Fanvil H3 Firmware Upgrade Fails through 3CX

P4ul

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Joined
Mar 16, 2022
Messages
15
Reaction score
5
Good Morning All,

Got large amount (~100) Fanvil H3's running through 3CX V20 on an SBC. Everything is working as expected except there is a firmware upgrade shown on the dashboard. 2.14.0.7386 - 2.14.0.7387.

Pressing upgrade through 3CX seems to reboot the phone but not do anything else. HTTPS is open to the FQDN and if I look at the config on the 'Phones' menu, the firmware file is correct, and I can download it from the same network. (https://fqdn/provisioning/ProvURL/firmware/fanvil/h3_2.14.0.7387.z)

I have a few X4U-V2 and X7-V2 on the same network that successfully upgraded their firmware through the 3CX Upgrade button.

3CX Logs don't seem to show anything even in Verbose mode, so I setup syslog on the phone itself. The only entries I believe are relavent were:

[MGR] | INFO | vcore.curl.service:curlClientPerform: complete !
[MGR] | ALERT | curl download Result=60;

Then the phone reboots into the old firmware.

Curl Result=60 appears to be related to SSL issues, I am using a 3cx.uk domain that resolves correctly to the public IP without issue.

Anyone able to offer any pointers? I know I can manually upgrade all 100 phones but would rather avoid it!

Thanks in advance, Paul.
 
Hi Paul,

Your conclusion is correct, but you are about 3 years out of date and out of luck: this firmware was released back in 2021, and included new root certificates for SSL.

This means they can no longer re-provision if you make any changes, and that also includes firmware upgrades.

The newer -V2 phones already included the root CA so they would not have had a problem, just like you noticed.

The only solution you have now is to manually upgrade all the H3 phones or contact Fanvil to see if they can offer a different solution to this problem, for example you might potentially feed the firmware with a local http server and DHCP Option 66.
 
John,

Thanks, I forgot about the root cert issue. The H3 doesn't have a V2 yet as far as I am aware, and these are a common phone for Hotel deployments. These have only recently been purchased, and it's a fresh deployment.

I've not encountered this before as the previous H3's I have deployed, even on V20 are using Local IP for provisioning (HTTP) rather HTTPS/SBC.

I'll try and find a way around the firmware issue without the manual upgrade for now.

Thanks for the insight!
 
  • Like
Reactions: JohnS_3CX
I would like to know if you have considered methods other than deployment through 3CX. For example, DHCP option 66, or Fanvil's FDMCS system?