• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Update 6 Final is out - with new WebRTC softphone!

I am guessing the documentation is not as detailed as it should be. Further tests show that you can can stop the recording of calls using the 3CX client softphone, as well, even if mandated by the admin on the backend. So, I am thinking that, yes all calls are recorded by default at their start, but that doesn't mean you can't stop them from being recorded at any further time. I have also tested and found that you CANNOT restart the recording afterwards though, even if the softphone button appears to be "lit/engaged". I think this applies across the board to whatever phone is being used, soft or not.

This Enterprise 'start/stop' ability is really more of a 'restart' or 'start again' ability, should you pay for the higher tiered license.

So.... 'Record all calls' = record at start, with ability to stop at will, and no ability to start again, unless you have the Enterprise license.

I am really hoping someone from 3CX can add to this.

Hello @network36

Please note that to be able to stop the users from starting or stopping a recording you need a Enterprise licence. 2018-09-13_10h03_57.png
If you are not running an Enterprise licence then this option is ON by default. That means that users will be able to Start or Stop the recording from their client.
The options in the management console dictates the default behaviour of the client when a phone call starts. If the option is set to "Recording off" then once the call is established there will be no recording running. The user is able to manually start it if he wishes however. The opposite is true when the option is set to "Record all calls". Once a call is established the Recording will start automatically but the user is able to stop the recording from the client.

If you are running an Enterprise licence you have the ability to lock the selected behaviour by not allowing the users to be able to start or stop the recordings.

Assuming a user has the right to start and stop the recordings and he chooses to stop the recording during a call and then starts it again then the PBX will continue to write the recording to the same file.

We are running Professional Perpetual 15.5.15502.6. Call recording settings for all extensions are "Recording off".

Hello @network36

Please note that to be able to stop the users from starting or stopping a recording you need a Enterprise licence. View attachment 8556
If you are not running an Enterprise licence then this option is ON by default. That means that users will be able to Start or Stop the recording from their client.

This is only true for Webclient (BETA).

This is wrong for Softphone at Windows. Record Button is inactive.

This is wrong for Android-Client. Record Button is active, but nothing happens if pushed.

If we say "Recording off", this should mean Recording off always, anywhere and forever. Therefor the behaviour of Softphone and Android-Client is right, but the Webclient is broken.

Stefan

If you are experiencing different behaviour from the one outlined above then you need to create a ticket with our support department so they can investigate the issue and see what is causing this behaviour.
If we say "Recording off", this should mean Recording off always, anywhere and forever. Therefor the behaviour of Softphone and Android-Client is right, but the Webclient is broken.
To enforce this you need an Enterprise licence as explained in my previous post.

Question, the new 3cx softphone in the webclient , which codec does it use? I tested it a bit with my collegue but the sound quality is quite bad so far. Is there a way to change the softphone codec or because it's still in the beta we have to wait for it?

I'm not from 3cx and don't use the webclient, but as far as know, all soft clients are configured over the "3xc-client" to the extension.
Do you have added the Opus codec to the "3cx-client" configuration to the extension and reconfigured the codec priorities?

I'm not from 3cx and don't use the webclient, but as far as know, all soft clients are configured over the "3xc-client" to the extension.
Do you have added the Opus codec to the "3cx-client" configuration to the extension and reconfigured the codec priorities?
I checked it, Opus codec is now the top codec but doesn't seem to be making a difference to the softphone in the webclient. Will try a bit more and test some settings to see if i can find which setting it is. Thanks for your reply

… and you also have configured the Opus Codec under "settings" (internal / external calls)?

… and you also have configured the Opus Codec under "settings" (internal / external calls)?
Yes i did, doesn't make a difference, all audio calls from the 3cx client on the phone or the yealinks are good quality , the only thing is the new softphone which audio quality is bad. We are only testing it a bit in our office to see if it works. I will await a bit more to see if someone else experienced the same thing with the quality of the softphone or it's just me and i need to change a setting.

