- Joined
- Jan 22, 2020
- Messages
- 8
- Reaction score
- 0
I just finished bricking 5x Yealink SIP-T54W's by installing the 96.86.0.20 update from either 96.85.0.5 or 96.86.0.5. 4x of them bricked after pushing the firmware via 3CX, and then one of them after using the phone's admin UI directly with the ROM downloaded from 3CX. I had 6x others that successfully updated. That's a 45% failure rate, in case anyone was counting.
The phones hang on "Welcome, Initializing.. Please wait". When I attempt to enter recovery mode by holding down the speakerphone button while power is applied, I'm unexpectedly greeted with a new menu that says "Whether to enter the recovery mode and run the backup system? 1) Yes 2) No". Pressing [1] just results in a hung black screen or a hung "Welcome" screen, whereas [2] doesn't do anything and locks the phone up afterwards.
This is different than previous firmware releases, where holding down the speakerphone button would prompt with two options, "1) TFTP 2) USB". Either option would allow you to load the recovery files (bin/rom/rfs). I'm unable to get to this point on these phones now after this failed firmware update.
I have a case open with Yealink and am waiting on their response.
Just thought I'd share, and maybe 3CX should consider retracting the firmware for T54W's.
As a side note, the same firmware image is also used on T53W's. I've had two phones fail to update - they get stuck in a firmware update loop where they hang at 93% while "downloading", and after rebooting the phone each time, 3CX re-triggers the same firmware update which then keeps hanging at 93%. However, I was able to enter recovery mode and restore those without any issue.
The phones hang on "Welcome, Initializing.. Please wait". When I attempt to enter recovery mode by holding down the speakerphone button while power is applied, I'm unexpectedly greeted with a new menu that says "Whether to enter the recovery mode and run the backup system? 1) Yes 2) No". Pressing [1] just results in a hung black screen or a hung "Welcome" screen, whereas [2] doesn't do anything and locks the phone up afterwards.
This is different than previous firmware releases, where holding down the speakerphone button would prompt with two options, "1) TFTP 2) USB". Either option would allow you to load the recovery files (bin/rom/rfs). I'm unable to get to this point on these phones now after this failed firmware update.
I have a case open with Yealink and am waiting on their response.
Just thought I'd share, and maybe 3CX should consider retracting the firmware for T54W's.
As a side note, the same firmware image is also used on T53W's. I've had two phones fail to update - they get stuck in a firmware update loop where they hang at 93% while "downloading", and after rebooting the phone each time, 3CX re-triggers the same firmware update which then keeps hanging at 93%. However, I was able to enter recovery mode and restore those without any issue.
