Collecting Logs for 3CX Support
When troubleshooting an issue, the 3CX Support Team may ask you to generate the support files. These files contain information about the environment 3CX Phone System is operating in, and other information which would help 3CX Support troubleshoot further.
The following procedure explains how to generate the support files the 3CX Support Team requires to troubleshoot issues.
- From the 3CX Phone System Management Console → “Dashboard” → “Activity Log” → “Settings” button, ensure that the Logging Level is configured to Verbose and that “Keep backup of log files” is enabled.
- In the 3CX Management Console “Services”, restart the 3CX Configuration Server service (3CX PhoneSystem 01 Configuration Server). This will trigger the services to restart. Wait for 5 minutes to ensure that all the services have been restarted and that the processes initialize correctly.
Important Notes: Restarting the services will clear out any existing logs!
During this time, any active calls will be dropped.
- 3CX Support may also ask you to reproduce the problem while capturing network traffic using the built in Packet Capture utility. This should be done before generating the support files so that the network capture can be correlated with the 3CX Phone System log files. Check this article for more information on how to capture network traffic.
- Reproduce the issue, noting the following were applicable:
- Called number.
- Calling number.
- Extension numbers.
- Any other entities, internal or external involved in replicating the issue.
- The exact time the issue was replicated. You need to get this from the clock on the server running 3CX Phone System.
- The route taken by the call.
- Any other information you think could be relevant.
- Log in to the 3CX Management Console.
- From the top menu bar of the 3CX Management Console, select “Support” > “Generate Support Info”
- You will be notified via Pop up that the Generation of support info has started and that an email will be sent to the admin when the generation of the support info file is complete. You may press “OK” and continue from this point on.
- An email with the support information download link will be dispatched to the system administrator email address containing the support info download link . Download the support info file from the download link.
Important Note: The support file can only be downloaded once and is then automatically removed by the system. Do not provide us with the download link that you received in the support generation email. Download the file, save it in a safe location and proceed to the next step.
- Update the support ticket with any relevant information collected while reproducing the issue.
- Attach the support ZIP file that you have downloaded (and any other relevant files such as the network capture file) to the ticket.
- Finally, make sure you disable the “Keep backup of log files” option, and set the Logging Level back to its original setting.