FXS using STUN.

CageCube

Silver Partner
Basic Certified
Joined
Nov 11, 2016
Messages
8
Reaction score
1
Need to have the Grandstream HT801 and HT802 work outside the network.
 
Upvote 1
Our HT802 works outside the network, just setup the ports properly, and use the external ip of the PBX when provisioning.
 
There used to be a number of single, and two line ATAs that were officially supported by 3CX. Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. Most of these devices can, however, be managed manually using a GUI and basic SIP knowledge.
 
Our HT802 works outside the network, just setup the ports properly, and use the external ip of the PBX when provisioning.

BrenttG
Can you please share the configuration you are using for the HT801 / HT802?
 
Can you share the ht config. I have the ATA registered and can receive inbound calls to the analog device connected to it. But it won't place outbound calls. I see 3cx get the call, but just multiple SDP messages with no call out to the SIP trunk. The To and From look okay. Thanks.
 
Does the Activity Logs show an error message for the call attempt? It should show why it is failing. Are the correct digits being sent to match an outbound rule?
 
Does the Activity Logs show an error message for the call attempt? It should show why it is failing. Are the correct digits being sent to match an outbound rule?
Do not see the attempt in the activity log. But I see it in the pcap file. Odd one. Cause inbound calls to that phone works. Odd I cannot dial internal from the analog phone either. Yet the HT802 is registered and appears fine.
 
The ATA may have an internal dialplan (been a while since I've use a Grandstream ATA), so digit may be modified before being sent, but, you should see an Invite (log) if it is being sent to the correct destination, and not being blocked by a firewall, or port issue. Do you have other devices used outside the local LAN, hat do work correctly?
Are you using the Public IP of the 3CX server, or the FQDN , in the ATA settings? If it is the FQDN, try using the IP. The fact that it is registering, and able to receive calls, would seen to indicate an outbound (dialling issue) with the ATA.
Post the configuration page of the Grandstream, just X out the server IP/FQDN
 
From ATA it is an FQDN. It gets to 3cx. I see a from: ext@fqdn and a to: ten-digit-phone@fqdn. I have other phones outside the lan that work fine. Just this Grandstream having outbound issue. Odd cause inbound works. What settings did you need to see off the ata? The config download does an odd text file. Thanks for help.
 
I see a from: ext@fqdn and a to: ten-digit-phone@fqdn.
I assume you see this in the Activity Log...so... then what happens in the log? Is there an error, does it say why the call cannot complete?
 
I wanted to reply with the final resolution to help others that might run into same issue when using a Grandstream HT802 ATA running 1.0.10.6 firmware. The reason no outbound calls were going out was due to an MTU size over 1500. The Grandstream comes default sending a bunch of codecs on outbound calls. Fix, Reduce the amount of codecs sent. G711 and G729 is what I went with. This lowers the MTU size and the phone on the ATA works perfect, including fax if needed. This is in the FXS Ports tab in the Grandstream web gui. It does not let you remove the codecs, but just double or triple them up in the dropdowns Choice 1 thru Choice 8. Make half PMCU and half G729, etc. Working great now. Thanks for the other responses. Due to the MTU size being over I did not see anything in Activity log. I had to find it in the pcap trace within 3cx. Great trace tool built into 3cx allowing this which is nice for troubleshooting. Issue resolved. Reach out if any questions about the setup. Thanks.
 
You are a superstar!. I've been trying to understand/fix this problem for weeks and now you've provided the solution. Thank you very much. My end user had been using a Cisco SPA112 (on a different service) and, when we switched them to a Grandstream HT801, they could no longer make outbound calls. Please could you share with me the clue that you saw in the pcap file that made you realise this was a MTU/codec issue.
 
Filtering on the HT device IP only you will see the invite coming from the HT device in wireshark. Then it was showing a fragmented packet of 1514 length. Comparing other devices and calls nothing was above 1500. I also had Grandstream take a look and they said the same with the fragemented packet and 1514 size. Then to adjust how many codecs to reduce that size.
 
Can you share the ht config. I have the ATA registered and can receive inbound calls to the analog device connected to it. But it won't place outbound calls. I see 3cx get the call, but just multiple SDP messages with no call out to the SIP trunk. The To and From look okay. Thanks.

OK. I know this issue was resolved, but I thought I'd post this tip in case it helps anyone.

I was able to get the config file for my Ht802, by using SSH to log in to the command line console of the host running my 3cx server, and then use "curl" to fetch the file from the localhost, and save it to the server's file system, followed by transferring the file to my local file system, and finally using the ATA's web interface to upload the configuration file to the ATA.

For example, running this on the 3cx server at a shell prompt

curl localhost:5000/provisioning/yiiabcdef/cfg000B82ABBCC.xml > ht802.xml

Dynamically creates the config file and saves it on the server's file system.

Then use sftp to copy the ht802.xml file to your local machine, look over the file and make any edits that you feel ar needed (I don't think there were any... but I'm not sure).

Then use the ATA's web interface to upload the ht802.xml file as the new configuration.

IT WORKED!


If these tips help you and work for you, then great.
If you're having a hard time with them, then you probably need to try another method (seriously).

I don't think curl is installed by default, and sftp isn't configured to work by default, so depending on your level of experience, this may work seamlessly for you, or it may be something that you should just skip.
If you are comfortable with using these tools, then go for it. If they don't work, or you need help copying the file off of the server, etc... then you should probably not try this approach, because it's not necessarily a "turn key" example.

Anyway, I hope it helps someone. It certainly helped me. Cheers! :)

-Phil
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
112,148
Messages
590,962
Members
165,168
Latest member
Stephan Eusebe