OPUS is still under testing. But feel free to enable it from the Phone's UI.
Server side configuration is required (from the codecs UI in settings)
After this configure the clients and Phones to use Opus. Then encode and decode will be made in opus if PBX delivers audio is enabled OR for experimental purposes, just leave OPUS only in the clients / IP Phone. then you force only opus.

Putting opus at the top: Opus requires a lot of CPU power and processing. So if notice nothing (no cpu usage) then nothing is using OPUS because if something is transcoding in opus, you would definitely realize. It is very cpu expensive. Approx 3 times more than G729.

We will release guides on opus once the testing is complete. For now it is experimental for users to try it out. It is also not 100% solidified in the IP Phones either. We are working with manufacturers on this.

@nb
Thanks for your posting and explanations, but that sounds a bit strange for me...
In my understanding, the devices should encode and decode the audio with Opus and not the PBX (PBX delivers Audio should not have to be set).
I assume, that (later) Opus should work end to end also without to set "PBX delivers Audio"...?
Can you confirm that or - else - explain the reason more in detail ?
And... can you give us a timeline, until when the "3cx tests" should be finished and a new 3cx version will be released with full Opus support (including templates with Opus codec to Yeaklink, Grandstream and other devices that support Opus including their DECT devices)?

I think this would be very interesting for all users...
Thanks

@nb
Thanks for your posting and explanations, but that sounds a bit strange for me...
In my understanding, the devices should encode and decode the audio with Opus and not the PBX (PBX delivers Audio should not have to be set).
I assume, that (later) Opus should work end to end also without to set "PBX delivers Audio"...?
Can you confirm that or - else - explain the reason more in detail ?
And... can you give us a timeline, until when the "3cx tests" should be finished and a new 3cx version will be released with full Opus support (including templates with Opus codec to Yeaklink, Grandstream and other devices that support Opus including their DECT devices)?

I think this would be very interesting for all users...
Thanks

It is strange because you are looking for different answers maybe. If codecs don't match, then PBX will need to encode decode. Now I also have limited time to write here but to fill in the gaps, you might think you are using opus on both sides, but there is not just 1 opus codec out there. opus has different sampling rates and these might also invoke up or downsamping of the codec.

Anyways - Yes opus will work end to end (and it is recommended to work like this) without the media server acting as a man in the middle. That way you get the best quality output and remove all stress from the server. However this in real life does not always happen. All the basic concepts of codec and audio transmission all apply with Opus. Nothing changed.

Timeline is unclear. Otherwise I would have stated it. This can take months. We are talking about the support of a new codec here not some notepad application that you open and launch. If you want to speed this up, then use it, and report issues you have - to us and to the manufacturers.

Reactions: craigreilly
@nb
Thanks for your open comment
I'm facilitated, that the opus codec coding/decoding should work at the devices (at the end).
But I'm (an surely other users) a bit disappointed, as you speak from "this can take months"...
I have bought new Yealink devices after the SP6 update in the hope, that they will be fully supported with Opus in the very near time...
But... that's life…
So.. I still hope, that it not will take months until 3cx does fully support Opus ;)

How can i get a DEMO PRO license key.

I started that version, is only Standard edition. I want to test CALL CENTER features from PRO EDITION few days.

It would also be nice if you allowed all the phone templates to support the VLAN settings. Having to walk around and manually sent them is a huge pain.

Unable to update to SP6, every time I try this is what comes up in the Updatlog1:

SP link: https://downloads.3cx.com/download/v155/sp150/PatchX10_64.zip
Cannot download file, Exception:System.Net.WebException: The client and server cannot communicate because they don't possess a common algorithm

Could it be that you still require TLS 1.0?

Is this upgrade also valid for NFR licenses ?
Mine has been stuck at release 15.5 for months, and auto-update is on...

Is this upgrade also valid for NFR licenses ?
Mine has been stuck at release 15.5 for months, and auto-update is on...
15.5 is the version.
There have been 6 Service Packs to it. So 15.5 alone doesn’t tell us much about your specific version.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.