• We do not provide troubleshooting help for unsupported phones. Please try with a supported phone.
  • V20 Update 10 Alpha 2 Learn more

Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

qbitnetworking

Bronze Partner
Joined
Nov 28, 2020
Messages
138
Reaction score
30
Hi everyone, so I just got my first install up and running and everything seems to be working fine besides the Paging function. I set a Virtual extension for paging all of the phones in the office so users can let each other know when there is a call for someone. The problem is when they pick up their handset and dial the extension, it makes a beeping noise on everyone’s phones (so the user doing the paging assumes it’s time to talk and maybe starts talking too soon), then the user hears it ring for two tones followed by another beep and finally the user can talk. Not only this, but if one of the users has the app on their smartphone, it will ring that too!

Has anyone else seen this behavior? My users are coming over to 3CX from a pretty antiquated analog system but at least they were able to instantly page each other without a nearly 4 second delay each time. I’m hoping I just have it configured wrong because this is not going to work.
 
Last edited:
How is the paging configured? Ring group paging or multicast?

The beep tone is normal, that's the intercom/paging tone on every phones. It shouldn't play more than once tho.
 
Hi Frederick, I have it set up with Ring Group Paging. Do your users experience the ringing for two tones before they're able to start talking?
 
Hi Frederick, I have it set up with Ring Group Paging. Do your users experience the ringing for two tones before they're able to start talking?
How are the phones connected to the PBX and where is the PBX hosted?

Also, what are the phones models?
 
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 4b SBC and the PBX is hosted on AWS (Ohio). The phones are Granstream 2612P.
 
Hmm, that could be related to the recent changes they made to those templates.

Try this:
1. Create a custom template (copy the original) for the GRPs. Assign that to one phone, then reprovision.
2. Edit your custom template to change the line for the Intercom Tone (use Ctrl+F to find.)
3. Save and reprovision the phone again.

See if you get one tone instead of two.
 
Okay I'll attempt that. Would the template have anything to do with the user that is doing the paging hearing it ring for a couple tones (and then the second beep) before being able to speak? Also is it supposed to ring the mobile apps as well? I have the mobile app on my iPhone for testing and it is part of the paging group. Every time someone pages, my iPhone rings. That seems kind of silly.
 
Okay so, paging will ring your mobile but never auto-answer on mobile (since the apps just can't do that.) The tone heard from the page sender could simply be echo back into the phones.

I'd recommend removing your iPhone from the paging group or use a deskphone instead to test.
 
So I guess the only solution is to create additional extensions for the mobile app users. If I want their desk phone to auto-answer a page but for it not to ring their app on their cell phone, they will have to have two different extensions.
 
Also the tone is definitely a ring tone like as if the user were calling someone and waiting for it to pick up. If I remember correctly, they dial the extension, all of the other phones beep, they hear a ring tone twice, then it beeps again and finally they can talk. This whole process takes at least 4 seconds. It's very strange.
 
So I guess the only solution is to create additional extensions for the mobile app users. If I want their desk phone to auto-answer a page but for it not to ring their app on their cell phone, they will have to have two different extensions.
No, you can use statuses. "Accept Push Notifications" will enable/disable the ringing of the mobile app.
 
Also the tone is definitely a ring tone like as if the user were calling someone and waiting for it to pick up. If I remember correctly, they dial the extension, all of the other phones beep, they hear a ring tone twice, then it beeps again and finally they can talk. This whole process takes at least 4 seconds. It's very strange.
Could indeed be due to the mobile app since the call type is not the same.
 
No, you can use statuses. "Accept Push Notifications" will enable/disable the ringing of the mobile app.
But then they won't be able to receive normal calls? I don't think it makes much sense to disable all push notifications just to prevent it from ringing when a page is coming in.
 
But then they won't be able to receive normal calls? I don't think it makes much sense to disable all push notifications just to prevent it from ringing when a page is coming in.
Yeah well, in that case, you'll want 2 extensions, even if it's kinda useless.

And actually, since they have deskphones, they probably don't use the mobile app that much when they're at their desk.
 
Yeah well, in that case, you'll want 2 extensions, even if it's kinda useless.

And actually, since they have deskphones, they probably don't use the mobile app that much when they're at their desk.
The problem isn't when they're at their desk, it's when they step out of the office. I would assume the mobile app is designed for users to be reached by their extension number when they're away from their desk. If a sales person is on the road, he shouldn't be confusing a call from a coworker with a simple Page. The mobile app should not be designed to ring when users are paging.
 
Yeah, well it does unfortunately. I have to agree that it's kinda stupid tho
 
May I offer an alternative here?

Sure you can page the existing deskphones to notify everyone in the office, but that has the "side-effect" that it will also ring the Mobile Clients and that is unavoidable, unless of course the Mobile Clients are separate extensions.

You could consider placing a couple of SIP Speakers in the office that would be an extension on their own, so you would no longer do paging to the existing deskphones, but rather the the SIP PA system/Speakers.

If you already have an analog PA system, you could hook it up to something like the snom PA1 or Fanvil PA2, or if you don't have an analog speaker system in place, you could use something like the Grandstream GSC3505 speakers. They are quite loud, and if you need more than 1, each would have its own extension and you would place just those in the Ring Group.

Yes, extra cost, but I think this would solve your problem.
 
May I offer an alternative here?

Sure you can page the existing deskphones to notify everyone in the office, but that has the "side-effect" that it will also ring the Mobile Clients and that is unavoidable, unless of course the Mobile Clients are separate extensions.

You could consider placing a couple of SIP Speakers in the office that would be an extension on their own, so you would no longer do paging to the existing deskphones, but rather the the SIP PA system/Speakers.

If you already have an analog PA system, you could hook it up to something like the snom PA1 or Fanvil PA2, or if you don't have an analog speaker system in place, you could use something like the Grandstream GSC3505 speakers. They are quite loud, and if you need more than 1, each would have its own extension and you would place just those in the Ring Group.

Yes, extra cost, but I think this would solve your problem.
That would certainly fix this. I'll have to run that by them. I'm using the Snom PA1 right now for a horn in the warehouse and that connects to their PA system. It's unfortunate that the PA1 only has one output on it though. It'd be nice to have one extension for the office area and one for the warehouse.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NickD_3CX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
112,147
Messages
590,961
Members
165,167
Latest member
Finatra.us