• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Update 6 Final is out - with new WebRTC softphone!

Please note that once you update an extension password the phone will need to be reprovisioned or the extension will fail to register to the PBX. If you are using supported devices once you press the regenerate password the device will automatically reprovision and update its password.

For our handsets registered to Snom m700 DECT base stations, I just needed to restart each base station to get the extensions updated. I’m thankful it was as easy as that!

It’s great that there are new languages available for the extension welcome messages. What languages are these, and how does one go about switching to or selecting the desired language?

Reactions: Nick Galea
It’s great that there are new languages available for the extension welcome messages. What languages are these, and how does one go about switching to or selecting the desired language?

Currently there is support for English, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Chinese, German, Spanish and French. PBX, if no custom email template is used, it will select the proper language based on OS.

Thank you for the reply, @mariosM_3CX. You refer to the OS of the system underlying the PBX, I assume?

I have a somewhat bilingual environment here in Germany, with a few handfuls of clients—to include myself—being native speakers of English. I've installed the OS in English for my sake and for wider serviceability should someone else need to tend to it. However, if this limits the welcome message to English, then I'll need to change that, right? Or is it fixed in place until reinstallation?

I would love to see the language of all client notifications follow a setting in the extension instead of that of the OS. It makes sense, don't you think? It's a big, wide, multilingual world, after all!

There is one problem I discovered with this 'regenerate' ... it also resets the voicemail PIN :(
I would not regenerate until you have a reason to, i.e the user has forgotten their PIN, or, use the re-sending of the Welcome email and new PIN to remind users that they need to change it now and again, so you have done it for them this time, like MS do with Outlook.

Also, an opportunity to tell them about the new features?

Reactions: Nick Galea
@mariosM_3CX and @IoannisM_3CX

I now have updated to SP6 now and have done first (unfortunately unsuccessful) tests to the Opus Code

I have :
- changed the “Codec Priority for Internal Calls” to OPUS, G722, PCMA, PCMU, GSM, G729
- also for “External calls” (-> should not be relevant for my test)
- added Opus codec to SIP-Trunk (-> should not be relevant for my test)
- installed the latest iOS App on an IPhone
- installed the latest Android App on an Android mobile
- started a trace in the 3cx
- done an internal call (between iOS-App and Android-App)

Unfortunately, I can’t see any use of the Opus Codec in the trace... :(
In my understanding, the OPUS codec should be used end-to-end automatically (I don’t see any specific config settings to the app: not on the 3cx and not in the app -> so I think this should work automatically...?)

Do I have to do some additional config or restart the 3cx to activate the new priority?

Thanks for a feedback.

@FredyWenger Make sure to set OPUS first in codec priority for your extensions as well. Go to Extension Settings >> Phone Provisioning Tab, set OPUS at the top and reprovision the clients.

@mariosM_3CX:
Thanks for your feedback, but I'm not able to add the Opus codec to the extension as we don't have devices, that support Opus (we use snom d345 yet) -> the opus codec is not showed under "add codec".
I think, the codecs to the extensions have to be configured for each device(?), that is configured to an extension (and - as I wrote - I don't have found any settings to the App's).
Therefore I have done the tests with the app's (that should have Opus support per default).
How can I add the Opus codec to an extension without a HW device with Opus support?

Thanks for a further reply..

How can I add the Opus codec to an extension without a HW device with Opus support?

You need to select 3CX Client under "Your Phones" section as shown below and not your ip phone.
Once you select 3CX client, scroll down and configure the codecs. When done, reprovision the client.
upload_2018-8-31_14-31-57.png

@mariosM_3CX
I'm confused...
On my extension, I am able to add opus to the 3cx client…
I have installed the 3cx client, but don't use it (I work with the snom d345).
To the other extension, there is no 3cx client installed (as we don't use it), so I'm not able to add the Opus codec also to the other extension.
Further 3cx says, that Opus is not yet supported in the 3cx Windows client…
I don't see the impact to the App's (as they should work in parallel to the other devices)..

