Configure Patton FXS VoIP Gateways with 3CX
Supported Models: Patton SmartNode SN4112 and SN4114
FXS gateways connect internal analog devices such as fax machines and phones, and register them as extensions / fax extensions to your 3CX. Those extensions can be addressed as normal phones however their functionality is limited due to the capabilities of the analog technology.
- Trinity Firmware/Devices are NOT supported
- The device must be local to 3CX, in the same subnet and/or locally routed subnet (including site to site VPN)
This guide focuses on the setup of FXS. If you are looking for another technology:
- ISDN T1/E1/S2M/PRI: Patton ISDN T1/E1
- ISDN BRI go here: Patton ISDN BRI
- Analog FXO go here: Patton Analog FXO
Prepare the Patton FXS Gateway
In order to identify your FXS gateway IP address follow our guide “How to Use the Patton Discovery Tool”. Once the device is detected, download and upgrade the firmware of your Patton FXS gateway. Note: All templates are designed to work with Patton SmartWare firmware and the device should run on the “latest 6.X firmware”. Trinity Firmware/Devices are currently NOT supported.
To update the firmware:
- Open your web-browser to your FXS gateway IP address retrieved in the previous step.
- Login to your account (Default username: administrator, password: leave empty).
- Navigate to “Import/Export” → “Import Firmware” → and in “Download Firmware” choose your firmware .zip file downloaded and then press “Import”.
- After you have successfully uploaded and extracted the firmware press “Reload” to start applying the upgrade.
- It takes some minutes for the firmware upgrade to complete. Do not turn off the power until the update is complete.
Step 1: Add and Choose Device
Navigate to “FXS/DECT” within the 3CX Management Console and select “Add FXS/DECT”:
- Select Brand: Patton
- Select model/device: Patton 2 Ports FXS GW or Patton 4 Ports FXS GW
- MAC Address: Enter the FXS device’s MAC address (underneath the device)
- Press “OK” to create the device.
Step 2: FXS Line Setup
You need to define the device and line specific options:
- Gateway Hostname or IP: Enter your Patton FXS device’s IP address.
(the IP address will be set to static in case DHCP is being used)
- Gateway SIP Port: Enter 5060
- Subnet Mask: Enter your Network Mask size (e.g. 255.255.255.0).
(if network topologies requires routing informations such as default routes, see here how to add the default route to a Patton device).
- FAX Transmission Mode: In this section select how the Patton gateway should handle fax connections. In case your VoIP provider supports T38 or you have a Patton FXO or ISDN configured for T38 then set the codec to T38. However if you are running a VoIP Provider which does not support the T.38 protocol, select “Fax in Audio”. In T.38 mode the Patton FXS device will actively switch to the T.38 protocol once the call is established.
- Tone Set: Define in which country your are using this device. If the country is not listed request from your telco the used tone set of your line.
Step 3: Map extensions
Navigate to “Extension” tab in the “FXS/Dect” device to assign which extensions should be use from the device.
Follow the above image in order to define which extensions will be using each port on the FXS gateway. In the example above, port 1 on the FXS Gateway will be mapped to extension 001, port 2 will be mapped to extension 002 and so on. Finalize the configuration by saving the config with “OK”.
Note: If you plan on using fax machines on the FXS gateway, please create dedicated fax extensions in the “Fax Extension” menu (Refer to step 4 for information on how to do this).
Step 4: Provision the Gateway
Reopen the just created FXS device and click on the “Provisioning URL”. A file will be downloaded to your PC which will be used in a few moments.
- Open your web browser and connect to your Patton FXS device.
- Log in (default username: administrator, no password is required (blank field))
- Navigate to the “Import Configuration” page (e.g. http://192.168.9.163/imp-cfg.html whereby the gateways IP address is 192.168.9.163).
- Upload the configuration file onto the Patton device by using the “Choose File” and “Import” button.
- In order for the configuration to be applied, reload the device. The mapped extension will now be visible in the “Phones” tab (except fax extensions, which will be shown in the “System Extension” tab).
Step 5: Add Fax extension (Optional)
In case you are using fax machines connected to your FXS gateway, “Fax Extensions” must be used instead of using a regular extension. You can do so by:
- Go to the 3CX Management Console.
- Navigate to “FAX Extensions → +Add”.
- Define the “Fax Extension”, the “Fax Extension Authentication ID” and the “Fax Extension Authentication Password”.