• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

deskphone provisioning DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusfr02

Free User
Joined
Sep 9, 2021
Messages
8
Reaction score
2
Hi guys,

Im on a professional annual 18.0.1880 version, on the free year, deployed on a raspberry pi.

Provisioning for IOS and Windows PC are working great, but I would like to try to use a deskphone too.

I can have access to Cisco 7960 or Avaya J169, and I take a look on 3CX guide for those 2 models.


My PBX is deployed at home, and actually my TP-LINK AX3000 is doing the DHCP, but dont have feature to setup option 66 or 242.


What can I do ? Do I need to add DHCP on my raspberry pi to configure those DHCP options ?


Thanks so much !

Fred
 
Hi Fred,

DO NOT put DHCP on your Pi, it will bring your entire home network down to put it mildly :)

In addition, you cannot have a Pi act as a 3CX machine, and as a DHCP server, this will cause further problems.


A possible solution (which I would not really recommend) is to disable your TP LINK DHCP server, and setup another DHCP server on your network which does support options. This is not a clean solution and not worth it for those older models..

Those are Legacy/EOL phones so you probably won't find other methods to provision them.
Get something from our supported phones page which will not have such requirements:
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Hi Fred,

DO NOT put DHCP on your Pi, it will bring your entire home network down to put it mildly :)

In addition, you cannot have a Pi act as a 3CX machine, and as a DHCP server, this will cause further problems.


A possible solution (which I would not really recommend) is to disable your TP LINK DHCP server, and setup another DHCP server on your network which does support options. This is not a clean solution and not worth it for those older models..

Those are Legacy/EOL phones so you probably won't find other methods to provision them.
Get something from our supported phones page which will not have such requirements:
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/
Thanks for your great answer.

Ok, I can see that Fanvil, Snom and Yealink models are easier for provisioning, with the plug and play on local lan.

If I can ask, I dont know those companies, but can you tell me which one could be a good pick for a basic functionality vs price ?

Really appreciated, you saved me a lot of trouble !

Fred
 
Having worked with all those brands I would say either one should serve you well.

Other forum members may also share their experiences too!

From the Yealink or Fanvil series I would recommend getting something from the models ending with a U (ie. Fanvil X3U or Yealink T43U) as these are more recent and should still receive updates for a while from the manufacturers. From Snom anything from D3xx and above should also keep you happy!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,149
Messages
590,965
Members
165,171
Latest member
Mahlon