So.. can it really be, that I have to install the 3CX Windows Client also to the other extension only to be able to add the Opus codec to the extension and the mobile App's then will use the Opus codec although Opus is configured only to the 3cx Windows client…?
=> I can't comprehend that, but will do it, if you confirm the behavior

Thanks for a Furter reply

@FredyWenger

You don't need to install the windows client. 3CX client in provisioning tab does not refer only to windows client. Settings you configure here will apply for all 3CX clients including IOS and android.

what was the point of regenerating the PIN #'s on accounts? you didn't increase the # of required digits from 4 to a higher number??? This has created a HUGE problem with backlash.

@mariosM_3CX
Thanks for clarifying (that the 3cx client settings are for all soft clients).
I now have added the 3cx client to the second extension and configured both (added Opus codec and set priority).
But... the Opus codec is still not used...
Do I have to do more… - maybe reprovision the App's from QR-code?
Thanks

Last edited:
There is one problem I discovered with this 'regenerate' ... it also resets the voicemail PIN :(

This makes this Idea much more necessary. Please vote for the ability to upload bulk changes without having to delete the extensions first.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threa...t-having-to-delete-the-extension-first.52302/

With this ability, you could export your extensions, change only the needed fields like the registration credentials and phone passwords and then re-upload it without the loss of voicemail greetings or messages and wouldn't have to change everyone's voicemail PIN.
Or, since using the Regenerate button is useful, you could export, remove everything from the CSV except the voicemail PINs, regenerate all extensions, then upload the CSV to reset the PINs to their previous values.

This would also knock out this request which is to be able to mass update the outbound DIDs.

https://www.3cx.com/community/threads/bulk-update-outbound-caller-id.58821/

Let's get to voting!

Reactions: tvdir
@mariosM_3CX
Update:
I have done a new provisioning for both apps (over QR code).
Then I have started a new trace and done a call…
In the trace, I now can see (for the first time), that Opus is in the invite…
But the quality of the call is not better then before (G722) and I have noted a strange behavior in wireshark:
I'm not able to decode a full voip call in the telephony menu, whereby I still can decode sip flows.
Further, I have strange chairs (rhombus with question mark) shown in the sip flow in wireshark…

Has anybody done successful tests with 3cx and Opus (with whatever hard- or soft-device) with the result, that the voice quality has become noticeable better?

Hi,

I am still only seeing "New 15.5 SP5 BETA Update Available". I do not see option to upgrade to the actual release?

Also we are running a PBX Express install in the AWS cloud on Debian. There is no firewall other than as configured by the 3cx wizard/as amended by IP Blacklists. Do we need to make changes here/anything to be concerned about in AWS?

Can our staff just upgrade their 3CX App through the Google Play app store, or will they need to re provision their extension?

If you are in Debian 8 then this update will not occur.

Take a full backup and keep it in a neutral location in order to be safe 100% and then proceed as per the following article :

https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/upgrading-debian/

This resolved the issue for me with a PBXexpress install hosted on AWS...

If you are in Debian 8 then this update will not occur.

Take a full backup and keep it in a neutral location in order to be safe 100% and then proceed as per the following article :

https://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/upgrading-debian/

This resolved the issue for me with a PBXexpress install hosted on AWS...

Thanks so much for sharing that link. The update worked a treat as per the blog post.

Only concern I have is the WebRTC beta feature. I am making inbound/outbound calls but no audio. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
Audio began working after opening the ports in AWS (9000 - 10999).

Last edited:
Hello,

The WebRTC mode still active when the browser is in background ?
Best regards,

I have a Yealink t54s but I am not seeing the option to add the OPUS codec on the phone provisioning tab? Any idea why? Also using a standard template not a custom one

Attachments

• codec.PNG
    codec.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 10

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaayb512
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.