Installing 3CX Phone System on a Hyper-V VM
When running Microsoft Hyper-V, it is important to have the following settings configured on the 3CX Virtual Machine (VM) for optimal performance.
On this topic
Configuring a static MAC address
It is very important for licensing that the MAC address of the hosted VM is a constant value, besides its internal IP address. To set the MAC address of the 3CX VM running in Hyper-V perform as static:
- Open a Command Prompt on the 3CX virtual machine.
- Click “Start” > Type “cmd” > Press “Enter”.
- Perform an ipconfig.
- Type “ipconfig /all” and press the “Enter” key.
- Note down the value in the “Physical Address” field, marked in this example as xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx. You will need to enter this value in the Hyper-V Manager for the 3CX VM in Step 10.
- Start Hyper-V Manager.
- Right Click “Start” > Click “Control Panel” > Double Click “Administrative Tools” > Click “Hyper-V Manager”.
- In the “Virtual Machines” section, choose the 3CX VM to configure, right click on it and choose “Settings”
- In the “Settings for <VM_name>” window, select the “Network Adapter” (in the left pane).
- In the “MAC Address” field, choose the “Static” option.
- Populate the “MAC Address” fields with the corresponding “Physical Address” value you got in the command prompt in step 4. Please do enter the MAC address of the 3CX VM, in the area marked by XX .
- Click “Apply / OK”.
Broadcom NetXtreme 1-Gigabit
If the HyperV server uses the above defined network adapter(s), the driver must be updated to the latest version and/or VMq needs to be disabled for those. More information can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2986895
Windows on Hyper-V
Installation of integrated services
- Open your Virtual machine.
- Open Hyper-V Manager, right click on the 3CX VM and click “Connect”.
- Log into the 3CX Virtual Machine with local administrator credentials.
- In the Virtual Machine Connection application, click on “Action Menu” and select “Insert Integration Services Setup Disk”.
- Select “Install Hyper-V Integration Services” in the “AutoPlay dialog box” and press “Enter”.
- When the installation finishes, you will be prompted to restart the virtual machine. Click “OK” to restart the machine.
- Validate after the reboot if the network adapter and time source are set correctly.
Verifying Integrated Services are installed
The integrated services solve some issues related to NTP and performance of the network card adapters.
Check if network drivers are installed
- To verify if you have Integrated Services installed perform an “ipconfig”.
- Type “ipconfig /all” and press “Enter”.
- If the result of the ipconfig shows your Network Adapter as “Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Adapter”, you will need to install the Integration Services.
- If the result of the “ipconfig” command shows your Network Adapter as “Hyper-V network Adapter”, you already have Integration Services installed.
Check if NTP source is set to the Hyper V server
- Open the Administrative Command prompt on the 3CX VM: Click “Start” > Click “Run” > Type “CMD”
- In the Administrative Command prompt run “w32tm /query /source”
- The command’s result should be “VM IC Time Synchronization Provider”
- If you read “Local CMOS Clock” or a name of an NTP host you need to install integrated services on the VM.
- Refer to the Appendix to find out why keeping the time is an essential part
Debian 9 on Microsoft Hyper-V
3CX on Debian does not support the “Legacy Network Adapter” network adapter type. Beside all the disadvantages of those adapters in general, 3CX explicitly requires a standard “Network Adapter”.
Generation 2 VMs
Refrain from using Generation 2 VMs on Hyper-V, as only Generation 1 will work with 3CX.
Installation of integrated services
Debian does not support the installation of integrated services. Therefore the installation and configuration of the NTP Client needs to be performed after creating the VM instance, by running these commands:
apt-get install ntp