tell me leejor you are not going to leave it at they are just VOIP. Like saying a vette and a ugo are both just cars...

In your case, both Comcast and Magicjack, are VoIP. They happen to come out of a box (ATA) as analogue and you are going to convert both back to VoIP with the gateway.[/quote]

mylove4life said:
Please tell me leejor you are not going to leave it at they are just VOIP. Like saying a vette and a ugo are both just cars...

Well, they are....

I wasn't about to get into a discussion about which VoIP was better. We all know (at least I think we all do) that a VoIP service provided by the same company that provides your internet connection, should be superior, as they (the provider) controls QOS all the way through to a connection with the PSTN network or even (perhaps) the called party.

I use Magicjack (along with other VoIP services), and I am well aware that you get what you pay for in both voice quality and customer service.

Many people, now a days are willing to give up some quality, if they feel the savings, or convenience, are worth it.

Just look how popular Mp3's are! :)

We all know (at least I think we all do) that a VoIP service provided by the same company that provides your internet connection, should be superior, as they (the provider) controls QOS all the way through to a connection with the PSTN network or even (perhaps) the called party.

Totally agree. My experience with voip provider is that as long as you have some sort of bandwidth management turn on in your firewall to give voip calls enough guarantee bandwidth and the ping time to the voip provider ip address is less than 150ms (the lesser the better). The quality of the call should be no different or in some cases better (at least on your end when hearing the other party) than PSTN line. Keep in mind that the quality of the call can be very different depending on what kind of phone you use too. Within the same setup, a Polycom IP phone can sound and be heard a whole lot better compare to using a softphone on the PC.

Just look how popular Mp3's are

I know, and i dont understand why people are spending hundreds of dollars on their headphones when all they are listening to is a heavily compressed music file. Doesnt make much sense to me.

My experience with providers has not been to good at all, I have had 3 and 6 other places I know have had at least 2. They are just not as reliable as the PTSN line from Comcast.

mylove4life said:
My experience with providers has not been to good at all, I have had 3 and 6 other places I know have had at least 2. They are just not as reliable as the PTSN line from Comcast.

Lets not argue what is better or not. Both have their pros and cons. And lets get back to your primary question. I am sure you already know the free version vs the paid version. If not, you can read the features compare on 3cx website. Since you are most comfortable with PSTN, the only hardware you need to purchase is one of those FXO gateway. There are many to choice from but I will stay with what 3CX supported. Here is a list of device 3cx support right out of the box.

Attachments

• 3cx2.jpg
    3cx2.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 1
I just realized why the prices are different
1- Grandstream IP Analog Gateway With 4-Ports GXW4004 -$144
2- Grandstream Gxw FXO IP Analog Gateway With 4-Ports GXW4104 -$287

both IP analog, both 4 ports... no description on the site to compare.

The 4104 is a gateway (FXO ports/PSTN lines), the 4004 is a multi port ATA (FXS ports/analogue telephones). I think you'll want the 4104. Gateways are almost always more expensive.

Glad I asked :)

at that price you can save a good 50 bucks off Ebay or some other sites.

Look at Ebay item 200728477267

I'm finally setting up my grandstream.
I have an issue, hopefully you guys can help me without opening a new thread. I couldn't find any thread matching my strings.
I can receive calls just fine but when I dial out :

-It rings fine ( at least is the "two short ring, pause, two short rings.." )
-after a few rings the soft phone says "connected" but it actually my cell phone, which is the # I called, never rang or shows any missed calls.
-when i make the call, the management console > Extension status of extension 101 changes to "Dialing", then "connected"
-the debug just says "video call not allowed". No errors

Could it be that comcast is faking the call or blocking it?

Suggestions?
EDIT:
I found more logs about calls. Please note i put xxxxxx for privacy.
I noticed that, e.g. at line 5 the first 3 digits have changed from 786 to 86. Is it ok?

23:01:56.905 [CM503008]: Call(34): Call is terminated
23:01:45.765 [CM503007]: Call(34): Device joined: sip:[email protected]:5060;transport=udp
23:01:45.761 [CM503007]: Call(34): Device joined: sip:[email protected]:50480;rinstance=e1430279e7cbd69a
23:01:45.743 [CM505002]: Gateway:[Grandstream_GXW4104] Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [Grandstream GXW4104 (HW 2.0, Ch:8) 1.3.4.10] PBX contact: [sip:[email protected]:5060]
23:01:45.742 [CM503002]: Call(34): Alerting sip:[email protected]:5060;transport=udp
23:01:41.745 Currently active calls - 1: [34]
23:01:27.040 [CM503025]: Call(34): Calling PSTNline:86xxxxxxx@(Ln.10000@Grandstream_GXW4104)@[Dev:sip:[email protected]:5060;transport=udp]
23:01:27.010 [CM503004]: Call(34): Route 1: PSTNline:86xxxxxxx@(Ln.10000@Grandstream_GXW4104)@[Dev:sip:[email protected]:5060;transport=udp,Dev:sip:[email protected]:5062;transport=udp,Dev:sip:[email protected]:5064;transport=udp,Dev:sip:[email protected]:5066;transport=udp]
23:01:27.005 [CM503010]: Making route(s) to <sip:[email protected]:5060>
23:01:27.002 [CM505001]: Ext.101: Device info: Device Not Identified: User Agent not matched; Capabilities:[reinvite, replaces, able-no-sdp, recvonly] UserAgent: [3CXPhone 6.0.20943.0] PBX contact: [sip:[email protected]:5060]
23:01:26.995 [CM503001]: Call(34): Incoming call from Ext.101 to <sip:[email protected]:5060>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.