X3SG how to factory Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWS2P

Silver Partner
Basic Certified
Joined
Jan 9, 2014
Messages
5,077
Reaction score
1,096
Hi,
on a location behind a SBC a Fanvil X3SG phone is no more able to connect to pbx, on phone display I get only a progress bar staying there for ever.
As the phone is no more seen on pbx side, no way to catch it with its GUI, so I tried to factory reset it but with no success until now .
I tried to restart phone with # key pressed hoping for a never coming mode to engage second set of key like * # 1 6 8 to factory reset the phone.

What is the real key sequence to proceed a successful factory reset, I have got same problem on X4U model with same problem to do a factory reset.
Is it me doing wrong or key process for these models is no more reacting like explained everywhere on 3CX docs, and lots of tutorials.
 
Last edited:
Hmm if it is stuck on the progress bar during boot, I think there might be something wrong with the device.

Even when the provisioning is wrong, you should at least be able to load up to the main idle screen.

Try continuously tapping (instead of holding) the # while you start up the phone and see if this gets you to the POST MODE menu.

If not, check to see whether this is a power supply issue, maybe the phone is not getting the correct power and it crashes during boot? If you can plug it into an independent power adapter, and disconnect the LAN cable, does it work?

Finally, check that there is no Option 66 on the network that may sending the phone something during startup which could be causing it to wait forever.
 
I'm going on customer location, phone is POE, I have no power adapter, and for sure there is no existing Option 66.

Phone is in that state since latest try of firmware update .

I will go with a brand new phone and see if it goes smooth.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Ah ok, if this happened during a firmware update then it may indeed be a hardware issue.

If you told the customer to press #, maybe there were not sure how to do it correctly. Try it yourself to be sure. Those phones also have a recovery mode that allows you to reflash even if something goes wrong, so the chances are good that you can revive it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Evolute IT
Those phones also have a recovery mode that allows you to reflash even if something goes wrong
is there a 3CX doc to follow for this ?
 
Nope, look at Fanvil's guides for recovery. I was just letting you know that it is possible from personal experience.
 
I'm now on location and tried to reset existing phone with no sucess.
I did change the phone with a new one same model, after first start 3CX displayed in red firmware 2.2.12 was no more supported so I applied upgrade to latest from console and this goes to failure and infinite reboot .
So something seems wrong in the new firmware
 
You are supposed to manually install the latest firmware before provisioning. We always assume the PBX will upgrade the phone from the last supported firmware (not from older or newer - because this scenario is never tested).

By the way, is it X3SG or X3SG Pro / Lite? (just to confirm)
 
Last edited:
Do you mean I need to check 3CX FW release and apply for each brand and model before I use a phone on PBX ?
Never did this until now.
phones are X3SG they were delivered with 2.2.12 FW

first phone was used by customer since months, so it took firmware update from 3CX

video Phone stuck on this display

New phone broken by firmware update at 59%
 
Last edited:
Yes, as per our guide we recommend to first upgrade firmware before you do anything else (if this is a new phone) and then finally reset it.
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/fanvil-x3-x5/

This is done before the initial provisioning. It's more of a precautionary method to make sure that the phone is already on the correct firmware the first time, and that there are no old settings remaining in memory from a previous firmware.

The goal is to prevent bricking your phones in case the boot up with a new firmware, but had old settings / variables stored in memory that are no longer compatible with the new firmware. It's a rare event, and I imagine most manufacturers have mechanisms in place to avoid such scenarios with modern phones, but it's still a good practice to follow for better reliability. We also do the same thing here when we install new phones for testing, and the factory firmware is too old, or an early engineering sample device.

Version 2.2.12 is about 5 versions behind if I'm not mistaken. It's not necessarily a problem, but you never know for certain. Normally if you upgrade via the UI the phone should reject this firmware in case it's too new. You will then be forced to install the in-between versions and upgrade step by step to the latest version. If you update via the automated way (via 3CX or a TFTP server) the phone should again make this check and reject incompatible firmware, but I don't know if in your case something was skipped / went wrong.

I would strongly recommend to contact Fanvil and explain what happened. Tell them the model, MAC and versions involved so they can investigate. They should be able to help you find out why this happened, and recover the phones. In the worst case, you might get replacements in case it was a hardware issue.

Please let us know too when you find out more information. Your devices might be a new HW revision and could have an issue we are not aware of.
 
To resume, first phone which was in production is completely out of service and nothing react to bring it back to life.
second one I get into post mode by pressing # many time times and from web I pushed 2.4.12 release without any problem,.
So tomorrow I bring it back once again to customer location and first one goes back to seller for warranty replacement
 
OK that is interesting the file was accepted this way when it's forced.

As a last check, download the firmware file from the PBX, and also download it from our website.

Try running an MD5 compare on both files just to ensure that the file stored on the PBX was not broken/corrupted/unfinished.
 
I will MD5 the files , the release 2.4.12 pushed on phone this afternoon is coming from 3CX website DL firmware section.
 
Hi John , can you let me know the path where to find the file to MD5 on a cloud Debian PBX ?
 
After MD5 comparison (md5 value = d7003a703c5705acbca7ec3e2d6301d0) , result seems the same in between file coming from 3CX firmware DL page and from concerned PBX path.
 
Ok this is a good sign that at least the file was solid. Can you tell me please, was the PBX hosted in Google?
 
Nope, its bro, AWS lightsail:)
 
I am afraid I do not have any other ideas as to why this happened, perhaps Fanvil will be able to help you further.

The only thing I noticed is on some occasions the phone has trouble downloading the file from a cloud PBX, and the upgrade percentage bar starts back from zero and tries again a few times. I cannot say what caused it on those occasions.
 
I don't know if it could be related but we have 2 X4 that refuse to upgrade firmware. The PBX sends the NOTIFY and the phone reboot, but they never download the firmware even though it is downloaded on the system.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
112,156
Messages
591,013
Members
165,188
Latest member
Teemal