Hosting 3CX PBX in Google Cloud
On this topic
You can easily host 3CX in your own Google Cloud account. This allows you to manage all your servers from one Google Cloud account and leverage your Google Cloud knowledge to stay in full control of your 3CX install. This guide explains how to get a free Google Cloud account with $300 credit and use it to setup a VM with a 3CX hosted PBX using PBX Express.
Step 1 - Getting your Free Google Cloud trial account
- Login in to your Google/Gmail account
- Visit https://cloud.google.com and click the trial button.
- Select your country and then the “agree” option and then click “Agree and Continue”.
- Complete your personal or business information.
- Enter your credit/debit card information. Google will now create your Google Cloud account with $300 credit. More Information here: https://cloud.google.com/free/.
Step 2 - Enable the Google Cloud Compute Engine and API
- Navigate to the Compute Engine link Click the top left icon to bring out the menu and select the “Compute Engine” service.
- Your Compute Engine & API will now be enabled for your Google Cloud Account. This is needed so as to allow 3CX PBX Express to create a VM instance with 3CX on it for you.
- You can create a project if you wish - or let Google create a project for you using the default name “My First Project” upon running the 3CX PBX Express.
Step 3 - Take the PBX express
Now fill in the trial / free license key form here. You will have to confirm your email. In the email the link to the PBX express will be sent. Click on the link to take the PBX express to setup and configure your hosted 3CX PBX in your cloud account.
Step 4 - Select Google and allow PBX Express to setup the machine
- Authenticate with your Google account in the same browser window
- In step 5 of the PBX Express, select Google as your Cloud Provider.
- You will be asked whether 3CX PBX Express is allowed to manage your Google Cloud Platform to setup the machine. Click Allow
- Select your preferred location and finish the PBX Express. Your hosted 3CX PBX will now be setup in your Google Cloud Account!
- After PBX Express is finished you can go to Compute Engine > VM instances and see your 3CX PBX machine.
Trial Quota Limitations
It has to be noted that the trial account comes with some default quota limitations which can be increased. Alternatively, you can move away from the trial offer and switch to a paid account. For example the free account allows a maximum of 1 static public IP or up to 8 IPs in total which are called “ephemeral”. Ephemeral IPs do not change unless the VM is rebooted or stopped. So it’s best to setup the VM in “dynamic public IP mode” to host more than one 3CX instance in a trial account.