• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

sipgate.co.uk registration timeout (constant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kev,

I haven't progressed on that question yet, but I suspect it may have been resolved by forcing a re-register in the 3CX Line settings page after re-enabling the RTP rule.

I guess like many, I'm rushing on to the next problem to solve once something starts working!

New challenge: Getting the 3CX softphone to accept incoming calls. I think this is another firewall issue.

Scenario:
I have several staff who are peripatetic (move around th country).
I want to allow SIP to SIP calls between them and our head office.
Sometimes they will be at Head Office.

My solution:
So, I have approached this by creating a new extension on my 3CX.
I also create an external SIP account, in this case using Sipgate si I'm using the same provider as for my 3CX sip account.
For the 3CX extension, set up call forwarding with the outgoing dial rule set to use our 3CX SIP account (simply a * prefix to the number), directed at the new Sip account.

Testing and results:
Using 3CX softphone, I can login to the new Sip account. (OK)
From that account, I can call in to our 3CX server, SIP-to-SIP. (OK)
From my desk extension, I dial the internal extension that will forward on to the new SIP acount. (Sort of)

This last step is where our firewall is yet again blocking traffic.

Firewall log when trying to place call:
1 10/09/2007 12:13:35.432 Debug VOIP VoIP 62.232.57.107:24865 (SIP) [email protected]:5060 Endpoint added
2 10/09/2007 12:13:35.256 Debug VOIP SIP Response 217.10.79.23, 5060, X1 10.0.0.22, 5060, X0 SIP INVITE (407 Proxy Authentication Required) ([email protected] to [email protected]:5060

On the handset, I get a 408 error returned, which on Sipgate's support pages, is listed as "login failed". http://www.sipgate.co.uk/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=323&qw=408
(A call out from our 3CX SIPgate account to a mobile phone works correctly, so I'm guessing the login is referring to the target account).

So my next step will need to test this on a laptop that is not behind our HQ firewall and see if the problem still arrises. It may be the software firewall is also having an effect.

Should hopefully be able to do this later today, but if you've any ideas, feel free to suggest!

Kind regards,

Al

Hi Al

Just a quick thought as I am about to go into a meeting, if the users connect to the head office via VPN on their laptops then you won't have an issue with the firewall as they will appear on the LAN.

Kev

Hi Kev,

I had wondered about this. I've got a Hamachi VPN for the few users that require file access, but this doesn't operate in the same manner as a more traditional VPN system - primarily, it assigns a second IP range on a virtual NIC.

Because of this, the soft phone isn't able to connect properly. I did manage to get it to register, but it wouldn't make any calls.

(Our hardware firewall theoretically supports it's own more traditional VPN, where the internal LAN IP would be passed through a tunnel to the client PC, but I have had real headaches getting that working - again a matter of time pressure and being pulled in too many directions at once!)

My current thinking is to use the quick-switch capability of the softphone to allow the user to use their internal extension when at HQ, and change to using the SipGate profile when out.

Because their registration will drop when the softphone closes or changes, I should be able to use the "Destination unreachable/forwarding" controls to automatically route calls accordingly.

Will post results after testing!

Al

Hi Kev (and anyone else following this lengthy thread!)

I have now resolved the external extension connections. It was the firewall. I spent some time on the SonicWALL forums and found loads of people mentioning the same problems.

Anyway, I double-checked my NAT policies and found that the Public Server wizard had created two policies, which while not mutually exclusive, one only had part of the service/ports required for our configuration.

So, I initially disabled that rule and retested - I was then able to get the external softphone to register.

I have been able to make inter-extension calls, calls to voicemail and calls out through the office PSTN gateway - all from my home office, and all without need of a VPN connection.

I deleted the spurious NAT policy once I was happy I didn't need it and rebooted the firewall - some SonicWALL posts indicated this was advisable - and I now have fully operational connections.

The only wrinkle has been that the registration can sometimes drop, or take a while to connect. I do still see UDP 5060 packets being dropped in the firewall log, but calls seem to work ok despite this.

Anyway, I'll keep testing for a while and involve a few extra users to increase the loading and see what happens.

Kind regards,

Alec

Hi Al

Sounds like a result to me !!

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murad88
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.