• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

IP Phones are registering to 3CX on Lightsail with Class C, Internal IP 192.168.x.x

rockfortglobal

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
We are facing this intermittant issue that the IP phones register to our 3CX systems hosted on lightsaail with an internal IP.
192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x.
However some phones can register propertly with the public IP.

1675477105848.png

The ones with Public IP we can provision remotely and also send firmware upgrades, but ones with local IP we cannot
please help if you have seen / resolved this

Do you have any SIP ALG or similar features enabled on that location firewall?

Using an SBC will eliminate a lot of potential issues with STUN.

Do you have any SIP ALG or similar features enabled on that location firewall?

Using an SBC will eliminate a lot of potential issues with STUN.
Thanks Steve
No issues with the SIP ALG, because from the same premises, 1 phone registers as public ip and one phone as provate ip.
Will try to use an SBC
Regards

SIP ALG still relevant as all phones on premises are passing through that router. Given that it's purpose is to rewrite your packets by altering the IP address in them... it sounds closely related to your problem. It's not uncommon to find the first phone or two works fine but the remaining ones don't.

+1 for SBC - I wouldn't consider proper install without one. 99% of VOIP is networking and an SBC tends to make your networking problems disappear, not to mention simplifying configuring your phones.

Friends don't let friends use STUN ;).

For cloud hosted instances, consider installing a 3CX SBC at the phones location.

STUN brings too many challenges that the SBC can overcome, and those issues are often not worth the time you will spend troubleshooting them only to discover down the line that they came back.

Also for T46/48G models, take a look at the new firmware we released!

Thanks for the response
will deploy an sbc
I do note though that if the correct firmware is loaded and the phone provisions then the IP seems to be correct.

Reactions: Nathan@Voxtelesys
I do note though that if the correct firmware is loaded and the phone provisions then the IP seems to be correct.

STUN can be made to work but for locations with deployments > 1 endpoint... I find you will almost always run into problems, even if it takes a few months to manifest.

Unfortunately, Ras Pi's are still hard to come by for a sensible price. However, it's worth noting that from the latest update 3CX supports using certain Yealink / Fanvil phones as an SBC for small deployments (they say max 10 but I've seen it hinted that more may be possible) - https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/sbc-router-phone/

Cheap used dell mini tower PC's are better value than the PI's now. The windows footprint for the SBC is very small so it can be run on many workstations to provide redundancy

Cheap used dell mini tower PC's are better value than the PI's now. The windows footprint for the SBC is very small so it can be run on many workstations to provide redundancy

Personally, I wouldn't run anything else on an SBC than the SBC and I wouldn't use anything except a 3CX Debian ISO. That way you're not having to troubleshoot anything other than the SBC (i.e. the OS) or worrying about sleep states, Windows updates / associated reboots and you can easily run it headless.

Used Dells may be cheaper to buy than a New Pi but they will consume considerably more power over their lifetime which, given the current cost of electricity, will probably more than make up the price difference.

I use that type of Dell system (or equivalent), but out of necessity rather than value.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.